The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Exige Cup 255 clutch.

2K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  ogravty 
#1 ·
I have a 06 Exige N/A and I am installing a cup 255 engine (engine, inter cooler, supercharger, etc). Are the clutch the same or do I need to upgrade my clutch for the additional HP. My exige only have 11k miles in it. Any help will be appreciated.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#2 ·
I would consider getting a upgraded clutch, unless you just drive your car like it is a garage queen. The stock clutch has worked for me (265 crank HP), but if is pushed it gets unhappy quickly. A rapid power shift can induce slip. So I don't do rapid power shifts.

#3 ·
This is a reasonable power gain still within the limits of the stock clutch. Especially for 11k miles, I'd save the money and replace the clutch only when it needs replacing.

Several of us are tasking our stock clutches with similar hp numbers. I'm around 295 at the crank and my clutch is still happy with spirited driving and occasional track days.

#7 ·
Meant to post earlier.

Given the hassle of changing clutch in these cars, I would not have the engine out and not install a new clutch.

1.5 cents.

#14 ·
the car feels so much more solid with a real performance clutch. I would replace the oem with an ACT HDSS or equivalent, even with a stock motor. The clutch does more than "handle the power". It changes the feel of the car.

#15 ·
The charcoal canister from my 06' is different from the 07' 255 cup. Besides the way they look (one is a rectangular shape and the other one a cylinder), is there any benefit of using the cylindrical one? I am just trying to avoid the hustle of dealing with the connections.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.