The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Banned
2007 Exige S
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need an idea of who would be interested in some CNC AL Spill Plates for their Exiege wing? RLS use to make some carbon ones and another forum member has also made some, but I cannot stand by with people charging almost $200 for silly end caps/plates.

SO! Here I am. I’m going to manufacture them and they will be $100 a set CNC out of Aluminum. They will be similar shape to the ones that were offered prior by other companies but with a special twist and will post photos when complete. They will come with 2 left and right side plates that will be able to be mounted BOTH directions for different looks depending on what you’re going for.
The color options will be raw/brushed aluminum to match the standard finish on the cars, and for an additional $25 fee I will Cerakote them either matte black, gloss black, or whatever darn color you choose!
I’ll need 25 people to Agree to justify spending my time with solidworks.
There is zero profit in these so once they’re gone, they will be gone. Sorry I’m not going to make them in carbon, not worth my time.

Chime in if you’d want a set and if there is zero interest then I’ll squash the entire project!

Thanks!

·
Banned
2007 Exige S
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nope. Making 10 sets. Will be right under 1lb a side, Al, satin black. The 3D printed prototype will be finished soon for test fit and mock-up, then after will be ready for cnc.

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Why not just rout or waterjet a sheet of premade CF? What's the benefit of your approach?

·
Banned
2007 Exige S
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Because aluminum is better to run on CNC. We don’t want just a flat boring piece of CF or AL. It will be functional and look better than anyone’s out there. It’s only just a fun project and will be limited 1 time run. Then, onto the next fun project. The rear stock wing functions decent for normal users. The spill plates will keep the high and low pressure seperate and allow it to function a bit better. These will also be cosmetically pleasing and let’s face it. They’ll give 10+HP :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
We don’t want just a flat boring piece of CF or AL.
This detail was the answer to my question. I've seen too many people using multi-axis machines for just a more expensive version of what a dual axis machine could do. With premade CF sheet though, you could probably knock out a dozen pairs of end plates for just $300 or so, so you still have to prove why your approach is so much more effective. It should also be noted that I am not one to splurge on bling so I am more interested in functional aspects, but there is very obviously a strong market bling.

·
Banned
2007 Exige S
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This detail was the answer to my question. I've seen too many people using multi-axis machines for just a more expensive version of what a dual axis machine could do. With premade CF sheet though, you could probably knock out a dozen pairs of end plates for just $300 or so, so you still have to prove why your approach is so much more effective. It should also be noted that I am not one to splurge on bling so I am more interested in functional aspects, but there is very obviously a strong market bling.
Just a pure fun thing to offer 10 sets of these to the select few who want them. We design aerodynamic parts for Raytheon and also are a major firearm manufacturer and have plenty of capabilities. It’s gonna be run on a vertical. The function will, as I said, be to keep the high and low pressure separated vs the stock non functioning end caps. We already have 8 of the 10 spoken for and will be sending a set to Shinoo to see what he thinks. Just the fact 8 are spoken for shows people want some bling bling and it’s an added bonus that the performance will be just a bit better then stock.

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Just a pure fun thing to offer 10 sets of these to the select few who want them. We design aerodynamic parts for Raytheon and also are a major firearm manufacturer and have plenty of capabilities. It’s gonna be run on a vertical. The function will, as I said, be to keep the high and low pressure separated vs the stock non functioning end caps. We already have 8 of the 10 spoken for and will be sending a set to Shinoo to see what he thinks. Just the fact 8 are spoken for shows people want some bling bling and it’s an added bonus that the performance will be just a bit better then stock.
I am a mechanical engineering analyst in that exact same field, so I am just answering your request for feedback. I am well aware of the function of end plates and their pros and cons, so my questions have not been "why end plates?" but rather "why CNC aluminum that weighs 1lb and costs $100 when it sounds like the design could be done both cheaper and lighter?".

·
Banned
2007 Exige S
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1st Because 1/2 carbon fiber is expensive to source. Find me some 1/2 sheet that isnt 2x2 twill that has 12x24 dimensions for under $150 a sheet. We have an abundance of scrap AL that can be used for this.

2nd not everyone likes carbon fiber, and our coating of choice is cerakote which we apply in house.

3rd because you cannot mill CF to the thin dimensions of AL with the cutaways we will be doing

4th weight? 1.7 lbs total? Come on. You can poop and go drive and lose more weight then that. Unless it’s something over 5lbs I’m not worried about it. The Average car has more then that in weight with dirt grime grease and other stuff. Not worried about the weight.

5th because this is America and this is how we’ve decided to make them. It won’t appeal to everyone. But if you’re one of the 10 that will have a set. Then i promise the quality will
Be top notch and not some 1.5mm thin carbon fiber someone milled in their studio apartment with a hobby saw.

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
In reference to #4, it is not the difference in weight but where the weight is located.
Later,
Eldon

·
2006 Exige
727 Posts
4th weight? 1.7 lbs total? Come on. You can poop and go drive and lose more weight then that.
I get triggered every time I hear this poop argument. 'Marginal gains' weight savings can be powerful. I'm a certified weight weenie though with mountain bikes, backpacking gear, and cars....

Do you have pictures of what your product will look like?

·
Banned
2007 Exige S
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I get triggered every time I hear this poop argument. 'Marginal gains' weight savings can be powerful. I'm a certified weight weenie though with mountain bikes, backpacking gear, and cars....

Do you have pictures of what your product will look like?
Oh yes sorry I forgot to include the image. Here is the product :rolleyes: +25 HP. Since AL was too heavy we’ll make A few sets out of mil spec cardboard and it’ll be $.25 a set for all interested. Geez. Once the printed models are finished I’ll update the thread.

mountain bikes backpacking gear are not similar for weight comparisons as one is human driven and the other mechanically and only matter compared to the physical fitness of the user.

oh and the final weight is actually 1.3698lbs for a set. Stock end caps....depending on how much glue or paint is on them. Are 1.1 for the pair. So it’s marginal.
J

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
1st Because 1/2 carbon fiber is expensive to source. Find me some 1/2 sheet that isnt 2x2 twill that has 12x24 dimensions for under $150 a sheet. We have an abundance of scrap AL that can be used for this.

2nd not everyone likes carbon fiber, and our coating of choice is cerakote which we apply in house.

3rd because you cannot mill CF to the thin dimensions of AL with the cutaways we will be doing

4th weight? 1.7 lbs total? Come on. You can poop and go drive and lose more weight then that. Unless it’s something over 5lbs I’m not worried about it. The Average car has more then that in weight with dirt grime grease and other stuff. Not worried about the weight.

5th because this is America and this is how we’ve decided to make them. It won’t appeal to everyone. But if you’re one of the 10 that will have a set. Then i promise the quality will
Be top notch and not some 1.5mm thin carbon fiber someone milled in their studio apartment with a hobby saw.
1) so why are you charging so much and claiming no profit?
2) so paint it
3) You don't need to
4) You mentioned weight first
5) Bingo. You specifically asked for feedback then shat over every bit of the valid feedback and now admit to never wanting feedback.

·
Banned
2007 Exige S
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Lol geez I thought posting on this forum would be more fun. Charge so much? $100 is a lot? Glad you value the time and effort to do this at about .02 cents an hour. Now I know how Thomas felt when he was doing RLS. Not appreciated in the slightest. I’ll just mind my own business from now on. You obviously arnt interested in them and they’re all spoke for anyways. So thanks for your feedback. Even tho every point you made was irrelevant and got nothing accomplished.

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Lol geez I thought posting on this forum would be more fun. Charge so much? $100 is a lot? Glad you value the time and effort to do this at about .02 cents an hour. Now I know how Thomas felt when he was doing RLS. Not appreciated in the slightest. I’ll just mind my own business from now on. You obviously arnt interested in them and they’re all spoke for anyways. So thanks for your feedback. Even tho every point you made was irrelevant and got nothing accomplished.
Dude, I've maintained a level tone and asked fair questions. I was actually excited until I saw the pictures because you teased that they'd be interesting.

·
Banned
2007 Exige S
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dude, I've maintained a level tone and asked fair questions. I was actually excited until I saw the pictures because you teased that they'd be interesting.
As I said. When the 3D printing is done I’ll post photos. I’m just messing around everyone’s just way to serious these days. It’s a fun project cause I’m bored. Everyone always has to have some alter motive to do something. I make my money in another field. I do this other stuff for fun, and I’ll continue to make cool stuff so our little community can have some fun.

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
As I said. When the 3D printing is done I’ll post photos. I’m just messing around everyone’s just way to serious these days. It’s a fun project cause I’m bored. Everyone always has to have some alter motive to do something. I make my money in another field. I do this other stuff for fun, and I’ll continue to make cool stuff so our little community can have some fun.
I think we'd all appreciate more reasonable responses though. You seem to have gotten very offended by me trying to have a legitimate two-way conversation with you because I love engineering. Maybe it is just how impossible it is to convey tone over text, and if that was my mistake then I apologize. You do seem to have taken my questions as attacks when they truly weren't meant to be though.

Your hobby is well-suited to this community, but you'll have to expect people to question engineering choices purely because we all tend to gravitate towards such things - it is what drew most of us to the brand.

·
Banned
2007 Exige S
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No harm no foul. Appreciate the responses. Can’t please everyone, but if there is some good feedback then it’ll be taken into consideration.

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
How close is the cardboard mock-up to the finial design? Shape, size and positioning?
Thanks,
Eldon

1 - 20 of 44 Posts