The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I’m buying some cool stuff for my 2011 Evora from GRP, such as a new diffuser, front splitter and side skirts but not sure about the GRP spoiler. I like it, but it doesn’t flow like the GT4 spoiler. The GRP spoiler is plug and play, but the one from HethelSport would require painting ($600 at a shop near me) or pay the price for carbon fiber ($1000+ more than the GRP wing, and I’m not too interested in CF honestly). What are your thoughts? Has anyone installed the GRP wing on their Evora? If so, do you have any pictures? I’m worried it would look like a cheesy addition but don’t want the hassle or cost of the GT4 wing. Any other recommendations?

Thanks!

·
Happy To Be Here
2013 Lotus Evora IPS - Carbon Gray
859 Posts
Hi All,

I’m buying some cool stuff for my 2011 Evora from GRP, such as a new diffuser, front splitter and side skirts but not sure about the GRP spoiler. I like it, but it doesn’t flow like the GT4 spoiler. The GRP spoiler is plug and play, but the one from HethelSport would require painting ($600 at a shop near me) or pay the price for carbon fiber ($1000+ more than the GRP wing, and I’m not too interested in CF honestly). What are your thoughts? Has anyone installed the GRP wing on their Evora? If so, do you have any pictures? I’m worried it would look like a cheesy addition but don’t want the hassle or cost of the GT4 wing. Any other recommendations?

Thanks!
My thoughts on the wing are that it needs to flow with the lines of the car unless you are really trying to use the car as a dedicated track weapon. If that’s not the goal, the wing is mostly aesthetic and you should buy what you think looks good. My wing is from Hethelsport and the only reason I went with the carbon fiber version was so that I wouldn’t have to paint it haha. Mine has the light, which I HIGHLY recommend trying to keep because the side brake lights are just sometimes hard to see but that center light always glows so bright keeping the car from being rear ended. HKFever made some beautiful carbon rear wings and he did some with tail lights. You may want to contact him if you’re looking for another CF option.

Another thing a friend of mine did was ordered the fiberglass wing from Hethelsport and then just wrapped it without painting it. That’s probably the cheapest way to get that GT4 look and spend the least. Then you can change the look after a while if you feel like it or paint it later.

So you know, of all the visual mods I’ve done to my car, the GT4 wing was one of the most expensive and the most controversial amongst my friends, but it’s the piece I like the most and I get the most compliments about. I really can’t imagine my car without it anymore, it feels right with the GT4 wing. But that’s me.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I love Greg and his stuff....super great guy and I love supporting him.....but I just can't support that wing! (Sorry Greg!) Like you said.....it just doesn't flow unless it was some crazy aero track car that could get away with it.

I really love the GT4 wings, they just look so damn cool. Me being a little tamer, I went with the 400 wing from Hethel Sport and the 7 Element diffuser from Difflow.

Reactions: Ansa

·
Registered
165 Posts
Another thing to note that the GRP wing doesn't have a brake light so if you don't have a place for your 3rd you may not be legal.

I have the fiberglass wing from HethelSport and I haven't painted it as it matches my satin black wrapped roof nicely as is.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'm going through the same debate right now but with the GT430 wing from hethelsport. It looks amazing to me one day, and too much to me the next.

·
Registered
148 Posts
The GT430 wing is super functional but it looks like it's just stuck on to the car as an after thought aesthetically. It's too far forward on the rear hatch and looks odd. I would have preferred it mounted higher and farther back like the GT4 concept.

·
Premium Member
6,860 Posts
The key word is functional. BTW if it is functional, your mileage will suffer (some have said greatly) and car will be slower as a result. Reason I passed on a wing for my track car. NOT enough additional HP potential to offset the wings effect

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's a cool wing, but I would be concerned about installing it. Do you need to drill holes?

I'm going through the same debate right now but with the GT430 wing from hethelsport. It looks amazing to me one day, and too much to me the next.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm definitely looking to make the car look cooler. Do you think the GT4 wing would have a significant effect on performance?

The key word is functional. BTW if it is functional, your mileage will suffer (some have said greatly) and car will be slower as a result. Reason I passed on a wing for my track car. NOT enough additional HP potential to offsdt the wings effect

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
I'm definitely looking to make the car look cooler. Do you think the GT4 wing would have a significant effect on performance?
Considering that the (original) GT4 wing was actually fabricated by Lotus for their race cars, I would think that it was designed to assist performance and absolutely be functional. Of course, if you plan to drag race for a mile it will probably hurt your top end. But, unless you are a PROFESSIONAL race car driver does it really even matter? For a weekend warrior it probably doesn't matter at all except maybe hurt your pride (if you get your car up to max MPH ).

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
HethelSport has great products (as you can probably tell - my car sports many of his parts!). But, Sherman didn't carry the GT4 wing when I bought mine. So, I went with HKFever's all carbon wing (but painted the uprights to transition with the rest of the body). I also didn't want to add the light into the wing, so I fabricated my own light pod to mount on the hatch .

I think the GT4 wing flows the best with the rest of the car. But, I may be biased 😜

·
Registered
122 Posts
That's a cool wing, but I would be concerned about installing it. Do you need to drill holes?
Yes you would need to drill holes to mount the GT430 wing. I believe it would also only be able to be mounted on the carbon fiber decklid with louvres

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Considering that the (original) GT4 wing was actually fabricated by Lotus for their race cars, I would think that it was designed to assist performance and absolutely be functional. Of course, if you plan to drag race for a mile it will probably hurt your top end. But, unless you are a PROFESSIONAL race car driver does it really even matter? For a weekend warrior it probably doesn't matter at all except maybe hurt your pride (if you get your car up to max MPH ).

View attachment 1269539
Exactly, I just want it to look better.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
HKFever’s wing doesn’t seem too competitive anymore. He’s more expensive than Hethelsport and twice the price of JC Sportline. He quoted me about $2k for the GT4 wing.

HethelSport has great products (as you can probably tell - my car sports many of his parts!). But, Sherman didn't carry the GT4 wing when I bought mine. So, I went with HKFever's all carbon wing (but painted the uprights to transition with the rest of the body). I also didn't want to add the light into the wing, so I fabricated my own light pod to mount on the hatch .

I think the GT4 wing flows the best with the rest of the car. But, I may be biased 😜

View attachment 1269543

View attachment 1269544

·
Premium Member
6,860 Posts
HK's build quality is fabulous however. My louvers are easily the best looking I have seen along withe sail panel and their matching patterns.

HIS SHIPPING COSTS WERE NOT AN ISSUE.

·
Registered
419 Posts
If you simply want the car to look cooler.... hire the best looking hooker to always be around the car and forget wings...because....below 40 mph all the wing will do is create drag. The effect of a wing starts to come on up around 75 and really helps at 90+....which around town equals ridiculousness. Eventually most 'car show' minds tire of saying 'cool looking car' and move either maybe into some RV or they start actually putting the car rather exclusively on the track. Sorry to rag here but wings on a Formula car make sense, not on a street car, even though my '97 Esprit came with that big ol' rear wing....but that was factory....so I have no thought to change it. Use the $ for some nice wheels & track tires or autoX entry fees or an arrive and drive [with coaching] series entry with Skip Barber or Bondurant or something like that. Being concerned with what wing on a street car for other than looks makes little sense unless car shows at zero mph and looks cool is just 'one's speed'....pun intended

1 - 19 of 19 Posts