Votes: 1 0.8%
  • None of the Above

Votes: 2 1.6%
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so you need / want a 2 + 2 hardtop; its your hard earned $.. choose below or pass all together...

Lotus Evora, 2970 lbs, 170.9" x ? , 3.5 L V6 280 HP, $70K

Porsche 911, 3,100 lbs., 175.6" x 71.2" , 3.6 L F6 NA 345 HP, $ 75.6K

Nissan GTR , 3,850 lbs., 183.3" x 74.6", 3.8L V6 TT 480 HP, $70,475

2009 Nissan GT-R - Road Test/Japanese Performance/High Performance/Hot Lists/Reviews/Car and Driver - Car And Driver

Jaguar XK, 3,671 lbs., 188.6 x 74.5, " 4.2 V8 300 HP $75.5K

BMW 135i, 3373 lbs., 171.7" x 68.8", 3.0 I6 TT 300 HP, $ 34,9K

BMW North America

Mazda RX8, , 2976 lbs., 174.2 x 69.7" , 1.3 L R 231 HP, $28.5K

2009 Mazda RX-8 On Sale With Eight-Year Warranty - Car News/Latest News & Reviews/Car Shopping/Hot Lists/Reviews/Car and Driver - Car And Driver

Ford Mustang GT, 3523 lbs., 187.6 x 73.9, 4.6 V8 , 300 HP, $26.4K

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...i'm kind of torn between the xk and the evora; the former feels like a junior aston, but i'd need to see the latter in person to get a sense if its finish quality is up to par...i'm also a bit fond of the rx-8, but in my mind it's not really in the same class...

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Id need performance stats on the Evora before I chose it over the 911. I dont know, love the 911 but theyre far more common than I can imagine any Lotus ever being which is a plus for lotus to me. 3rd is XK... R version please...like those too. Nissan 4th, its growing on me, but will never pass the former on my list. The other cars listed I wouldnt bother with.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
GTR only costs 70k in imagination land... gotta tack on 5-20k depending on the dealer :p

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
The GTR, just like any other hot car, will go down to MSRP in time - probably by the time the Eagle comes out.

I wonder if Lotus dealers will try to get over MSRP for the Eagle when it arrives.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Evora in a heartbeat in that crowd.

Throw a used Ferrari 550 in the mix and it'd be a tougher call, but I'd probably still go with the Evora.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
The Evora is slowly warming up to me but the headlights and nose resemble the Tesla - Not necessarily a bad thing!

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Preface: I never understood the purpose of 2+2 cars.

If you already own an Elise/Exige, there is no point to own the Evora. Sure it probably offers the best handling of this lineup, but its no better(aka worse) than the 111r. It also looks the best. But, its not like you are going to be doing any exhibitions with 4 people in the car, so premier handling capabilities are not on the tip-top of the list for a car like this. It's also not like the rest of the selection will offer garbage in terms of handling, sporting feel, and style. If you want the best handling, you get a 111r/Atom/Caterham. In a car like this, however, high speed cruising(GT) comfort, which include high speed overtaking and sound level, is important. Of the cars in this selection that I consider "equal"(which discounts Mustang, 135i & RX-8 on the low end of the spectrum, and maybe GT-R on the high end), the Evora is bettered in at least one category by each car. Of these cars, I expect it to offer the best in style, and handling capabilities. But in a car like this, handling is not the utmost priority....or is it. The Evora betters the rest in the handling and style department.

After much consideration, I have come to this conclusion which makes anything else I was going write entirely moot.

In a car like this, you expect a little of everything. An all-rounder. Sort of like 75% in every category. Now, all of them have the 75% in every category, and offer a little extra in some category(Luxurious comfort for XK, Brute AWD Power for GT-R, 85% for 911). One thing no other car on the market offers is supreme handling & exotic styling. And that is the void that the Evora will offer. I only hope that the Evora really does offer the same all-round 75% as all the others, and not 65% where you still have to put up with a car full of "almost adequate". Because I don't think it offers enough to make that sort of trade off worth it.

I like the Evora. I expect it to take more would-be cayman owners than 911 owners, though. The 911 is the all-rounder of the all-rounders.

I voted for GT-R(I'm from the playstation generation, and already have a 111r available. Refer to post.).

Carry on.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Go to the subforum and look for the "NEW THREAD" icon above the threads, to the left

·
Registered
654 Posts
I'd probably go for the 911. Never thought I would, but I like the idea of being able to drive around in my "fun" car with my two sons (ages 7 and 9). Don't underestimate how much fun it is to share a great car with two little boys that look up to you. That is the true purpose for a 2+2 sports car.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Don't underestimate how much fun it is to share a great car with two little boys that look up to you. That is the true purpose for a 2+2 sports car.
I recently realized the same thing. I use to enjoy driving the Elise or motorcycles in the canyons solo but I'm finding those same canyons are much more fun when my family's together - and not at a seriously fasts pace.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
2+2? The RX8 sure, the GT-R perhaps, the 911... If it's someone (adult sized) that you dislike... However, I'll believe the Evora is a 2+2 when I see two real life adult humans fit in the back seats. Until then, I just don't see how it could be. Sure it may have seats back there, but usable space enough to accommodate two adults (even adults you dislike) is another matter.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts