The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, By the time I get my license and an Elise, I'll have hopefully been looking at an Elise, if not Bought one...But If I went to Lotusgarage.com and bought an Exige Clam and associated "Fixings" I could fit it onto an Elise I hear...However, some people say "At that point just buy an Exige, The cost is still too high" But couldn't someone just switch the clams and bits out and keep both? Like, one for the track, one for DD/Weekend Cruising. I admit it's probably "Too much work" but is it possible?

~Sunny

·
Registered
361 Posts
my question is, if you are already going to buy both, why would you switch the clams around?

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Hey guys, By the time I get my license and an Elise, I'll have hopefully been looking at an Elise, if not Bought one...But If I went to Lotusgarage.com and bought an Exige Clam and associated "Fixings" I could fit it onto an Elise I hear...However, some people say "At that point just buy an Exige, The cost is still too high" But couldn't someone just switch the clams and bits out and keep both? Like, one for the track, one for DD/Weekend Cruising. I admit it's probably "Too much work" but is it possible?

~Sunny
Let me get this straight - you want two clams, one for the track and one for cruising? :huh: Changing the clams is not Lego work, it takes a professional body shop a full day to remove a front clam. Besides, the difference between both clams is 90% cosmetic, I'd just stick to the Exige front clam and Elise rear.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, I meant, If I got an Elise, and wanted an Exige Rear Clam, but to swap out. It seems now like an impractical idea, but idk...I guess it's just better to stick with one or the other...

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Let me get this straight - you want two clams, one for the track and one for cruising? :huh: Changing the clams is not Lego work, it takes a professional body shop a full day to remove a front clam. Besides, the difference between both clams is 90% cosmetic, I'd just stick to the Exige front clam and Elise rear.
I understand it's mostly cosmetic, but I guess the extra downforce was useful (@ 100mph?). Once again, I'm not trying to annoy anyone with a stupid question, I dont have a car yet...I just wanted to know if it's possible to switch out a clam at will, but apparently not. Owners manual Thread says removing the clam looks easy (Maybe Harder than it actually is? :confused:)

·
Registered
279 Posts
Changing the rear clam is not so easy as swapping the front clam!

Should it be such a no-brainer, then everyone could have an Exige for the track and an Elise for the rest of his time on the road! ;)

However, reality is far from such ideas and thoughts! :)

With the help of a German Lotus petrolhead and friend, I've made a whole spreadsheet that shows all the necessary parts for this conversion to be done professionally.

Obviously the spreadsheet doesn't mention anything about professional labour time that is needed for this conversion. This time should be generously multiplied by a generous factor for any of us who are amateur "mechanics" and like to play around with tools and our cars.

The cost only for parts was in 2005 prices in the vicinity of 18.000 euros!!! (and we're talking about a NA Exige and not a SC-ed Exige S!!!)

Also, you have to keep in mind that the clams for the Elise are constructed in a completely different way (injected FG) than the more rigid and heavier hand-laid FG clams of the Exige! ;)

Hope I helped a bit! ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
361 Posts
Ah Thanks then =D Yeah, you did help it's appreciated. Now my next step is to become a Millionaire and Buy an Exige and an Elise :coolnana:
it wont take a million, i'll sell you mine for half of that along with my drivers license.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmm, the 500K Exige, now with free Driver's License! Well, I'd have to be pretty darn rich to afford an Elise/Exige/All the other toys I want, and then have a nice house and get along well in terms of financial Stability. talk to me in 10-15 years, If I have 500K racked up, it's a deal XD

·
Registered
361 Posts
Hmm, the 500K Exige, now with free Driver's License! Well, I'd have to be pretty darn rich to afford an Elise/Exige/All the other toys I want, and then have a nice house and get along well in terms of financial Stability. talk to me in 10-15 years, If I have 500K racked up, it's a deal XD

seeing as how you wont need the license by that time i'll reduce the price by $15.00

1 - 13 of 13 Posts