The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an exhaust leak at the clamps. Wondering what is the best method to fix it up, it's part of my larini piping. You can see the carbon deposit on the bottom tray. The leak is under the clamps just before the piping turns.

Attachments

·
Elise newb
342 Posts
Loosen the clamps and slide them away from the joint. Then, wrap the joint with three or four layers of exhaust tape (such as this) and reinstall the clamps over the tape.

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
I see you still have the original style Larini where the end pipes are connected with a clamp to the muffler.
They will often get loose and cause the exhaust tips to sag and leak.

So I would do three things:

1. Check and make sure that the Cat pipe doesn't have a crack at the U-bend. That will cause an exhaust leak but typically will also throw a CEL
2. get the tips welded to the muffler and get rid of those clamps.
3. Get rid of those flimsy exhaust clamps and get something that you won't have to re-tighten all the time. I use these:
Edelstahl Auspuff Schelle 66,5 Klemmbereich Ø 65 - 68mm | eBay

Not sure if they ship to the US, but they are very sturdy clamps and I never had to tighten them again after I installed those. The ones I had before (like the ones you have) came loose all the time.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I finally got around to messing with this and looks like the entire issue is the cheep clamps. I'm guessing I will need a clap on here that is a bit wider? Looking for some recommendations to get something to Florida within reasonable time. Anyone know of a shop or online store that is within the states here?

Would something like this work? i have a 65mm(2.55 inch) size exhaust.
Pypes Exhaust Clamp Band Stainless Steel 2 5" Diameter 3 0" Width Universal Each | eBay
or would a 3 inch width be too much?

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have been through that whole process up to the point of my exhaust cracking. The best solution is to change the front and rear motor mounts. It is the engine movement that is causing the exhaust to loosen and eventually crack. It is a very easy diy job.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 5 of 5 Posts