The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Excerpts from The Jeremy Clarkson
Top Gear - Oct. 04 issue - Page 121

'Here, there are such boundless levels of grip, that you don't need to slow down at all.'

'And if by some miracle you do exceed the car's capabilities - like you attempt the Loews hairpin @ 120 mph or so, there is just so much feel, it's never even slightly unnerving. There are very few cars that have ever reached these levels of communication and confidence.'

'The Exige then is perfect for the man who wants to go round every corner as fast as is humanly possible. And therefore doesn't mind the narrow power-band situated at the very top of
the rev-range, or the raucous noise, or
the lack of creature comforts.'

'I'd love to congratulate Lotus's chassis team for this but actually, one
of the main reasons you can corner so
quickly is the rubberwear. Its semi-slick Yokohama Advan A048 tires are so grippy that if you fitted them to a Venezuelan ox cart, you could win an F3 race.'

'Me, I like a bit more, which is why, all
things considered, I still prefer the Elise. Because when all is said and done, the roof comes off.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
There are few cars at track days that can stay with me through the corners when I'm "on". And this is on the 48's. The car is way better than I am, that is for sure. I can't wait until next season when I fit the full Yoko slicks!!

It takes time to learn these high limits.

Another thing to get used to is braking. Braking is done much later than most cars and therefore, downshifting has to be done faster and with more precision - no time for slow shifts or missing the gate.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
At Gingerman last weekend?

Yes - 40 degrees on 48's can be interesting.

Thankfully, as I said - the car is way better than I am, so I don't look so bad. :bow: :p :cool:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts