1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I think that is more a comparison for the new AM Rapide or Mercedes CLS or the Maserati Quattroporte.

I think asking if it competes against the Evora is stretching it quite a bit. :)

I do think Dan Neil is an excellent writer though. He really should have been chosen to run the now defunct never got off the ground floor Top Gear USA. Perhaps it would have led to a different outcome.

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I see your point, but I am thinking that the Evora is more the one competing against the Panamera instead of the other way around. Does that change the perspective?

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
No. Personal opinions aside, the Pamamera is a four door sports sedan while the Evora's a coupe. The Pamera is more in the class of other high power sports sedan over $100,000.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
I know people have been comparing it most often to a Cayman, but I really think the most similar car is a base Carrera.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I know people have been comparing it most often to a Cayman, but I really think the most similar car is a base Carrera.
++

...comparing the panamera to the evora is not unlike comparing an XKR to an elise - they're just too different classes of vehicles to draw any meaningful conclusions...the evora isn't a true four-seater, either - just a 2+2, as much so as any of its diminuitive-package-shelf-endowed grand touring coupe competitors...

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
....the rossion fumes must be getting to you man :)

bring the orange thing out friday at 9 to jullin?!

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
I do think Dan Neil is an excellent writer though. He really should have been chosen to run the now defunct never got off the ground floor Top Gear USA. Perhaps it would have led to a different outcome.
He was one of the finalists for the part actually

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
First, do you think this is a fair car to use as a comparison to the Evora? I mean it is the only other true 4 seater and the pricing is similar (at least for the base Panamera).
The best way to find out is this: get yourself a Panamera, sit in the back seat and have a driver take you for a trip from, say, SD to SF. Then - repeat the same with the Evora. ;)

I think it is the Cayenne that is in the Evora's range.

Although the Panamera looks a little better in person, I was most amazed by the size of it. It is huge - by our standards. However, from all what you can read about it, it is a fine Gran Turismo car.

·
Registered
6,644 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
I couldn't agree more... The Exige would be a better comparison for the Cayman S... Frankly my S-240 would suck the doors off a Cayman S and out handle it too... I know, I had a Cayman S for about 8 months. What a boring car... Porsche left the sports car market long ago... Let's face it, a Porsche is more like a GT car now, not a sports car... The are a few exceptions like the GT3RS...

I feel the Evora would be best compared with the base Carrera...

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
Quick question for you Fuzz!

How old are you?

:huh:

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
So crazy rabid amigo!

I couldn't agree more... The Exige would be a better comparison for the Cayman S... Frankly my S-240 would suck the doors off a Cayman S and out handle it too... I know, I had a Cayman S for about 8 months. What a boring car... Porsche left the sports car market long ago... Let's face it, a Porsche is more like a GT car now, not a sports car... The are a few exceptions like the GT3RS...

I feel the Evora would be best compared with the base Carrera...
Your 240 hits an aerodynamic wall up there in Speedville "Chuck Yager". ;)

rotfl

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Lotus will have a huge problem if the US price is anywhere near that of a base Panamera.

·
Registered
68 Posts
How old are you?

:huh:
That was exactly my question!

Let's see....
The base Cayman weights a little bit less than the Evora and has 265 bhp while the S has 320 bhp. The 911 weights about 3490 lbs and has 345 bhp. (And the 911 is a rear engined car.)

But why bother with messy facts? The Evora obviously should be compared to the 911 rather than the Cayman because the 911 is...um...the more expensive and...let's see... more revered car (in spite of the fact that "Porsche left the sports car market long ago."). AND it would be so cool owning an Evora and having your buds think it was on the level of the 911.

Yeah, that makes great sense.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Actually the base 911 is listed at 3,075 lbs which includes 165lbs of driver and luggage. Both are 2+2s, having nearly identical weight distribution and with a projected price of $75k would be within $1500 in msrp. Those facts sure can get messy.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Thanks for the defense 008 and the others who agreed with me.

I'm fifteen years old and I really hope to own my very own Lotus some day.

Personal insult removed. It wasn't clever enough to convey the full depth of DU's personality flaws.

xtn

1 - 20 of 96 Posts