The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys, i'm looking into getting a car cover for my new (to me) 2006 KG Exige. I'm wondering if anyone has any tips about how much a cover is needed if it's going to be parked outside in the sun. Like if I were to drive it to work, a couple of times a week would I need an outdoor cover to stop the glorious krypton green from fading? Otherwise, the cover will mostly be for inside my garage.

Anyone have any specific cover recommendations? I've looked on the forums and I don't see any specific threads about it, but if there is one and I've missed it, feel free to link and bring on the hate :coolnana:

Thanks in advance!
Alex

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
I would never put a cover on a car in public - just screams douchebag. Long term outside at home go for it. Don't worry, it was designed to be used outside...

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I would never put a cover on a car in public - just screams douchebag. Long term outside at home go for it. Don't worry, it was designed to be used outside...
not at all, I think there is a difference between covering an accord and a lotus. depending on weather conditions, environment and time frame of course.

I'd love a red form fit car cover.

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
not at all, I think there is a difference between covering an accord and a lotus. depending on weather conditions, environment and time frame of course.

I'd love a red form fit car cover.
I get what you're saying but I still totally disagree. Perhaps on an extremely expensive car but you're talking about covering something cheaper than a new fully loaded Accord (using your example). I have one for the garage in winter when she's in storage.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
There is nothing wrong with covering your car. Bird droppings can damage the paint if the car is in the heat of the sun and then it cools.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm also kind of worried about the exposed engine seeing rain. The fact that it's totally open even has me worried about a drizzle. I also don't work in a building with windows so if it started raining I might be slow to get out there and either move the car or get it covered :/

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Rain isn't going to hurt your car other than it may leak into the cab a little bit. I get a bit of water on the door sills after a big rainstorm.
It's not going to hurt the engine, it's sealed up plenty well that a bit of water dripping on it won't hurt.

·
Premium Member
1,375 Posts
bird droppings will kill a good pint.But then again I can driink another

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
advantages of covering your car:
protection
mystique
a little more anonymity (the shape is still a dead giveaway though)
you make sure the first time people see it, you are in it!!!

disadvantages of covering your car:
thats an extra 3-5 minutes used up for each cover-uncover cycle
The rain you are protecting it from will get it wet, and then you stuff a wet cover into your 'boot'. then you have to worry about drying it out (assuming you go with cloth)
You can't appreciate its beauty from afar
You get the crazy car OCD guy label. Think about how many corvettes you see covered up. Heck, the only car I've seen covered in public parking is a shelby cobra (original, with no roof)

But hey, if you think it to be important, do it. Just don't overpamper your car to the point it becomes an inconvenience

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
I wouldn't use a cover for daily outdoor sort of stuff.

That said, I do have one that I got from here:

Vehicle and Product lookup for your Custom Car Covers and Car Accessories

It's the same one S111 sells (Weathershield), but $50 cheaper!

I used to winter storage my car in a large 'public' facility meaning there were lots of other guys with their cars, boats and RVs stored there. I covered it because I didn't want people messing with it and I wanted it protected in case people used the storage area to work on stuff (their cars, sand, cut wood, etc).

Also, my lake house doesn't have a garage to park in so I have to park outside. It's under TONS of trees with NASTY sap and crap, so I throw the cover on overnight when I'm here (I'm here right now). There's a guy on the same street that has an Orange Gallardo Superleggera and he's got a cover on his car too.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Putting a car cover on a unwashed car is worse than leaving it out on its own. You don't want to rub the dirt and debris you collect from driving into the paint. When the car will sit, wash it then cover it.

Another vote for the WeatherShield cover. It's very easy to use, wash, and carry.

The open grills on the hatch are no different than the open under carriage on most cars. Also most subaru's have hood scoops and vents so they get rained on close to as much if not more by counting the amount of exposure.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Another vote for the WeatherShield cover. Agree with rbehny about not putting a cover on a dirty car. I give my car a quick dusting with a Kozak cloth before covering. I spent a little extra and got the green/yellow cover from Sector 111 and it looks really sharp. The cover fits well and packs small enough to take with you (major purchase consideration) and still leave quite a bit of room in the trunk.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts