The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone know what the engine/exhaust sound will be like in the us?
in the videos of the european elises, it doesn't sound very impressive, and builds the "toy/go-kart" image more than the ferrari-eater image....

the 350z (my second choice at the moment) sounds incredible - i'd like to hear something like that from the elise. i would probably spend more time with the cd player off than on if it sounded like that...

·
Registered
963 Posts
If you are going to buy a car based on the sound, you really shouldn't be getting the Elise.

I'd say the 350Z is for you.

If you still want the Elise, there are always after market exhaust systems that will come along.

·
Registered
368 Posts
frukio said:
anyone know what the engine/exhaust sound will be like in the us?
in the videos of the european elises, it doesn't sound very impressive, and builds the "toy/go-kart" image more than the ferrari-eater image....

the 350z (my second choice at the moment) sounds incredible - i'd like to hear something like that from the elise. i would probably spend more time with the cd player off than on if it sounded like that...
Answers for this question will be subjective, and personally I don't think that the 350z's note is very exciting. I have heard the Euro-spec Elise's note. It sounded better to me, because it had more character. Just my opinion anyways.
Cars I've been around, in, or driven:
The exhaust notes I like are M3's when revved up high, Ferraris, Air-cooled Porsche 911s, Mercedes V-8, and most cars that have Tubi exhaust. The ones I don't like are Camaro and Mustang V8s and especially all those Japanese cars with aft-mkt exhausts systems (they're annoying like little Chihuahua dogs). Again just my opinion.
I wouldn't expect the exhaust note of the Elise to be among my favorites, but the handling and road feel is why I'd get this car. I also think it's a sleeper. Who'd expect this tiny car some people might confuse with an MR Spyder to kick butt against Mustangs and Supras.

·
Registered
8 Posts
350Z and Elise not on same buying list

I own a 350Z and an Elise 190. I've driven both on street and will track the Elise this Sunday.

The differences between these two cars is huge. The Z is a great daily driver. It is nice on the track -- but the brakes go away after a few laps due to the weight.

The Elise is a small car -- and I've owned and like small cars -- but this car is really small. The tunnel is offset towards the passenger to give more driver room -- plan to take small passengers. There is no graceful way to get in or out of it with the roof on. Small sacrifice for the pleasure -- now and then -- but not on my way to a business appointment.

Maybe many don't want to hear this but the Elise is unlikely to be a great daily driver -- except for a unique few. In being close to a light weight race car it has traded many street attributes away. Although I truly love the Elise it doesn't impress me as a car I want to run 50,000 miles on.

As far as sound - without the cat and an Eliseparts stainless exhaust -- well it isn't going to be confused with any go-cart!!! It sounds flat ass mean. And on the track 350Z's will be in the mirrors.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts