·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Attachments

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have this fitted to my Exige. If you need to work on the engine, this is the way to go.

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
how do you get around the intercooler coupler, etc? you remove it?

·
Registered
905 Posts
Awesome, hadn't seen this clam hinge until now for the Exige. I may have to get one of these

·
Registered
345 Posts
Looks great.......but, I gotta do it.....I gotta ask.....how is the Aussie-Clamhinge different and/or better then the BOE ClamHinge (which is also available for the Exige)? I'm looking to buy a ClamHinge, so any info would be great.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Looks great.......but, I gotta do it.....I gotta ask.....how is the Aussie-Clamhinge different and/or better then the BOE ClamHinge (which is also available for the Exige)? I'm looking to buy a ClamHinge, so any info would be great.
I designed this a couple of years ago from a fellow Aussie who did one for his Rover engined S2 that has a totally different rear subframe. Just for my Elise.(http://aussieelises.com/index.php?/topic/162-diy-tilt-your-clam/page__hl__clamhinge)
I recently redsigned it for the Exige so that the whole hinge moves forward about 1cm to clear any interferences at the front of the clam when openning or closing. This is also made to allow one to retain all heat shielding and rear panel if wanting to retain the OEM look and not the naked rear end. You can also retain through diffuser silencer and keep the battery in the boot.

·
Registered
905 Posts
A friend with an Exige has the BOE and she said it didnt work well on her car and to get this one over BOE for an Exige.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Wow.....interesting. I didn't know there were any issues with the BOE on an Exige.

Still wish for two items...although it's probably not possible?: 1.) Be able to tilt the (exige) clam by myself and 2.) Eliminate the noise rattles other clamhinge owners discuss due to the limited amount of attachments.

I know it's not doable on a Lotus, but wish the clam could be tilted quickly at a car show without having to pull out a cordless screwdriver and a handful of fasteners. :panic:

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow.....interesting. I didn't know there were any issues with the BOE on an Exige.

Still wish for two items...although it's probably not possible?: 1.) Be able to tilt the (exige) clam by myself and 2.) Eliminate the noise rattles other clamhinge owners discuss due to the limited amount of attachments.

I know it's not doable on a Lotus, but wish the clam could be tilted quickly at a car show without having to pull out a cordless screwdriver and a handful of fasteners. :panic:
Sorry but the Exige clam is just too heavy for a single person lift. There are no more rattles with the clamhinge fitted than before. I have done about 30,000 km with mine and no noise issues at all. I tilted mine at a trackday once and it sure did create a bit of interest.

·
Premium Member
5,633 Posts
Great job!! I need pictures and measurements so i can make my own, I ain't paying no $1K for several small aluminum pieces!! before i go, I need you Pep boys to give a hand :D

·
Carbon Fiber
1,637 Posts
Radium has a clam removal system for 200 bucks. May end up liking it better' I like mine but never had the hinge

·
Premium Member
5,633 Posts
^^ The moon... beautiful
The sun... even more beautiful
Oh yeah... oh yeah... oh yeah

·
Registered
708 Posts
From what I've heard, the Exige clam is far easier to remove, thus less needed compared with an Elise.

I installed the Radium kit on my Elise purely to make removal during the winter a quicker project. There is not a lot of "stuff" in the $200 kit, but there is engineering and figuring out how to do it. That was worth the money to me. When you get right down to it, the Elise kit remounts the engine cover to the clam rather than to the body, eliminates the "through the speakers" bolts and makes access to the "through the rollbar" bolts easy and not requiring removal of half the interior. I did not relocate my battery or trim my fender liners, but did cut the vent trim piece. I would estimate that a removal will now take me 1/2 an hour. When I removed the clam for the kit install, it took me well over 3 hours.

I really like the idea of the hinge but for the BOE hinge, I would have to buy a new exhaust and battery, which would be smaller than I want. I prefer "no fuss" with the car, so run a full sized battery. I can leave it for 2 weeks with no charger and start it right up.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
From what I've heard, the Exige clam is far easier to remove, thus less needed compared with an Elise.

I installed the Radium kit on my Elise purely to make removal during the winter a quicker project. There is not a lot of "stuff" in the $200 kit, but there is engineering and figuring out how to do it. That was worth the money to me. When you get right down to it, the Elise kit remounts the engine cover to the clam rather than to the body, eliminates the "through the speakers" bolts and makes access to the "through the rollbar" bolts easy and not requiring removal of half the interior. I did not relocate my battery or trim my fender liners, but did cut the vent trim piece. I would estimate that a removal will now take me 1/2 an hour. When I removed the clam for the kit install, it took me well over 3 hours.

I really like the idea of the hinge but for the BOE hinge, I would have to buy a new exhaust and battery, which would be smaller than I want. I prefer "no fuss" with the car, so run a full sized battery. I can leave it for 2 weeks with no charger and start it right up.
I agree with what you have done. For about a year I had my clam setup for quick removal like yourself but got sick of having to get my son to carry it indoors. That is when I built my first hinge set, 2 more redesigns and I now have what I want and have about 30 kits with happy Lotus drivers.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What's the difference between an Elise and Exige, isn't it pretty much the same fargen clam?
Most of the attachment points are shared but not all due to the way the bootlid hinges are different. Also the diffuser and rear panels are attached differently. The Elise does not have side scoops to remove while tilting.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts