The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for exhaust replacement for the too quiet 89. I sure would like a few beans in power and not just sound for the whole package.
Exhaust can have 2 outlets as well. I'd prefer that.
Thanks.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Check out lotusespritworld.com they have a section from alunox. Their exhausts look top notch. I have a stebro and I am please but if I needed to make a change I would go with the alunox.
Jason

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Cal H
982 Posts
Remove the muffler and go straight pipes if you want a more volume. It is not that loud because the turbo quiets things down more than one would think. My car and a few others run without one as I bought it that way. Although in my previous Esprit I prefered a really quiet car as to not draw the attention of speed enforcement

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Looking for exhaust replacement for the too quiet 89. I sure would like a few beans in power and not just sound for the whole package.
Exhaust can have 2 outlets as well. I'd prefer that.
Thanks.
Did you get your car yet? Pics??? :coolnana::coolnana:

·
Registered
31 Posts
I did a Quicksilver cat delete, EBPV spacer and Quicksilver Sport with muffler delete on my 1994 S4. Kinda loud but I like it, esp when you get off the throttle between 3-4k rpm - pops, and crackles out the exhaust and gets heads turning. Plus saves a lot of weight over the stock system.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
I did a Quicksilver cat delete, EBPV spacer and Quicksilver Sport with muffler delete on my 1994 S4. Kinda loud but I like it, esp when you get off the throttle between 3-4k rpm - pops, and crackles out the exhaust and gets heads turning. Plus saves a lot of weight over the stock system.
I got mine from Ramspot and Brandt in Germany, not cheap but UBER excellent quality and HUGE loss of weight compared to stock!

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f164/s4-exhaust-help-156025/index2.html

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I had the sigle left exit on my 89 and got a really nice stainless exhaust from Stebro. Look them up. Mine had a lifetime warranty which they honored when a seam split.
Added a nice sound, dropped about 25 pounds, and improved things all the way around, especially in throttle response.
If they no longer can help check out the German aftermarket shops. I had great dealings with PUK in Germany. A little pricier but they know their Esprits and are willing to help if needed. I had a problem with a damper, got opn the phone and the gent walked me thru the fix.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,083 Posts
Mike,

The dual outlet muffler from a 90s Camaro or Firebird (2.5" inlet) bolts right into the Esprit. You have to modify the left side valence, of course.

Spend a few extra bucks on a Magneflow stainless steel unit (rather than going cheap with a mild-steel Flowmaster). It will last longer and sounds a bit bass-y.

As for performance gains, you will NOT be able to tell, even with a Cat delete...Put your money into green-dot pulleys next time you change the timing belt. THAT, you can FEEL.

·
'94 S4
238 Posts
Remove the muffler and go straight pipes if you want a more volume. It is not that loud because the turbo quiets things down more than one would think. My car and a few others run without one as I bought it that way. Although in my previous Esprit I prefered a really quiet car as to not draw the attention of speed enforcement
The previous owner of my car did this. Here's a short vid for the sound he made. Just my opinion but it's a sound for an Esprit that a lot of aftermarket systems don't measure up to. The cat is still on. What maxvelocity says about the volume I think is accurate.

·
Cal H
982 Posts
Do any of you with straight pipes get the flame out of the pipes during certain conditions LOL A lot of people do and it startles some that are following behind that see it for the first time.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I get Blue flame car is decated and I’m running Flow master but also have bigger injectors on.

·
Cal H
982 Posts
Check out lotusespritworld.com they have a section from alunox. Their exhausts look top notch. I have a stebro and I am please but if I needed to make a change I would go with the alunox.
Jason

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Good stuff but way out of my budget. I'm more like a bend pipe and mig weld type of guy. If I have to replace a section every several years its not too tragic. Although the exhaust manifold is something else. Can't make one of those. But there is a local guy that says he can fix the cast ones so we are going to give him a shot at repairing one. If he is willing to guarantee his work and if it last another 40K miles I'm okay with that rather than the spendy stainless one

·
Super Moderator
4,030 Posts
[snip]Put your money into green-dot pulleys next time you change the timing belt. THAT, you can FEEL.
Uh, so I have a 'friend' who has a California smog-legal Esprit that will need a timing belt soon. How difficult is it to install the green-dot pulleys? Does it require removal of the cam towers?

And the deal breaker: Will the car still pass stringent CA smog test?

The plan is to keep the cat (and even the EBVP) :evil:

·
Registered
860 Posts
Uh, so I have a 'friend' who has a California smog-legal Esprit that will need a timing belt soon. How difficult is it to install the green-dot pulleys? Does it require removal of the cam towers?

And the deal breaker: Will the car still pass stringent CA smog test?

The plan is to keep the cat (and even the EBVP) :evil:
the pulley is easy to change. You do need to loosen the timing belt...slide off the cam pulley.... swap in the the green dots....reassemble. essentially, that's it. That's the cliffs' notes version.

most people go deeper though. You can get away with purchasing a single green dot pulley....harvest the other one from the oil pump shaft...... install a new timing, too. All of the is makes for a for involved install, but again, it's not terrible..... just time consuming, a lot more part removal/disassembly.....and tight access.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,083 Posts
I had replied but the post is missing...

I was told that my engine w/green dot camwheels was VERY clean one of the times it was smogged. (sniffer test in tailpipe)

So I wouldn't worry for your "friend". :rolleyes:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts