The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the tolerance for side to side differences. I noticed the rear wheel wells look slightly different. It's about 8-10mm difference measuring from the tire to the rear side light. I know it's a hand made car but, curious if this seems normal.

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
We had something close to that on my Elise. Maybe 5-6mm on one side.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
I am not sure what you are measuring but the car will change when you get in it.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
chassis measurements are 1mm difference side to side at the same time the bodywork, at least over the rear wheel wells has a side to side difference of 8-10mm. So with weight in the car I would imagine things would remain constant. It' noticeable in the area from the back of the rear tire to the side light (this is at about 3/4 towards the top). Just curious if anyone knows the actual tolerances.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
one of my clam shims tried to escape after a track day - they are up and behind the wheel panel - we can check the bolt to see if its tight back there. but i am not sure if that would allow the clam to move.. i kinda think not as it has other attachment points. i suspect they shim it for panel fit, not "chassis" fit? does anyone know?

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
after a better look around I found the seem just to the rear of the side scoop is a tighter fit on the driver side and where it comes together in the wheel well is set to the rear. Not sure if this is just a shim issue. 8-10mm seems like a fairly large tolerance even for a hand built car. Anyone else have something similar?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts