Premium Member
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Attachments

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
did you use the epoxy that stays a bit flexible for these?
Its more flexible than normal resin, but no where near as flexible as rubber. I make sacrificial line cuts on the inside in case there is every any impact it would break away the part and not damage your fender.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Two questions:
1. What does the other side of the flaps look like?
2. Will you be making more of these?

·
Registered
905 Posts
Mine have a rugged black coating on the back of them. I'll try and post a pic later. Not sure if Gabe is doing that for all of them now or what.

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
When I got mine I also asked Gabe if he can polish the "back side" which is the side that's visible from inside the wheel well.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I'd prefer the black coating only because that side is bound to get shelled by road debris. when polished, does it look really flat? or is that slightly curved?

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,111 Posts
not sure many people drive in the mud with there precious Eliges.....

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
A misnomer from more pedestrian cars, but I think they're for preventing stones from being thrown onto the much wider body work aft of the front wheels.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Here's the pics I took of mine last night. Dremelled off the factory rivets to remove the old ones yesterday but havent installed the new ones
Back with rugged black coating

Front

·
Registered
905 Posts
No problem and you wont be dissapointed!

·
Registered
974 Posts
Gorkoracing,

Did you put in new rivets? I've never used pop rivets before. What size are they and did you just get generic ones from a hardware store? Just want to make sure that reinstalling new ones doesn't crack the fiberglass. Or is it aluminum down there?

·
Registered
974 Posts
Okay, I finally got one mud flap on. Looks good but what a damn PITA! Probably took me about 5 hrs spread over 5 days since I didn't have one big block of free time to dedicate to the install. I hope the other side won't require as much work.

Anyhow, here is some info to help others:
1. I didn't have to remove my wheel but I did have to turn the steering wheel to full lock one way to access half of the holes and then full lock the other way to get to the rest. I used a compact 12v power drill in the cramped quarters.

2. To drill out the OEM rivets, I first used a 3/32" drill bit and then followed it with a 1/8" bit.

3. The holes in my CF mudflap lined up perfectly with the OEM mudflap's, but when I put the CF piece in position on my car, none of them lined up with the holes in the wheel well. I had to carefully slot each hole, one at a time, until everything lined up. This was the most time consuming part.

4. I used aluminum rivets. 3 mm diameter x 9 mm length.

Hope that helps!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts