The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some "valuable" input...I hedge any responses with the word "valuable" and not the mindless drivvle that you see wasting everyone's time on here frequently for the sole purpose of self amusement and upping one's posting numbers...:evil:
I am planning on pulling the trigger on a new exhaust system and am looking for the most bang for my buck. The things I want are weight less than 20 lbs, and increase in HP of at least 4hp all at a cost of less than 800 bucks. The exhausts I am looking at are the Larini Sport, the Borla 140208, the Top Speed Pro 1, and finally, the 2bular deluxe. I done a few searches on here an am not finding the specific I have mentioned. At the risk of ridicule here, I am looking for a more intimidating sound than currently posessed by the current stock exhaust and I like the pops and sizzles between shifts and when decelerating.

Thanks ahead of time to those of you willing to type up intelligent well thougth out responses....Have a great weekend

Krug1

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
i have been doing lots of exhaust shopping....

don't count any exhaust giving you any HP, despit the advertisments. less weight yes, more fun sounds yes, hp... no! and you can be well around the 16lb mark easy.

so it sounds like you want a through the diffuser exit. people like the topspeed. it won't be the lightest option. I have heard of a few larani's not holding up well over time. and if they still have the "clamp on" tips - they can be problematic to align / keep lined up.

i just put a 2bular on last night - i like it alot! 2bular (Jim) is known for making more mature sounds and less harsh. (think more V8 sounding, not sport bike sounding) so as a comparision i have a 4.75 ultra core and i would say it as loud as a stage 2 (another option for you!) at full throttle but a little "meatier" sounding, not as raspy as a stage 2. and it not as loud under very light throttle. it has minimal poping and a little gurggling - so its sounds great - imo, some of the other very open exhaust sounds too harsh and unfinished, but thats just my opinion) stage 2 is good too - check that out.

a larger dia. 2bular will be quiet'ish - so just pick a size - small to large - based on loud or quiet. or simply contact Jim / bwr and have anything pretty much custom made. i don't know about that specific 2bular you mention.

my advice would be:

1. a 2bular in the right size config. for your desired sound
2. stage 2 (loud and cool and its "factory")
3. topspeed - there were good deals going around for a while, like 600 bux i believe
4. von hep has a cheesy diffuser tips - but you can modify that yourself.

you have pleny of ~14-18 lb, good sounding options for under 800 right there!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fitfan,
Thanks alot for the post I really appreciate it...some good info there. Had no idea about the Larinis and their quality. I've really been looking at that Top Speed quite a bit...ebay for 649 I think with another 25 bones for shipping.

Thanks again!

Krug1

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
At the risk of ridicule here, I am looking for a more intimidating sound than currently posessed by the current stock exhaust and I like the pops and sizzles between shifts and when decelerating.

Krug1
Hi Krug1,
I'll try to keep this "valuable".

I"ve been driving a Stage II exhaust for over a year and I find it to be much better than the stock exhaust. It has a nice, loud sound and lots of burbles and pops on deceleration.

Other exhausts offer different acoustic parameters, so it is probably best to listen to each before you decide.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Wayne. Sector 111 has a few decent clips of sound bites on their site and the internet as well as this forum have both been good resources. Thanks for your response!

Krug1

·
Premium Member
6,930 Posts
Having been in one, this is a fair comparison. I have patiently waiting to remove my stock exhaust and done the research also. I've been in a Stage 2 vehicle. Sound is fabulous but the drone is nasty to live with if you drive it daily or frequently. You'll notice very few 2bulars go up for sale! Hummm. That tells me what I need to know. I keep coming back to a 6in 2bular thru the diffuser model as it will be louder on cam, but humane to deal with daily. Rear panel deletes look cool in a look at me way and I thought of it, but the cleanness of the diffuser exit works for me as the car already says the aforementioned. At only 12.5 lbs u save 13.1 lbs off stock so there's 1.3hp gain. Go with the Odysey 625 battery for daily reliability and save another 11 lbs so you've effectively gained 2.5hp.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BRG,
Thanks for the post. Keep us posted on what you pull the trigger on. I think I have narrowed it down to either the 2bular or the Top Speed at this point. I haven't heard really anything about the Borla. You make a god point on the fact that you don't see the 2bulars for sale as well. I plan on ordering one or the other today or Monday and will hopefully have it installed along with the Kenwood sub I just ordered by next weekend. Good advice on the battery as well. I still have the heavy stock one.

Thanks again!

Krug1

·
Registered
169 Posts
There are more weight weenies on this forum than roadbikereview.com. I swapped from a Stage 2 to a Larini with sport cat and dumped all kinds of weight from the bumper delete, and I don't think I really noticed the "power" difference. I assume everyone here is as fit and trim as they can be, and for maximum hp, take a dump before you drive :rolleyes:

OK, the sound difference (on an Exige S): Stage 2 has more character, lots of pops and gurgles. The Larini is nice, less character. Both drone.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I have a 6" 2bular that I'm going to put up for sale as soon as my 7" 2bular comes in. :) The 6" was just a little too loud for me to live with for daily driving. My ears are weak. :( I have the exit above the diffuser exhaust. I like 2bular because it sounds as much like a V8 as a tiny little I-4 can.

There is a backlog for 2bular exhausts. They are all custom built. I ordered mine about a month ago, and it's supposed to be ready in the next few weeks. This allows you to get exactly what you want, the tip, and the diameter, length and internal diameter of the "can".

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I threw my Larini in the recycling bin due to quality issues and replaced it with a 2bular, and I love it. Excellent quality, sound, and a weight reduction.

As fitfan said, don't count on any power change (unless you get an ecu from charliex or PES).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts