The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Only go down this rabbit hole with an open mind because it isn't for everyone...

This anime from 2000-2002 was too ahead of its time to be relevant or gain popularity but is much more relevant today. The premise is a technofuture where people don't drive but are transported by AI-driven EVs. Except for age-unrestricted expert drivers (ex-Drivers) licensed to drive ICE cars on public roads to deal with rogue EVs and--as the story progresses--beyond.

The plot is decent but you really watch it for the cars. Anime normally focuses on Japanese cars but this one unconventionally favors European cars with Lotus/Caterham in the limelight. Emira was on my mind the whole time because it's a Lotus straddling this transitory period of clash between ICE/EV. ex-Driver is an adventurous take on that narrative and I hopelessly wish the Emira would inspire the creators to make it the protagonist car in a reboot.

Teasers:
Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Car Vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Car

Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive side marker light

Tire Vehicle Automotive parking light Wheel Car

Tire Car Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

Europa drifting ahead of an Alpine A110, Countach, and Esprit!

I won't spoil the main villain cars for you ;)

I watched this offline thanks to my brother but found the 6-episode miniseries (arrow buttons toggle between first 3/last 3) and movie streaming free here: | Search results | Watch Free TV Online | Tubi

Another free site just for the 6-episode miniseries: Watch eX-Driver OVA episodes English Sub/Dub online Free on Zoro.to

Forewarning if watching with kids: It contains suggestive adult innuendos (as per usual for anime) but nothing X-rated.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts