The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
2011 Lotus Evora S - 2000 Honda Civic SiR Turbo
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 2 years of no tint, I'm really on the fence to add some for privacy.

Looking for side view pics and what %, plus any insight If you would have gone another route.

Also what's this windshield tint all about? How's that at night?

Ps searched and last evora tint thread was 10 years ago.

· Administrator
14,952 Posts
Always use G search and end the search argument with lotustalk ie evora window tint lotustalk

Reactions: B. Spilner

· Registered
2005 Elise
412 Posts
Slightly different because I have an Elise, But I have 70% ceramic tint on my windshield and it makes a noticeable difference on the amount of heat that comes through the windshield. I am in Texas where "near-clear" is legal on the windshield and I have had no issues at all with inspections and all.

· Happy To Be Here
2013 Lotus Evora IPS - Carbon Grey
1,182 Posts
I did 55% on the passenger and driver side windows, then 35% on the little triangle windows and the rear glass over the engine bay. I can see just fine at night and this is the legal limit in WI.
The one thing I wish I would have done is gone for the next grade up for window tint. I believe it’s ceramic coating tint that has the best heat rejection, but costs several times as much. The levels I went with don’t make the car impossible to see into (you can see in the photos how well you can see through the front windows), but it sure helps for heat rejection and adds a bit of darkness to the appearance of the cabin.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive parking light

Car Wheel Tire Vehicle White

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

· Registered
407 Posts
I’m planning on getting the side windows on my Evora 30% tint. My wife got 30% ceramic tints and it looks goooooood. During the day you can see a shadow if you try to peek in and at night it’s a bit darker but doesn’t impair your vision

· Registered
2017 Evora 400
270 Posts
Funny. I'm curious, but from a how un-tinted can I go with ceramic and still get heat rejection. Desert summers are no joke!

· Premium Member
2,967 Posts
Funny. I'm curious, but from a how un-tinted can I go with ceramic and still get heat rejection. Desert summers are no joke!
My windshield has 95% ceramic which is pretty non-tinted to my eyes, but rejects a boatload of heat. To the point where I don't feel the need to put up my Covercraft shade when stopping for less than 30 minutes.

· Registered
2005 Elise
412 Posts
Font Number Pattern Parallel Screenshot

This is the specification for 3M's Crystalline tint which is on of the leaders in ceramic heat rejection tint. Note that a factory "clear " windshield may have a VLT of 85-90%

· Registered
61 Posts
I have 20% on the sides, 50% on the windshield, rear hatch, and small rear window. Nighttime visibility is still good, IMO. It's my first car with tint on the windshield, and I would definitely do it again.

· Premium Member
2,967 Posts
Well, that would be highly illegal here in California - we're required to have 70% on the windshield and front sides.
Tinting the windshield is considered illegal in CA if the tint VLT is less than 88%, unless you have a medical exemption. Per CVC 26708 (e).

But you can combine 88% VLT over the >=70% VLT FMVSS glass requirement. Not sure what the OE windshield VLT is stock though.

· Registered
172 Posts
Tinting the windshield is considered illegal in CA if the VLT is less than 88%, unless you have a medical exemption. Per CVC 26708 (e).

But you can combine 88% VLT over the >=70% VLT FMVSS glass requirement. Not sure what the OE windshield VLT is stock though.
That section is hard to follow. The 88% applies to the material being applied to the windows, not the VLT after it has been applied.

· Premium Member
2,967 Posts
That section is hard to follow. The 88% applies to the material being applied to the windows, not the VLT after it has been applied.
Right, so you could have something darker than 88% VLT if you put 88% tint over 70% glass and still be compliant. It would be nice to know what the OE windshield glass VLT is, but I didn't bother testing it prior to getting it tinted.

· Registered
1,952 Posts
I have 50% all around on my Elise and Miata and 90% on the windshields. I go 35% on my larger vehicles but still 90% on windshields. The windshield tint seems to reject as much as all the other tint combined and your dashboard will never crack from UV exposure.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts