The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2011 Lotus Evora
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading through my recently acquired copy of Lotus Evora - Sublime Supercar by Johnny Tipler and came across the following interesting line (page 68):
"According to Ride and Handling boss Matt Becker, 'The handling is so good that, even fully loaded, the Evora is quicker around the Nurburgring Nordschleife that the Elise. The objective was to make it handle as well as the Elise, and it exceeded all expectations'"

·
Registered
442 Posts
Far from an expert but I know I can go a hell of a lot faster through the windy bits in my Evora than I could in my Elise.
Maybe it just inspires confidence because its so stable and predictable but if you knew what you were doing an Elise would be quicker?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I think there are two categories for handling - objective handling capability, which is related to the car's mechanical capability where the car turns as the driver inputs and subjective handling feel, which is related to how the driver perceives the feedback that the car provides to the input.

I'm sure Evora handles a lot better in terms of objective capability, especially in the high speed track like the Nürburgring because of newer chassis and wider tires. In fact, Lotus Evora's mechanical grip on the skid-pad test is 0.98 which matches Elise S2s. However, Porsche with advanced adjustable anti-roll bars and stuff will have a higher mechanical grip than most road-oriented Lotus.

But, subjective handling feel is something that Elise is better than Evora due to lack of powered steering and light weight. However, even though Elise is better I believe that Evora is miles better than Modern Porsches and other sports cars in the market. In fact, Gordon Murray praised Evora for having a handling that is suitable for all situations, probably because it has a hydraulic steering.

·
Premium Member
6,604 Posts
The Elise could make you pucker a lot more at the limits, and you felt you were at those limits...say crabbing the downhill at LRP and knowing you were at 100% grip+

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
I think there are two categories for handling - objective handling capability, which is related to the car's mechanical capability where the car turns as the driver inputs and subjective handling feel, which is related to how the driver perceives the feedback that the car provides to the input.
Very well worded.

@greginportlandor The 'ring is also a very high speed track, and high speeds don't benefit from power/weight but rather power/drag. In this regard, the Evora has a great margin over the Elise which runs out of steam shortly after 100mph.

·
Less is Better
2,565 Posts
There's always been an obsession and fascination in the automotive world around numbers. Power, speed, lap times. Most of which aren't relevant or important to most people. There are ALOT of cars that are faster around any given track than an Elise or an Evora for that matter. It doesn't mean they are more fun.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
I've been reading through my recently acquired copy of Lotus Evora - Sublime Supercar by Johnny Tipler and came across the following interesting line (page 68):
"According to Ride and Handling boss Matt Becker, 'The handling is so good that, even fully loaded, the Evora is quicker around the Nurburgring Nordschleife that the Elise. The objective was to make it handle as well as the Elise, and it exceeded all expectations'"
I recently read that book. It was a bit light on technical stuff but the photography was fantastic. They really built up how exciting the car was and how they expected it to be a big hit. Actual sales were not as good as expected though, too bad.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
all the reviews of the an Evora - S1 and S2 - all come out with the same result - "it's a great, amazing car! one of the best to get!" but very few seem to know about it and that hurt the sales... i would love to see some comparison numbers on various tracks between the 2... or throw in S2 and S3 Exige as well, you know, just for fun. I've personally felt the benefits of the increase downforce of my Exige compared to a friends former Elise...

·
Registered
537 Posts
I've extensively tracked both a heavily modified Exige and a moderately modified Evora. The Evora definitely has higher handling limits which is mainly attributed to having significantly more tire and thus more mechanical grip. This is what ultimately limits the Exige/Elise platform ... the inability to increase tire/wheel sizes without massive modifications. I upgraded my Exige to the widest setup possible at 205/245 and it made a significant difference in overall lap times. If you could increase them up to 225/265 and beyond, I bet the handling would be on par with the Evora.

Just my $0.02 ;)

Cheers,
Zoomby_U

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Had two s111 cars, and now my Evora 400. Not a back to back comparison but the evora feels more stable. I chalk it up to wheelbase and tire size. I feel like turn in, and steering feel was better in the s111 cars. Evora steering is the best power steering I’ve experienced. Great feel/weight. If lotus gets nothing else right, it’s steering. Thankfully they do a lot more right than just that. The more I drive this car the more I enjoy it

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,477 Posts
I think this section might have a slight amount of bias. A thousand pounds is quite a bit of weight to overcome WRT to handling, acceleration and braking. That said I have an Exige S with a lot of mods and haven't driven the latest Evora with reasonable power.

San

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
The larger, heavier, taller a vehicle gets, the more you need to get fancy to make it handle. Notice how simple the suspension is on the Elise.
Much depends on what speed you want to handle at. A larger heavier car is going to feel more stable at 120 mph than a lighter one.
But it cannot change direction as quickly. Due to size,at some point with a tight enough corner the large car the correct line is going to be off the track, so the smaller car can get you there faster
I don't foresee Evoras becoming the autocross monsters Elises are.

After driving a S2 Seven for over 15 years, all yer cars is overweight......and oversized......

·
Less is Better
2,565 Posts
The larger, heavier, taller a vehicle gets, the more you need to get fancy to make it handle. Notice how simple the suspension is on the Elise.
Much depends on what speed you want to handle at. A larger heavier car is going to feel more stable at 120 mph than a lighter one.
But it cannot change direction as quickly. Due to size,at some point with a tight enough corner the large car the correct line is going to be off the track, so the smaller car can get you there faster
I don't foresee Evoras becoming the autocross monsters Elises are.

After driving a S2 Seven for over 15 years, all yer cars is overweight......and oversized......
Wheelbase, weight distribution and total weight.

·
Registered
253 Posts
We all have bias toward the car we owned. I brought all 3 to experience myself - Elise, Exige, Evora S. I drive better with the Evora through the mountain cures, rains, unpaved roads, etc. and feel much more comfortable less nervous at the limits. My Evora is my go-to car for almost all occasions. If I can have only one car, it would be - Evora.

·
Registered
127 Posts
However, even though Elise is better I believe that Evora is miles better than Modern Porsches and other sports cars in the market. .
Um. Not sure what Porsche you've driven, but I have both and have tracked both, and there is no chance the Evora is in the same league. Don't get me wrong, the evora is a great handling car... but no way i'd say its even close to my GT4.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Um. Not sure what Porsche you've driven, but I have both and have tracked both, and there is no chance the Evora is in the same league. Don't get me wrong, the evora is a great handling car... but no way i'd say its even close to my GT4.
To be fair, if your signature is accurate, you're comparing a factory built track car for series racing to a street car on track. That is not really a fair comparison. The Evora 400 / GT is pretty comparable to the street versions of the GT4. I wouldn't claim that the Evora is miles better but I would definitely say it's on par with the GT4.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I much preferred the Evora 400 to the Gt4. But I guess that’s why I bout another lotus and not a Porsche

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm not talking about handling limits, precision and mechanical grip, but rather, I'm talking about unfiltered feel. Imo, the steering feedback is raw on Evora which makes the steering to have more sensation. I do agree that Porsches have precise handling, and since they got higher mechanical limit, it has better objective handling - but not the raw feedback and feel which is why 991 series 911 were criticized against 997. This is agreed not only by American reviewers such as Motortrend, Car and Driver, and Road&Track but also by the German Car Magazine by Autobild. Autobild even said in its comparison against 997 that Evora has top handling.

Now, for the GT4/GT3 you mentioned, I understand the fact that Porsche tuned these car's steering so that you can feel every bump of the road, which makes the steering lot more raw and I do believe that they are really good. First, I do still believe that Evora provides better feel of the limit, however, GT4/GT3 has tons more mechanical grip so if you are saying its simply better - I agree it is. However, I hope you separate the feedback and feel from grip.

Also, you must understand that Evora should be compared to Carrera Series and non-GT Cayman. To be honest, I only have experience with GT series 911s, but a person who have tons of experience with Carrera series 911 told me that Evora's handling is at least better than 911 GTS after driving my car at a autocross event - he said it with surprise because he was expecting regular Cayman level involvement. I like the fact that Evora is tuned as a daily friendly while having GT

Also, my club in my town has four GT3s, two GT3 991.1, one GT3RS 991.1 and one GT3 991.2 and GTS. And one of the GT3 owners used to own GT4.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts