The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the instructions say it takes 12 hours to get the transaxle out of an Exige. This was about right considering I had no lift. My son is thankful it didn't break while he was driving it. I shipped the transaxle off to Blackwatch Racing on Saturday. Fred's notable quote from our conversation, "After the rebuild, we might see this transaxle again some day but it won't be for 3rd or 4th!" A fun part of this hobby is working with experts who know exactly what to do and how to do it!

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I know that all too well. Gotta be careful with spinning the tires up over bumps on stock gears! (thats what it sounded like to me?) Over time you can get the trans in and out on a unmodified car in about 5 hours or less. Practice makes perfect ;)

·
Vendor
3,299 Posts
I've the gearbox out of my car in 42 minutes. I have way more practice than Kevin, Sadly. I am going to post some pictures of our gearset vs stock so people can see the differences.

To all on a another note: If you experience a failure like this. If at all possible, immediately put the clutch in and get off to the side of the track to get towed back. Sometimes, like this case, it is not possible. Safety is most important. The reason for this is that once 3rd or 4th fails, the metal teeth all strip off and start floating around the transmission. The Ring and pinion(Output shaft) can get a piece of tooth between them and push them apart hard enough to split the bell housing apart and rip all the teeth off the Ring and pinion. It isn't common, but it isn't rare!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've the gearbox out of my car in 42 minutes. I have way more practice than Kevin, Sadly. I am going to post some pictures of our gearset vs stock so people can see the differences.

To all on a another note: If you experience a failure like this. If at all possible, immediately put the clutch in and get off to the side of the track to get towed back. Sometimes, like this case, it is not possible. Safety is most important. The reason for this is that once 3rd or 4th fails, the metal teeth all strip off and start floating around the transmission. The Ring and pinion(Output shaft) can get a piece of tooth between them and push them apart hard enough to split the bell housing apart and rip all the teeth off the Ring and pinion. It isn't common, but it isn't rare!
This is sage advice. There is no doubt that third gear made a mess of everything. It sounded like somebody dumped a box of washers in there:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,321 Posts
Been there, done that. If you track and actually push the car, you are going to strip either 3rd or 4th sooner or later.
Later,
Eldon

·
Vendor
3,299 Posts
Eldon,

Don't limit yourself, I've stripped the ring and pinion a couple of times and broken several input shafts.

·
Vendor
3,299 Posts
FyndFyre Hehe, nah, I wouldn't be that scared. The nice thing about my XP car is it is on the pointy, pointy end of abuse so we see the 6 sigma failures. The Ring and Pinion issues are Rare, mostly from drag launches. I can count on 1 hand the folks that have broken those. I think I am the only one that has broken stock input shafts into 2 pieces. The Quaife Sequential I/S is a piece of crap. The 3/4 failures are the most common. We redesigned that years ago. I'll go into all that more in a different post.

·
Premium Member
1,321 Posts
Fred,
I can backup the comment about breaking the ring and pinion due to pieces floating around in the trans from broken parts. But, most of us do not have the HP at the wheel that you do nor do we typically do auto-x style start and stops. ;-)
Later,
Eldon

·
Vendor
3,299 Posts
Fred,
I can backup the comment about breaking the ring and pinion due to pieces floating around in the trans from broken parts. But, most of us do not have the HP at the wheel that you do nor do we typically do auto-x style start and stops. ;-)
Later,
Eldon
This is true, but it is all a trade off. AutoXers typically avoid smashing into ARMCO, so we break parts in different ways!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts