The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've had an N/A Evora and currently have an Evora S. The N/A had 18/19 (PSI around 34/36) wheels while the S has the 19/20 (PSI around 35/38 - Lotus recommends 33.5 and 36 psi).

I've taken both to speeds over 150 (reading 160 on the speed) flat out acceleration, however the N/A just felt much more planted. But, I remember feeling confident with N/A at those speed. Not so on the S. The S feels light and almost twitchy at those speeds.

Any thoughts? I would have thought the S would feel as planted if not more so. Perhaps the tire pressure was too high? Or, could the extra power of the supercharger contribute to the light feeling in the front? The S kept pulling and could easily go faster while the N/A was slowly tapering off in terms of it's ability to go faster.

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
The S at 140 indicated numerous times and 150 indicated once. Either way it felt very planted especially compared to the Elise at 140 indicated. Just to be clear, that was in KPH :D

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
That should be an easy one, have the alignment checked.

Living in the country without general speed limits on the Autobahn (though many stretches are limited) I regularly have the Evora S up to top speed (so far 292,3 KpH) and it feels incredibly planted to the road.

When I got the car new it also felt unsteady and as the steering wheel was also off center I had the dealer do a full alignment adjustment. That fixed it, it feels more than rock solid since then.

The Evora is extremely sensitive in this area, it took the dealer 3 tries to get it right. One reason: the Evora "settles" into its suspension when driven. Put it on the stand and the setup is different. It also depends on the roads, with the wide tires the Lotus is also very sensitive to truck troughs on the road. One reason to avoid the right lane on the Autobahn.

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts

Living in the country without general speed limits on the Autobahn (though many stretches are limited) I regularly have the Evora S up to top speed (so far 292,3 KpH) and it feels incredibly planted to the road.

When I got the car new it also felt unsteady and as the steering wheel was also off center I had the dealer do a full alignment adjustment. That fixed it, it feels more than rock solid since then.

The Evora is extremely sensitive in this area, it took the dealer 3 tries to get it right. One reason: the Evora "settles" into its suspension when driven. Put it on the stand and the setup is different. It also depends on the roads, with the wide tires the Lotus is also very sensitive to truck troughs on the road. One reason to avoid the right lane on the Autobahn.
Just to be clear it was the Elise that felt a little floaty at higher speeds. The Evora feels very stable. Of course those quoted numbers are all in KPH :

Oh. Hello NSA. I didn't see you standing there.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
My NA has the 19/20 diamond cuts, & I too run at 35/38 psi. This is the recommended psi per my door sticker. Although I can't compare mine with the S, since I've not driven one at high speed, I can at least give some insight with the 19/20s on an NA. I've had mine up to the 168 mark & it did feel very planted/stable to me as well. And it did feel like it was running out of breath at the very end, as you mentioned.

That being said, I don't think tire pressure was your issue.

Disclaimer: All of my experiences are of course off of public roads & beyond the jurisdiction of any government entity. If you don't believe it, just ask me. :)

·
Registered
1,175 Posts

+1 -- accurate wheel alignment on these cars is very important. I had mine redone after about two months of ownership at an independent shop (where I could be right there with the technician doing the job), and when everything is set right the car tracks perfectly.

·
Registered
276 Posts
130+ @ Pacific Raceways

Planted and no issues, a little squirrely in the backend when standing on the brakes at that speed though.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks. I have seen threads on the wheel alignment being off. And, I've always wonder why a car renowned for its handling would leave the factory with poor alignment. I suppose the settling in of a suspension could account for that.

·
Premium Member
7,507 Posts
35/38 TOO MUCH PRESSURE. Try those 19/20's at 33/35!!

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Shouldn't the psi be higher if you're mostly doing freeway driving? I thought lower temperatures were for track usage -so the tires heat up faster.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Only if you want to save gas!

It shouldn't matter what type of road driving you do. I know that at the Lotus spec'd tire pressures on the door, the center of the tire wears out prematurely, which means that the contact patch is not ideal for grip.

I usually use 1 to 2 lbs less than spec, so about 32/34.

·
Premium Member
7,507 Posts
For all their brilliance, Lotus doesn't seem to understand cold pressures. They neglect to see what hot pressures are even driving in a straight line esp with that rear toe in . Drive 75 on the highway in a straight line and a car set to 33.5/36 cold will end up being ~~36-37/40+ hot which is WAY too highTheir is a correlation between street and track. Optimal grip occurs at similar pressures. (although tread temps will obviously be different)

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
With these kind of prices, who isn't trying to save on gas. rotfl

Only if you want to save gas!

It shouldn't matter what type of road driving you do. I know that at the Lotus spec'd tire pressures on the door, the center of the tire wears out prematurely, which means that the contact patch is not ideal for grip.

I usually use 1 to 2 lbs less than spec, so about 32/34.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry. Still don't know why my Samsung uploads pictures in weird orientations

·
Premium Member
7,507 Posts
Hell that's cheap. Back east add ~40 cent a gallon to that. Seriously Gas mileage isn't improved more than .1-.2 with a few psi. There are lunnies out their running 50psi (yes above max pressure in their tires!)

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have a launch edition Evora on 18/19 tyres, and I recently tried a new sports racer N/A on 19/20 tyres. The new car felt far less planted at higher speeds. On uneven roads, it felt almost as though it was bouncing from one bump to the next, never really settling. It certainly felt a little more sporty, (more like my old Exige) but really not what I expected from an Evora.

·
Premium Member
7,507 Posts
Darty?? Wider tires will tramline more as well.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Its true that at when warm, I'm at 37/40. This is the first time I've had 19/20s so I thought a higher pressure was needed due to the bigger rims.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts