The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do not yet own an Exige but I am very close to possibly getting one. I live where I work so I do not commute. I really need a new toy for that mid time in life. (you know what I mean!!!:panic:)

How does every one feel about the exige as a daily driver and an occasional track day car? :nanner:

·
Super Moderator
5,454 Posts
"Perfect" is the answer you are seeking - the search function will bring up loads of responses to this question too!!! :)

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
If you don't have long commutes on Interstates, can avoid parallel parking, and you have another car in case of heavy rain or snow, it is a great car. It's tons of fun, reliable and even gets good gas mileage.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
A048 tires do not have a problem gripping wet pavement as long as the thickness of the water layer is so thin as to still allow conforming adhesion of the rubber around the road surface irregularities. As soon as the water layer is thicker than that you are at risk of hydroplaning. Under this condition, and of course depending on your speed, the A048 tires act like fat water skis and away you go.

xtn

·
Registered
780 Posts
DUDE!!! It is terrible on the track . If you get it with power steering its awesome as a daily driver. Get the heated seats. Oh! and you can search the forum about your topic too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Some one once told me "Your don't drive this car, you wear it". I think that pretty much sizes it up for me. Out of all the Exotics Ive owned, this one puts the biggest smile on my face.

Driving this car to me is like my riding my old Ducati 996, I get the most enjoyment when I park it on the rainy days and the anticipation builds to get back in the seat. :shift:

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
It's a British car. Think about that for just a moment.

But, some people have found the A048 tires to not grip so well in the rain.
Like it doesn't rain in England? :rolleyes:

I did toss the A048's for some RE01's, they do fine here. I daily drive my Exige, well uh. Daily. :D

·
Registered
749 Posts
You'll have no problems with this car as a daily driver. Even if you did commute. I also work at home, and it fits that bill even more perfectly.

Despite the impression some magazine articles may give, the Elise and Exige are both great daily drivers. Snow/extreme weather aside, of course. But that is obvious I think.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Two considerations:

1) Safe parking: Do you have to parallel park because these cars are easily damaged by fender benders/braille parking and expensive to fix

2) What's your tolerance for Spartan: It all depends on your level for rawness. For perspective, some of us use sportsbikes as daily drivers which makes the Exige/Elise feel like you're sitting at home playing a video game.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
When I said rain, I didn't mean my Exige is bad to drive in rain. I mean't sharing the road with idiots sliding around gets a little scary. My A048s actually feel pretty good in the rain.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I don't own an Exige but I do daily my Elise and absolutely love it. I always tell people it is my therapy. If I have a bad day at work I am smiling by the time I get home. I find it comfy, great on gas, fast, and the handling is amazing.

One thing I have to say regarding the rain is that for the most part I never had any issues BUT one day when it was raining hard I was stuck in the far right lane, it was dark out, the freeway lights were causing glare and the water had pooled up on the right. I was forced to drive through a puddle about a foot deep!! The water was basically scooped up into the radiator inlet. I got through the puddle fine but the cold water that was stuck near the radiator started to create steam causing a big smoke screen on my windshield.

So now it was dark out, I was surrounded by Semi's, the freeway lights were now creating more glare on my fogged up windshield, and the good old Lotus defroster wasn't exactly fixing the situation. I couldn't see anything!!!! I had to roll my window down in the rain and stick my head out the window just to make it to my offramp without killing myself. You also could not make out where the lanes were since it was pouring rain and the glare made the lines disappear.

All that being said, I won't hesitate to drive my Elise in the rain again but will make damn sure I don't hit any foot deep puddles.

This car is pure fun. It wasn't built for anything other than having fun. If you are the kind of person who likes to have fun and is willing to sacrifice certain things for it and will not cry about how hard it is to get in and out of (boo hoo) or other stuff cry babies here complain about then this is the car for you......to daily drive.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts