The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So long story short, had my Esprit a few years. I bought it out of state and by the time it got delivered I only had a day or so to get it registered so I could get the pre approved loan for it. It originally had high flow cats and straight through pipes but I was having emission issues so I had a mechanic put back the original system to pass emissions and get the car registered. Of course like a dummy I didn't realize that once I had collector car insurance I didn't need emissions.

So fast forward to recently... I was having some other work done on the car and thought why don't I put those nice cats back on, don't ask me why it took so long to think about that, lol. didn't think it would be an issue but the shop tells me the end of the cat uses a flat flange and the standard muffler is a different connection and there isn't enough metal there to weld a matching flange connection.

So one option is just to put some straight pipes there but seriously I recall how loud these were, lol. Like I don't mind a loud exhaust, I have an M3 and an M2 both with custom exhausts and they're pretty loud but nothing compared to what I remember the straight pipe being like. So I'd like some kind of muffler there.

One thought was to build a kind of straight pipe system with inline bullet type mufflers. I also found this...

Which seems ideal, but the shop said they have been unable to connect with the company, not sure if they're still around? I'll probably try myself. Does anyone know of a similar type of solution?

So anyhow thought I'd solicit input from folks far wiser than myself. Got to believe other folks have crossed this path before. I did find a few threads but didn't really answer all my questions.

Thx

Jerry

·
Registered
813 Posts
They are still around. Dont always do great with e-mail for some reason. I think they are really busy. You might call JAE and see what they have? One issue I had with ordering from UK for larger items was the import tax. The item ships, you think everything is great, you paid for the item and shipping...and then you get a notification from customs and they want x% of the value before they release it....I get it, just wish I knew up front.

·
Car Adicted
250 Posts
Jerry, I have written on here plenty about my exhaust. I have a 98 and have No Cats at all and a muffler delete setup. Dropped a bunch on weight also. It still comes out in the stock location on each side. It has a great sound now and you can here that flat crank better. It sounds like more of a bruiser and it definitely spools up quicker on the turbo charger. The turbos themselves muffle a lot of the sound. I personally like it and don't think it is too loud.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts