The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
3 weeks to stock on gasket so re-used.

There's a noise that sounds like lifters ticking/tapping but it's not because can hear the lifters under the aforementioned noise. Rhythm increases with RPM, can hear it idling/running from outside and inside the car.

Annoying sounds like a VW bug!

After warm, can't hear at idle from outside of the car but can still hear it inside the car when it's running.

Aftermarket header. Decat. + CEL eliminator

Torqued the bolts outside in, (after bit of searching on forum learned this is not the correct method).

Is this the noise this car makes when the header has a leak?

Thanks

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check here: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/ticking-engine-40743/

There is a video clip with the ticking sound in that thread.

Is that what you are hearing?
no... in my case, i can hear the head cylinder noises under the other noise.

There was no tick whatsoever before the header change, occuring immediately afterwards.

The sound is like a very tight sputtering ie trails into the next beat unlike a lifter that is individually distinct. Is this tick tick what it sounds like when this engine has a header leak?

4 of the 5 bolts (3 upper, 1under) were torqued to spec.

thank you.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm, given the description of the issue, does Occum's Razor not dictate that the most likely candidate is the gasket?
yes I'm pretty sure this is what it is. Just want to know to verify if this is what a header leak typically sounds like on this car. I'm guessing the recirculator holes ontop excasperate the sound.

and how best to fix it?
1) is the seal sensitive to sequence in which bolts are tightened. Is it worth trying to retighten or
2) just replace the gasket.

thanks

·
Registered
271 Posts
If the header has thinner walls than the oem part (which it probably does), the valve noise will be more audible and that is normal. A leak is not normal of course. Headers should be torqued from the center outward.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If the header has thinner walls than the oem part (which it probably does), the valve noise will be more audible and that is normal. A leak is not normal of course. Headers should be torqued from the center outward.
interesting about the noise. but it's not valve noise, i can hear that seperately under the louder noise that's in question.

I'll retorque the bolts and see if it makes a difference. thanks.

Can anyone confirm that a header leak at the gasket location makes a noise that sounds like valves/lifters?

·
Registered
822 Posts
It can sound a bit like a tapping at times. Torque from inside out.

My experience with aftermarket headers has been that when you have an exhaust leak at the flange its usually that the flange is warped up on the outer edges.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It can sound a bit like a tapping at times. Torque from inside out.

My experience with aftermarket headers has been that when you have an exhaust leak at the flange its usually that the flange is warped up on the outer edges.
Ok thanks I'll try that. it was driving me mad on way home tonight, between the noise and arqray silencer, sounded like a bad mix between a VW Bug and tug boat.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts