The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Tire
I recently purchased a 07 exige. I also have a 05 elise. I'm noticing the body panels on the exige have much bigger gaps. Is it normal for Exiges to have big gaps between the body panels?

·
Registered
4 Posts
For better Aerodynamics you can duct tape the gaps...

.. otherwise you can try to removee the clam and work with shimms to arrange the bodypanels better than the one who did it before you.
From my experience it is a pain in the ass because the whole frontclam is a huge single piece of plastic..
;)

·
Administrator
9,103 Posts
Maybe the clam had been removed for repair and not shimmed correctly afterwards.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Maybe the clam had been removed for repair and not shimmed correctly afterwards.
Just going off that one picture, the door hinge needs to be rotated counter-clockwise. I think the clam is fine since it is had to get that much gap at that spot by only moving the front clam. The front clam also looks aligned to the hinge cover, so I'd start with the door first. It'd help to see the door alignment to the rear clam, too.

·
Registered
840 Posts
If you post pics of rear of door gap, it will be telling.
If the gap at the rear is fine, then when you tighten front clam down, add some force rearwards, then tighten.

·
Registered
'10 Exige S260 Sport
654 Posts
that gap and the gap between the bottom of the clam and lower fender cover is also much to wide.
as other posters have mentioned the shims used are either to many, not enough or when the upper clam was put back on they did a poor job of tightening the bolts in the proper order.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
That second one is certainly front clam and/or hinge cover. The first picture looked like those two were more evenly spaced, but here they definitely aren’t. Could’ve been the angle of the first pic throwing me off, too. Adjusting these isn’t hard.

·
Registered
'10 Exige S260 Sport
654 Posts
you can see how the clam (upper piece) is sitting further forward than the lower. The lower piece really doesn't have any fore or aft adjustability. So everything is, IMHO, in the upper clam.
if you are adventuresome once you remove the front headlights and the service panels (just below the windshield) all of the front clam bolts are accessible. you could then loosen all of them (maybe 10 bolts of varying sizes) and the clam will be loose. then you can slide it rearwards once some of the shims are removed. it doesn't require much to close the gaps.

·
Premium Member
2006 Exige
1,033 Posts
Post pictures of the gap at the rear of the door.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Elise & Exige clams & panels are produced by very different processes. Elise panels are primary machine fabricated with an male & female mold. The molds are designed to control heat during the curing process and control shrinkage. The Exige panels are more or less hand laid into a female mold where it's difficult to control shrinkage during curing. Thus Elise panel gaps are expected to be more uniform since the panels are more consistent.

Cheers,
Kiyoshi

·
Premium Member
2006 Exige
1,033 Posts
I think your door is ok.As has been said this is
several small adjustments.Here is a pic of how
it should look.
Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire

·
He's on fire!
3,487 Posts
Trying to talk through the type of adjustments you can make (by memory)

At point 1 there are shims that allow you to adjust the depth of the clam edge, so that it sticks out as much as the eyelet and door surface
At point 2 there are shims that allow you to adjust the depth of the clam so that it matches the depth of the panel below
And when you get the whole thing loose, you can slide the clam forward so the door gap is consistent for the entire leading edge of the door, as well as adjust the size of the gap between point two and the panel below.

Hopefully that helps

Car Tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Trying to talk through the type of adjustments you can make (by memory)

At point 1 there are shims that allow you to adjust the depth of the clam edge, so that it sticks out as much as the eyelet and door surface
At point 2 there are shims that allow you to adjust the depth of the clam so that it matches the depth of the panel below
And when you get the whole thing loose, you can slide the clam forward so the door gap is consistent for the entire leading edge of the door, as well as adjust the size of the gap between point two and the panel below.

Hopefully that helps

View attachment 1306252
Great insight. Thanks for the help!

·
shay2nak
25,202 Posts
That's definitely not normal.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts