The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am considering my next car, an Evora 400 or GT is on the list. I would like to hear from Evora owners on a few items. I know a lot of you love your car, but interested in a few objectively critical details.

Where I am coming from: I still have my Elise, fully track prepped (former motorcycle and car racer, and I still enjoy a track day now and then). I have had some great cars, but love the rear or mid-engine rear wheel drive cars. I just sold my Noble M400. It was great, but a bit too raw for me to take to the coast or a dinner date, or even just cruising with my wife.

Things I want include light weight, good handling, targa, rear wheel drive, manual, supercharger or maybe twin turbo, fairly unique. Reasonable maintenance. I can do a lot of it myself. And I know I can't have everything. That's ok. My budget is solid, but I am a value guy.

Cars on the list:

Evora
McLaren (Spider MP412C or 570S)
Porsche Targa 4S (2016+)
Audi R8
Jaguar F-Type R (as a placeholder only, I know it is soft)
Lotus 7

Comments welcome, especially on your Evora experience.

Thanks.
Jeff

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Evora
McLaren (Spider MP412C or 570S)
Porsche Targa 4S (2016+)
Audi R8
Jaguar F-Type R (as a placeholder only, I know it is soft)
Lotus 7
One of these is not like the others, haha. Not an opinion so much as an idea for something to look for - there seem to have been several McLaren owners on here, and it strikes me as what Lotus would've done with the budget. That being said, check the news; it seems like McLaren may not be around next year, so a warranty won't mean diddly, and depreciation may be unpleasant, to put it lightly.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Only one close to the Evora, imo, is the 570. Others are heavy old barges compared. Nice heavy old barges but not a Lotus.

·
Registered
2011 Evora NA 6sp
617 Posts
Only thing I don't like about the evora is the lack of aftermarket support and the lack of plentiful parts supply. Other than that it works for everything I do.

Reactions: ostatem3

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm certainly in the minority here, but I did not like the lack of power in the S1 Evora. Eventually sold it in favor of a 12C which feels like a big Evora. The 570S is a rung above the 12C in every aspect if you are willing to spend the extra money. Both McLarens are self-serviceable unless you have McLaren's warranty. The 12C is the best value at the $100k mark if you get a reasonable 3rd party warranty but I'm biased. Without the warranty, the price is going to be about the only thing cheap on that car. For what it's worth, I do miss my Evora and will likely be back in a Lotus soon.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm certainly in the minority here, but I did not like the lack of power in the S1 Evora. Eventually sold it in favor of a 12C which feels like a big Evora. The 570S is a rung above the 12C in every aspect if you are willing to spend the extra money. Both McLarens are self-serviceable unless you have McLaren's warranty. The 12C is the best value at the $100k mark if you get a reasonable 3rd party warranty but I'm biased. Without the warranty, the price is going to be about the only thing cheap on that car. For what it's worth, I do miss my Evora and will likely be back in a Lotus soon.
Thanks, this echos my concerns. I've driven every car on my list except the Evora...any local owners care to swing by? The McLaren is awesome. Some maintenance concern. But I lived through the Noble and made it work--how hard can it be?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Thanks, this echos my concerns. I've driven every car on my list except the Evora...any local owners care to swing by? The McLaren is awesome. Some maintenance concern. But I lived through the Noble and made it work--how hard can it be?
Despite one incident where the water pump and engine brace broke ($7k, fixed under warranty), my 12C has been much more reliable to me than the Evora. Generally rule of thumb when purchasing a 12C is a VIN number after 1000 and over 10,000 miles. I can't speak to the Evora GT, but the difference in quality between the McLaren and S1 Evora is night and day. The 570s is even better. You won't want to drive the R8 or Porsche after you test drive the Mac.

·
Premium Member
6,930 Posts
Like the way you snuck the 7 onto the list!!!

I have 65+ track days on my 2011 Evora S. damn sweet car bone stock. Finally after 6 yrs , I am starting to replace a few worn parts like motor mounts, sway bushings, shift links....maybe revalved suspension by next year. It just runs!! I have not been in a more well rounded car ever with this level of ability out of the box.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Like the way you snuck the 7 onto the list!!!

I have 65+ track days on my 2011 Evora S. damn sweet car bone stock. Finally after 6 yrs , I am starting to replace a few worn parts like motor mounts, sway bushings, shift links....maybe revalved suspension by next year. It just runs!! I have not been in a more well rounded car ever with this level of ability out of the box.
What tracks? Care to share laptimes? Curious--I am mostly Norcal tracks and Georgia. I felt my 1973 911 and the Elise were solid out of the box, but then i had to tinker!

·
Loves to talk
1,101 Posts
Can you really go wrong with any car on your list? Although, the 7 suggests a great sense of humor in context of your desires!

I would enjoy owning any of your proposals given an understanding of what their individual strengths and weaknesses are but all I can discuss as an owner is the 400.

I think the rule with Evoras is the newer, the better. Mine had a few teething problems but hasn't been any trouble for over two years and 10K miles with a total of 14K on the clock. The next owner, should there be one, will get a well sorted, trustworthy car. The newest cars look even better and we don't hear many complaints on their account at all. OTOH, my car is effectively out of warranty and while I worried about that when I first bought it, I don't give it a thought now. What don't I like? Not much about the actual hardware really. I knew what I was sacrificing when I bought it. It's the least feature laden on your list (7 excepted) but it has the qualities I need which have been oft repeated here. But then, I don't need power seats and a bunch of other stuff I thought I needed but that it turns out don't matter at all to me. Yet others see deficits where I just see a serviceable radio with nav and a back up camera. I certainly can understand but such things don't rank as high on my personal list as other things where the Evora excels.

Of the rest the one that would move me is a McLaren (570S) but I worry about the total ownership experience and I am 200 miles from the nearest dealer while McLaren's reputation for ownership satisfaction is, if anything lately worse than Lotus. I was serious about a 911 or a C7 when I bought the 400 and today you could add an AMG GTC and the C8 to that list but I am happy with what I have and never feel outgunned. And of course, if a manual is more important than a T-Top then you are down to the Evora or a 911 (or a GT4, but that didn't make your list).

If your question is: what will I like best?" only you know the answer to that but if the question is "will I like a 400 or a GT and get good service from them" the answer is damn straight you will! They're great cars. I'd shop my butt off and buy a GT (or in my case just keep what I have) in preference to anything else on your list apart from the McLaren. Unfortunately, I think a McLaren is almost certainly the most expensive long term proposition by some considerable margin and that gives me pause whereas a Lotus will perhaps be among the most cost effective. I never really rule considerations like that out regardless of my budget.

In my experience, the Evora is a reliable, relatively inexpensive exotic that ticks every box I had at the time and continues to do so.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Greetings, I couldn't help but notice the Lotus 7 on your list - this tells me what you might REALLY want is a modern Morgan with a BMW 4 cylinder or 6 cylinder 🤷‍♂️ Some great videos on YouTube of their new platform.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ha, what I really want is the Pagani Zonda. But I'd settle for the right Ford GT. But yes, looking at it you might be on to something!

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
12c is Hideous
570s is brutally fast but I found it to be boring
Had a noble. One of the worst cars ice ever owned.
My 64 year old mother drives a R8 v10 plus, her last car was a gated r8 v10.. so that’s mom car to me
Lotus 7 I’d love, but depending on where you live I’d imagine getting it registered for the street to be difficult (like the noble)
Jag and 911 are both excellent cars but much softer than the rest of your list save for the R8.
what exactly are you looking for out of the car? Evora seem like the sweet
Spot and you’ll feel at home in it coming from an Elise. At least I did
As mentioned, add the Amg gt to your shopping list?

points against the evora..
Small aftermarket
Horrific stereo
Tough blind spots (duh)

·
Registered
29 Posts
I can speak for the Evora GT and say that compared to the other's on your list it is an incredibly fun car to drive that a) will not be as common as any of the others b) is capable of being a daily driver as much as taking it to the limits on a track or road course. I am based in Charlotte NC so we have tons of Mclaren's , Porsche's and Audi's. R8 are an awesome drive as well but way more computerized than the Lotus. The Porsche is probably my pick of the list you provided outside of my GT simply because it the most similar driving to the Lotus but with the bells and whistles that a Lotus just doesn't have. That considered i don't think the Lotus is what you should look at if you are really after the comforts like that.

·
Registered
6,570 Posts
Lotus 7 I’d love, but depending on where you live I’d imagine getting it registered for the street to be difficult (like the noble)
If it’s a real Lotus 7, as opposed to a Caterham, which some states consider a kit car which can be tricky to get registered, it’s no more difficult to register than an MG, Triumph, or other vintage car.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Even modified to 460HP my Evora 400 is my slowest car but it is by far the most fun to drive.

I also have an RS7 with 675HP and the new NSX with 700HP, it is more fun to drive my 400.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts