The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
I'm not sure why you'd call this a warning?!?

Anyway the Elise came out with a 1.0 rating which on a different chart comes out to a 4.0 out of 10.0 with 10.0 being best.

Here's the conversion from one chart to another, see chart at the bottom and conmpare CO2 per mile with Greenhouse Gas:

http://www.epa.gov/autoemissions/about.htm

Then look up the Celica GT-S:

http://www.epa.gov/autoemissions/E-TOYOTA-Celica-04.htm

And you can see that the Elise and the GT-S share the same rating. If anything, between the higher midrange and top end output and the gearing and so forth the Lotus delivers less pollution compared to it's output than the Toyota.

Note that WOT performance is not used in EPA testing and does not "hurt" the rating. After about two (2) minutes, air pollution on nearly every car is near zero. It's the first two minutes that strongly impacts the results. This is not really clear from the Gov't ratings however. So if you want to be "green", do a series of errands or driving events close to one another in time instead of making many small trips...

I don't know why the Elise hit 27 on the highway on the EPA cycle. I easily beat that during break-in. And you can use 5th/6th gear a great deal off the highway on secondary roads as the car can handle it. Maybe the characteristics of the car are so different than most cars that the test is less accurate for it. It's easy to get low to mid 30s out of it real world. This would make it the ONLY car in which I have ever beaten the EPA highway results. Regularly and significantly.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Dan, it will ease your mind to know that a muffler doesn't have an effect on emissions. Emissions are determined by how cleanly the fuel is burned in the cylinders, and how well the catalytic converters clean up the leftovers. The muffler is only there to make the car quiet, and sometimes to adjust or tune the flow of exhaust.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
John Stimson said:
Dan, it will ease your mind to know that a muffler doesn't have an effect on emissions. Emissions are determined by how cleanly the fuel is burned in the cylinders, and how well the catalytic converters clean up the leftovers. The muffler is only there to make the car quiet, and sometimes to adjust or tune the flow of exhaust.
John is correct. The muffler does not influence emissions.

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
Re: Exhaust emissions

Dan said:
EDIT: nevermind. igore.

That's what I get for posting at 3am full of alcohol :p
LOL! At least you could have titled the thread "275hp Exige coming to US in Jan!" :p

1 - 5 of 5 Posts