The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased an Exige 240 and am interested in what fellow lotus talk members believe is the best rear view camera is?

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
I got used to it. Side mirrors work great.

Saved money, time, and altering the car.

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
I recently purchased an Exige 240 and am interested in what fellow lotus talk members believe is the best rear view camera is?
Don't know if it's the best...probably isn't, but I use an Audiovox wireless. Installed in about 30 minutes total, from the time I opened the box. 4.5 inch monitor, I mounted mine under the dash.

If I had the inclination, though, I'd probably go with a stereo unit with a monitor that retracts.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts

Side mirrors and the gas pedal. :)

I have a boyo rearview in mine hooked up to a flip up alpine with 7" screen. I still don't look at it to change lanes unless in rush hour traffic. The boyo has a 140 degree field of view I think. I can see cars beside me from the camera that is over my license plate. Unless it is a short car, their rear wheels are visible in the camera when their front bumper is visible out the side windows.

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
What I did was mount a 5.6" LCD with GPS & AV in on the original rear mirror location (took out the rear mirror in the first week when the car arrived).

The LCD has 1/5 hidden between the wind shield and the roof.

The camera is with 120 degree auto WB installed on top of the rear plate. The image is 2 time further away compare to the side mirror.

So I will change the camera to a 92 degree one and this should have same image size as the side mirror.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
You know I think the flip alpine is probably the way to go...I don't have one but could see it coming in handy but for me it maybe more for cool sake, I dont know. I have not purchased because I have gotten so use to the mirrors and it as worked fairly well. Now if it helped with being parked in a lot to see more left and right when backing out of a spot than I think I may purchase. There are just times when larger cars are near and you cant see so you just inch out...

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I always back into spots. Mainly because it was company policy at first, but it really is safer, especially in an exige. :)

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
If it's behind you, it doesn't matter...

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Cheap plug, but if someone wants to go the gps with rearview camera route I have a Garmin 5000 that has video input on it just sitting here. :)

With the small amount of road driving I do these days it wasn't worth the hassle of getting it all mounted then pulling it out for the track days.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank You all for your inputs, I purchased an avic-n5 and the boyo 420 whatever camera which many people use around this forum.

I only want the camera for comfort when backing up and seeing what is behind me while I am driving.

When switching lanes I just check the mirrors and use the gas pedal as my friend

1 - 12 of 12 Posts