The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
'07 Exige S
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

So I have always thought my engine lid never closed quite snug enough, so I loosened the large nut
on the deck lid, screwed the threaded rod (inside the spring) in maybe 1 to 1.5 turns, re-tightened the large nut (which had now moved slightly)
and closed the lid.

Now it is stuck shut!! I had another person pull the cable release while I pulled, pushed (side to side, front to back) on the engine
lid with no success.

The spring must be caught on the steel opening on the rear clam. I am so angry with myself not taking more time to check the alignment more carefully.

Any thoughts? Can the cable be detached from the handle and then pulled maybe allowing the opening to open more?

HELP!!

Thanks,
Henry
'07 Exige S

·
2006 Exige
727 Posts
Have someone pull the lever while you are pushing sideways on the wing end plate towards the passenger side. If that doesn't work try pushing towards the drivers side.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
I've done this before, you just have to release the pressure on the latch before they pull the lever so that it can actually move.

·
Registered
289 Posts
probably the 2 side bolts (which actually control the height of the hatch) is prodding up the tailgate creating upward tension on the latch. latch does not have enough clearance to disengage due to tension.

I would push the hatch down extra hard in the middle just before the wing attaches and same time push sideway toward the passenger side while pulling on the release.
once you get it open, make sure you readjust the striker to 3-9 o'clock and the 2 prod bolts.

Attachments

·
Registered
'07 Exige S
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
An update to my stuck engine lid problem. The lid was really stuck and nothing worked that was suggested.

Thanks to my buddy Ed ('06 Exige)and his son Dan who had a similar problem and knew the fix. Thank you Ed and Dan!!!!!!!

1. Jack up the rear.
2. Remove both wheels and wheel arch liners.
3. Remove the aluminum heat shield in the center that covers the latch mechanism. It is a very tight squeeze. There are three 10mm bolts.
4. Remove heat shield from the car (required pulling the washer fluid bottle up and out of the way) Slide shield out.
5. Using a flashlight and angled 90 degree mirror you can now see the latch mechanism. The rod inside of the spring was turned ninety degrees and catching on the actual latch on the clam.
6. Having three people (one to pull the cable release, one to pull on the engine lid and one to use a long screw driver we were able to push on the center vertical latch shaft just enough.
7. Boom, pop, shazam!!! She opened up.

Once the lid was open reassembly is easy.

I am so relieved that issue has been resolved.

Henry
'07 Exige S

·
Registered
426 Posts
I'm glad you were able to resolve this! I just ran into it after putting my calm/trunk lid back on after doing work to the car. Mine was stuck as well and I felt like I had to do the steps above... But I ended up getting frustrated and moving it side to side while I had someone pull the trunk lever. POP! Worked like a charm. Felt like the latch just wasn't dead center and the honey badger adjustments worked :)

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
Crazy. lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts