The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else concerned with the aerodynamic issues presented by the location of the new exhaust? I see some possible problems, which are unfortunately cumulative:
  1. Increased turbulence and drag beneath the car. This will lead to increased air pressure underneath the back of the car at speed, which will increase lift at the back wheels.
  2. Blocked "ground effect". The center ground effect chamber (if that's what it is) gets blocked by the exhaust. This will decrease the downforce of the ground effect at the back. Not sure that the center chamber is indeed for ground effect, though.
Downforce at the front of the car should not be affected by this. Even the issue at the back should be insignificant at under 120 mph. But I'd be interested to know if Lotus wind-tunneled the car with the new exhaust configuration or took any steps to counteract possible aerodynamics issues.

·
Registered
216 Posts
This is a Lotus. Do you think they would have just stuck a new exhaust on without checking ? Have you seen the exhaustive wind tunnel and track work that goes in to developing these cars ?
Giles.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
The exhaust was put where it now is, because this was the fastest place for it.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Randy Chase said:
The exhaust was put where it now is, because this was the fastest place for it.

:D :D

Have you gotten a look at its routing yet Randy? Where is the muffler located and approximate length of the system? Does it just go straight out shortest route possible?

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
L8BRAKR said:
:D :D

Have you gotten a look at its routing yet Randy? Where is the muffler located and approximate length of the system? Does it just go straight out shortest route possible?
Yes, it goes straight out with minimal length.

·
Registered
493 Posts
This is getting comical.

Questioning the decisions of what is arguably the premier sports car developer? Are you serious?

Lotus, please raise the price of the Elise $10K so we can get rid of the poseurs.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Looking at the various posts* on the Elise boards recently, it seems to me we're all suffering from the "how-much-longer-till-it-gets-here" syndrome in one way or another. :D ;)

*Posts about ugly reflectors, 0 to 60 discrepancies, exhaust relocations, Elise value per dollar, etc.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Yeah, it's like discussions on racing forums, during the off season.

And it also reminds of me project management when the team approaches the last 10% of the schedule...

P.S. Raising the price will NOT get rid of the posers...not that I think Transio is one, he just posts very quickly and IMO, things pop into his mind and he posts them! ;)

·
Registered
493 Posts
Hey Transio, I'm not trying to pick on you, I'm just getting tired reading all this nonsense (from everyone), yet I find myself continuously drawn to reading these posts......you'd think I could just avoid the site for a couple of months.......AHHHHHH!

My only justice is that CO is a $1200 option. Hopefully that will keep me in rare company!

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Randy, did you find out where they keep the keys? If 30 of us arrive en masse at the Lotus display on Friday morning, we should be able to drive off with at least 2 or 3 of the display cars. If I could have it today, I could live with any of those colors. :D

What are we going to fight about for the next six months?

·
Registered
493 Posts
I say we go over to porsche pete's boxster board (ppbb.com) and start fighting with the boxster owners. Then we can move over to the Z4 board, and so forth, until we rule the web!

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Randy Chase said:
P.S. Raising the price will NOT get rid of the posers...not that I think Transio is one, he just posts very quickly and IMO, things pop into his mind and he posts them! ;)
Thanks for the vote of confidence, Randy.

I think the problem is that sometimes I post things in ambiguous fashion such that I give the wrong impression.

What I intended by this post is to get information from you guys, if you knew anything about such issues, not to suggest that I knew there was a problem. The items I stated were as possibilities, not as definite problems. Maybe I should have made the tone of the post more inquisitive in nature.

Sorry for any confusion.

:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts