The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Crazy Car Guy
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Exclusive HKS Lotus Elise/Exige Exhaust System​

HKS designed this exhaust with a few criteria in mind, killer looks with the rear fascia in place, improved exhaust tone with minimal highway drone and respectable horsepower gains within that criteria. Through the use of a properly sized tuning tube they were able to increase the volume of the exhaust without increasing the tendency to have drone while at highway speed. A brief explanation of this portion of the exhaust is to cancel out unwanted tones in specific frequency ranges. Think of it as mechanical noise cancellation. Even with this additional technology being applied to the exhaust system it is still 47% lighter than stock.

Noise Cancellation Chamber

Rear Picture Uninstalled

Rear Tips

Ultimately, this exhaust works! We had an independent test with a customer of ours who has a VF Stage 1 kit he gained 7 hp by just bolting the exhaust on the car, while retaining the factor catalytic converter. Impressive!

Dyno Plot

Exhaust Installed

MSRP: $1595 Special Pricing $875 Shipped

To place an order call 240-243-0193 or email [email protected]

Thanks,

Jermaine~:D

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Any plans to have them develop a version with the exit above the diffuser?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I can see what I can do, they are pretty reluctant to makes these as it is. I wouldn't be surprised to see there go away after this batch.
They look great - just curious though...

A) why were they reluctant to make these?
B) if they already invested the time/money to design these so well, why would they only make one batch?

·
Crazy Car Guy
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They look great - just curious though...

A) why were they reluctant to make these?
B) if they already invested the time/money to design these so well, why would they only make one batch?
It's all about sales volume. Figure it this way, if it sells well then continue with production and possibly development.

C'mon HKS Exhaust for everyone!

·
Crazy Car Guy
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ya no where near as many people are going to buy a through the diffuser stock looking setup, they should have came up with an above the diffuser exhaust first.
With that said I still have a few customers who are not into the above the diffuser look. So this is still a great option for the more subtle Elise owner.

After all we are all a bit different, but we all love to :shift:!

Jermaine

·
Registered
208 Posts
ya no where near as many people are going to buy a through the diffuser stock looking setup, they should have came up with an above the diffuser exhaust first.
Yea, just take a look at Jim's 2bular exhaust, he will make whatever you want ... Especially for supercharged engine like the VF II . Great exhaust, great service !!

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
Sounds very interesting. Is there anything more you can tell us about the quality of the sound and how much louder we could expect it to be? Does it provide any sputters or backfires (in a good way)? Is it a meatier/rumblier sound than stock? Cancelling out drone is good, but does that mean it is considerably quieter than most of the other after market offerings?

I realize that it is nearly impossible to answer these questions with words - it needs to be experienced. But, I am seriously interested and without the benefit of hearing it in person, any additional info is much appreciated.

Also, I am planning to install your Vision Function supercharger/intercooler. Is there any reason a different exhaust would be a better fit for this combination?

Thanks,
Todd

·
Crazy Car Guy
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds very interesting. Is there anything more you can tell us about the quality of the sound and how much louder we could expect it to be? Does is provide any sputters or backfires (in a good way)? Is it a meatier/rumblier sound than stock? Cancelling out drone is good, but does that mean it is considerably quieter than most of the other after market offerings?

I realize that the it is nearly impossible to answer these questions with words - it needs to be experienced. But, I am seriously interested and without the benefit of hearing it in person, an additional info is much appreciated.

Also, I am planning to install your Vision Function supercharger/intercooler. Is there any reason a different exhaust would be a better fit for this combination?

Thanks,
Todd
Exhaust systems are really personal preference which is honestly why they have so many different models available. I will say the exhaust tone is very comparable to the Lotus Stage 2 muffler. My opinion is if you are a fan of the placement of the exhaust, the noise level will suit you perfectly.

As fas as exhaust combination's go I recommend going for the look that you like, then the sound, then the horsepower potential. Sometimes the noise isn't worth the exta 5-7 hp especially at the general power levels were are talking supercharged.

·
Registered
385 Posts
According to HKSUSA, the OD piping diameter is 50mm.... which is less than 2" :O

·
Registered
557 Posts
I have one of these, EVERYONE I know digs the sound of it. The piping does neck down from 2.5". Worried me at first, hasn't seemed to hurt me though. I'll upload a sound clip from a recent trackday, i already have a video on youtube. My tips are sliiightly different, but other than that, everything looks identical down to the HKS badge. I've been happy with it, i know it's tough to choose w/o soundclips though. :)

Unloaded:
YouTube - Garage: Laverty Project Elise- Exhaust!

Loaded:
YouTube - PGP Trackday 9/24/09: Part 2- The Sloppy

·
Crazy Car Guy
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have one of these, EVERYONE I know digs the sound of it. The piping does neck down from 2.5". Worried me at first, hasn't seemed to hurt me though. I'll upload a sound clip from a recent trackday, i already have a video on youtube. My tips are sliiightly different, but other than that, everything looks identical down to the HKS badge. I've been happy with it, i know it's tough to choose w/o soundclips though. :)

Unloaded:
YouTube - Garage: Laverty Project Elise- Exhaust!

Loaded:
YouTube - PGP Trackday 9/24/09: Part 2- The Sloppy
Cool Vids.

Also Dyno plot link fixed. At the time the exhaust was initially developed the NA car was the only thing they had. With that said, not a bad horsepower gain.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts