The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When installing the gasket between the manifold and the cat, is it proper to put it on the manifold or in the cat? The old one was stuck to the manifold but I have heard many stayed inside the cat when it was removed. Any tips to prevent a leak when installing a new one?

TIA,
Matt

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
its a tight fit.. pry off the old one on the manifold.. and push in the new one.. doubtful you'll find a leak because of the gasket.. its more likely to leak because those springloaded bolts aren't tight..

·
Registered
340 Posts
How tight should they be? I have the Lotus manual but the exhaust system seems to be totally absent.

Thanks!

its a tight fit.. pry off the old one on the manifold.. and push in the new one.. doubtful you'll find a leak because of the gasket.. its more likely to leak because those springloaded bolts aren't tight..

·
Anthony
604 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,413 Posts
Hi All, is it possible to reuse the exhaust gasket or is a new one needed. Thanks Tommy

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
Hi All, is it possible to reuse the exhaust gasket or is a new one needed. Thanks Tommy
I just removed my cat because of a broken U-bend to get that welded.
And when installing it again I reused the old gasket.
Officially I think it is "one time use only".
Seems like I have no issues with the sealing, but I only drove maybe 100 miles since the install.
I wasn't able to source a new gasket thru Toyota (tried two dealerships, but they don't stock them). They said they also reuse the old ones in most cases...

·
Premium Member
1,413 Posts
I am refering to the donut between cat pipe and manifiold at the collector.

·
Premium Member
1,413 Posts
Thanks Mr.C will try to reuse. By the way how did you get it out? Was it stuck or free?. Thanks doing this job this weekend and researching first.

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
Mine was stuck on the manifold slightly but I was able to rotate it and pull at the same time.
I also tried prying carefully using a stubby screw driver between the flange and the gasket. After a while it came off.
But if I had to do it again I would just leave it in place on the manifold and not worry about getting it off unless I wanted to replace it (which was my plan initially).
It is very fragile so be careful.
Leaving it in place minimizes the risk of damaging it.

Think about how that gasket works:

It seals (relatively stationary) at the upper end to the flange on the manifold (header)
But the bottom end has a spherical shape as it seals that end against the cat pipe.
But there is a lot of movement in that joint due to engine movement, hence the springs.
Because of that fact I would assume there will always be a slight leak at the spherical end of the joint.
So I think that as long as you don't damage the upper side of the gasket (towards the manifold) you would probably be fine reusing it.

·
Premium Member
1,413 Posts
Thanks will do. I have good semi solid motor mounts so engine motion is minimzed. The flange that came with the pipe has pulled through on one side. I contacted Phil at BOE for advisement on that matter.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
1,413 Posts
Well I installed larini decat and reused existing donut gasket that was stuck to manifold. After 100 miles no leaks! And no cel with mechanical cel eliminator. No change power wise and acceleration is the same BUT damn its loud at full throttle between 5-8k. The lift throttle pops are the same. I am running an arquay twin. So far I am happy. Tommy

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 17 of 17 Posts