The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my Evora 400 from the dealer the other day and was checking out the new Aston Vantage’s there. Very sexy car. About $60-70k+ the price of an Evora.

Anyone here ever drive the Vantage?

What’s it like compared to the Evora?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I drove a few older Vantages prior to buying my 11 Evora. I liked the Aston a lot. I would buy one right now if I had the room. But I owned an 18 Mustang GT prior to the Evora. While the Mustang isn’t an Aston, it does have a V8 with a stick shift. And for me the Aston would have felt more like a lateral move instead of being different. But that would have been for an older model. The new one would have been a whole different ball game. For me the Lotus was more exotic and polar opposite in almost every aspect from the Mustang. With that said I actually miss the Mustang at times and I still wished I could have just had both cars. And when it comes time to add to the garage it will be a toss up between a GT350 or an Aston Martin.

·
not your dad's puns
1,760 Posts
I've started looking more closely at the older Vantages with the automated manual. Even though the newest ones are dripping with animal sexuality, you can get into a 10-year-old for Evora money.

Auto trader inventory

And those are still friggin' gorgeous ... also they share DNA with lotus, being comprised of an epoxy-bonded aluminum chassis.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I was shopping for the dogleg manual V12 on last of the previous gen Vantage. But the dealer in Cali sold it after I had called with serious intent without ever getting back to me or communicating.

Luckily I bought Evora GT instead which won’t have bespoke engine and trans to deal with. Vantage V8 is probably better but just imagine the costs when something goes wrong on a not adequately cooled AMV12 that’s been stuffed in the bay. Plus all the weight in the wrong place!

As far as the new version ones. Have you ever met a Mercedes AMG owner that’s excited to own them out of Warranty?

Im sure at least a million Sienna,Camry,ES350 and Rav 4...owners have zero issues doing that with Evoras base engine.

I like that. It gives me peace of mind. Maybe the Astons should really stay near their dealers flatbeds in Newport Beach or whatever. An Evora I’d feel fine about driving cross country or living far away from a local Lotus dealer and not have too many issues running it like a normal reliable sports car. Sorta like a Porsche or Corvette or Mustang but way more interesting and exotic of course but without the hassle of normal exotic ownership like an MP4-12C needing a new gearbox constantly...which is why so many of those cars have like 12,000 miles after 20 years!

With an Evora I feel there’s the chance of having a 150,000 mile one that was taken care of over the years and still runs great 10-20 years from now. If they still allow grandpas to self drive their gas powered cars then!

But we still have propeller flight, steam engines, horseback riding, black powder muskets and all sorts of passionate enthusiasts of things that are obsolete in modern world. So hopefully that will stay constant for old timers that choose to maintain and keep their old machinery running.

What if next few years really is the last chance humanity has to purchase a new analogue gasoline powered heirloom quality sports car?

So the choice between Vantage and Evora really is crucial.

·
Less is Better
2,626 Posts
I've owned my V8 Vantage for about 5 years now. I've always regarded this as one of the top 5 best looking cars of all time and decided that it would be a nice compliment to my Elise, which as we all know is extremely raw.

It's far more car than most people expect. They have extremely well balanced chassis with a dry sump engine far back behind the front axle line. The balance and control was very surprising to me when I first started exploring the car's handling. It's not nearly a large as people think it is either. This car is smaller than most people think, It's shorter and just a tad wider than a 997 Porsche. All of these things make it surprisingly nimble. It's far smaller than the muscle cars.

Another unexpected thing is the enormous amount of feedback that comes through the steering and chassis. It's a very stiff structure which helps to feed more information to the driver. Lotus taught Aston how to build the bonded aluminum chassis. Right down to having the same orange/red glue.

It's built REALLY well. As mentioned, the chassis is very stiff and feels it. Parts that would normally be held on with clips or plastic rivets are screwed on. There's a real feeling of solidity. Transmission and clutch take some force to operate and really makes you feel like you're in a machine of substance. In the interior, if it's not real metal, it's covered in leather or alcantara. Plastics are at a minimum. The car smells incredible. I sometimes just sit down in the car to take in the leather scent. The car has been REALLY reliable. There are so many indicators that Ford had their influence on the development of this car and it shows in the parts used and in the lack of issues.

The downsides of the beauty and solidity are the weight and poor outward sightlines. It's no mid-engine car, that's for sure.

I love the engine as well. It's a car that wants to be revved to make it's power. Over 4000 RPM and up to the 7200 RPM redline, it's making amazing noise and moving impressively fast. This car is about the experience, the sounds and smells. It feels really special to all the senses but it is understated and restrained which makes it feel really mature.

Instead of a comparison, it's more like a compliment to an Evora. They're very different but both great.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Driven and nearly bought a few vantages, both v8 and v12. Tech dates the car the car horribly which is something that annoys me about most cars. Outward visibility is trash. Never felt totally comfortable driving them but I’m sure it would have come with time. As mentioned before the build quality is there, and the size is right (weight isn’t). Amazing to look at, great feedback when driving. Both make a hell of a sound.
that said, I obviously like the lotus more as that’s what I bought

·
Registered
839 Posts
I have owned a couple V8 Vantages. I bought a 2007 V8 Vantage from Louisville and had it transported to Texas a few years ago. The engine sound was simply intoxicating and the build quality and fit / finish were better than anything I had owned. I had an opportunity in 2014 to buy a 2013 V8 Vantage S from the local dealer and it was a huge improvement over the 4.3 L older cars. Everything was more refined, the suspension was improved, and the 4.7 L with 430 HP was noticeably better. I liked the stance of the Astons, the handling and the road manners, but these are expensive cars to own and maintain. I ended up trading in the Vantage S toward the 410 Sport Evora in 2017 and the Lotus immediately felt more familiar, more nimble and something that I wasn't nervous driving around Central Texas traffic. I'm not really familiar with the current gen Vantages, and have no plans to purchase another Aston.

·
Less is Better
2,626 Posts
One thing I didn't mention previously and I normally don't care about when talking about a sports car is the Aston's stereo. I normally don't mention it because it's low on my list of priorities, but it is a bit of a standout on this car. Aston has three levels of stereo system. I have the middle road "premium" system and it's quite excellent. It's very adjustable, has great power and great separation. Highs are clear and lows are powerful.

·
Premium Member
11,853 Posts
I test drove a new Vantage last year. I have no particular fear of engine issues.

Cost: You can now find a slightly (1 - 2 yrs old) used AMG Vantage for about $125,000. My Elise is my 3rd Lotus, but I don't need another mid-engined car one can't see out of.

If I buy, it will be a Vantage. Nicest car I've ever driven.

·
Premium Member
1,468 Posts
I think @brightoncorgi went from an Evora to a Vantage. I could be mis-remembering though.
Yes you are correct. Went to a V8 Vantage (Jaguar XE 35t in-between) and then Rapide. I am actually looking to a buy a 2nd car and it's either going to be an Evora or 4C. Cannot shake the Lotus feeling!

·
Premium Member
1,468 Posts
I've been fine with outward sight in my Aston's and the Vantage is more full on sports car than people think it is. It was actually too sporty for what I wanted at the time and got the Rapide. Steering is hydraulic and turn is quick. Big thing to look out for on the V8V is oil leaks. They are notorious for this and no rhyme or reason which ones it will be. Can be fixed, but like 4-5K job at the dealer.

I'd buy another Vantage in a heartbeat, but would go for the V12 if had an option. Easier to check oil and the hood looks cooler.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great feedback from you all on this. I’ll drive one of the new ones at my dealer and post what I think as compared to my Evora 400.

On the Stereo comments above, that is one thing with the Evora I cant wait to change. It is super weak. My prior car was a 2018 Audi TTS with an amazing sound system. My dealer said don’t mess with the it until the warranty is up. But once it is, I’ll have to see what can be done to get the sound quality up to par.

In the meantime, I just roll down the windows and listen to the car.

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Yes you are correct. Went to a V8 Vantage (Jaguar XE 35t in-between) and then Rapide. I am actually looking to a buy a 2nd car and it's either going to be an Evora or 4C. Cannot shake the Lotus feeling!
Avoid the 4C. Without Caster blocks etc, high speed stability sucks. I am an Alfa guy and came away disappointed.

Reactions: brightoncorgi

·
Registered
24 Posts
After all the issues I've had with my Evora, I don't know that I would pick it based on reliability being better. Based on my experience and research the Evora has a reliable drivetrain, however there are tons of little things that can go wrong and become annoying and expensive over time.

Read the thread on what to know before buying an Evora. Of the common issues listed pick two or three of them at random and see what comes up. That will be the Lotus experience. It could be trim pieces cracking, dead supercharger, and broken interior light switch. Or maybe AC condensor failure, brake switch going out, and a battery that won't sit for more than two days without going dead.

The right combination of issues could cost you just as much as it cost to deal with an Aston Martin. If you are debating a sports car vs true grand tourer, then Lotus wins as a sports car and the Aston as the GT car.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I have never owned an Aston Martin, so no idea what they cost to fix. My 2005 Elise had a few issues, but nothing major. I think the most expensive thing that ever happened was a bad wheel bearing.

My (used) 2013 Evora S...well... it never really cost me much, except time. It had electrical issues that were never 100% resolved and was in the shop for months. That being said the dealer I purchased did extend a warranty past its 3 year for those issues at no extra cost to me, but ultimately I traded it in for a new 400.

My 400 has been complete opposite. I have had very few issues with it at all. Probably been the most reliable car I have had, maybe ever? :: knock on composite ::

Honestly I have never really felt owning a modern Lotus, even with some of the issues, was all that expensive. That being said I have never had anything major fail. I have to imagine the Lotus tax is much lower than the Aston Martin tax though if I were to guess.

·
Premium Member
1,468 Posts
I have never owned an Aston Martin, so no idea what they cost to fix.
My Evora and Vantage cost similarly to maintain. Annual service was similar price at Lotus-Aston Martin dealer. Dealer had more Aston parts in stock and if not in stock was quicker to get.

·
Registered
565 Posts
My Evora and Vantage cost similarly to maintain. Annual service was similar price at Lotus-Aston Martin dealer. Dealer had more Aston parts in stock and if not in stock was quicker to get.
Well that's not too bad then. Good to know. Yes, not a shock that they had better stock of parts. Do Lotus dealers even stock any parts? My dealer is actually probably considered one of the better ones in the U.S. and it seems rare they actually ever have anything in stock.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts