The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally heared the elise with the stock exhaust, but I'm looking for a louder and more aggressive exhaust tone. I plan on getting a after market exhaust or one of the sport exhaust but before doing so, i want to know the variety of exhaust that are out there for the US Elise. So far I know theres the Stage 1, 2 and the quick silver exhaust. I know tubi has a exhaust for the euro s2, are they developing one for the US? So far I havnt heard any of the exhaust, except the quick silver video. Could some one post video clips of various exhaust from the outside?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
More exhaust questions...

Gang,

Does anybody know the difference between the Stage 1, 2, & 3 exhausts. I know that each is supposed to be "progressively lighter and louder", but...

How light?

How loud?

How much? (Parts and installaction)

Any power gains?

Also, I've heard of Stage I's and II's being installed now. Have the Stage III's come out yet?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Here's what I've seen from Lotus...

"Sport Exhaust

There should be 3 levels of sport exhaust available. Each being louder and lighter. These exhausts aren't shipped with the cars due to Federal noise requirements.

It will be extremely difficult for after market companies to offer an exhaust with the same performance level as the one offered by Lotus. The exhaust tube is bifurcated at a specific distance from the header. This distance is critical and if not duplicated, power will be reduced."

Does this mean that stock is the first level or sport exhaust?

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
3 levels. Stock, Stage 1, and Stage 2. A bit confusing.

Stage 1 is almost the same weight as stock, *maybe* a pound less. But with more sound.

Stage 2 is ~8 pounds lighter, noticeably smaller... and not legal for street use (probably just never certified) with a "For track use only" plate on it. It's the loudest of course, but I think it's not that loud. IMHO. Stage 2 requires you (or the installer) to trim out the holes in the diffuser.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
I just got Stage 2 installed at my after-sales-service. It sounds...P E R F E C T. And the huge, mean looking yet half hidden tips look great too.

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
Stan said:
I just got Stage 2 installed at my after-sales-service. It sounds...P E R F E C T. And the huge, mean looking yet half hidden tips look great too.
have you roasted any marshmellows yet? :p

I wonder if the exhaust would pop a flame or two during hard downshifting and stuff.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>>I wonder if the exhaust would pop a flame or two during hard downshifting and stuff.<<<

I betcha it would if a test-pipe were installed in lieu of the catalytic converter. My E30 M3 does this nicely if I yank the cat. Just back off from high revs while in gear or while shifting. If you can richen the mixture at such times this increases that effect too.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>>Hey stan can you make a video clip if you have a digi-camcorder? Thanks<<

I'd be happy to make an in-car and a side-of-the-road audio tape...can you host it for me? Or maybe the site can...

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
I'm sure Randy would have no problem hosting it. If not, I'll try digging something up...

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Drag it over here and send me a pm to let me know it's there and I can host it.

ftp://chasecam.com/incoming/

But I will be in and out (mostly out) until late tonight

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Okay I'll make a recording tomorrow....thunderstorms are headed our way here in CT at the moment...

Some Stage 2 PICs...got some smudgies on the diffuser to clean up...:

·
Registered
98 Posts
i'm just wondering how much for the stage 2 exhaust with installation and does every dealer have it in stock or you have to special order it? great pix!

·
Supporting Vendor
4,290 Posts
Has anyone seen any dyno info on the Stage 2?

I was at Symbolic Service today and apparently one of their customers had the Stage 2 REMOVED from his car. He felt it was too loud. :rolleyes: I thought it sounded good...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts