The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An opportunity has presented itself that I can acquire a 997.2 GT3 (not the RS).
The exige has been used mostly street and maybe about 5 track sessions(not days)totalling about 10 hrs at most. However, having said that, the 2 years I've owned this car, I've only driven about 3k KM(About 1900 miles)
If I do acquire the Porsche, it would be driven the same amount with the same amount of track time.
I still love how the exige looks and feels every time I drive it. The reactions and interactions on the street are great(most of the time, except when im in a rush) However since I don't have time to take it on the track as often as I like, I feel like I'm wasting all that track potential. Let's face it, as much as I love to drive the exige, driving on the street, and to and from the track can be arduous sometimes.
So for the GT3, as far as I can tell, is almost as track oriented as the exige, but with a little more creature comforts making street driving and treks to and from the track a little more comfortable. However, a Porsche is a Porsche is a Porsche. To the general public they're just all 911's. Look wise the exige wins hands down.
Finally, as with most car guys, there's that itch of a new car after owning something for a few years. Can't decide if I should scratch that itch!?
Talk me into or out of it! I need some major car therapy:confused:

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Heck yeah that's an upgrade if you can afford it. The GT3 is a better street car and at least as capable as the Exige. The track consumables will be MUCH more expensive though.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Heck yeah that's an upgrade if you can afford it. The GT3 is a better street car and at least as capable as the Exige. The track consumables will be MUCH more expensive though.
Track consumables definitely are much more expensive. But given the amount of track time I will put on either car, I don't think it'll be a major factor.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Remember it is a different beast - you will have to change your driving style :)

Rear vs Mid
I doubt it will be that big of a change the Elise engine is mid but still behind the driver, not like the midship design of the S2000 which is still in the front of the car but behind the shock towers.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I have not owned an Exige but did have an Elise, and a 997 GT3, hands down the GT3 was the more exciting track car and as you point out, on the street a far superior car. the one issue I have with the GT3 as a track car is this; it is so capable and so fast that it is scary. The acceleration is addictive, I always felt the GT3 was more stable in turns than the Elise, and to have torque and a top end is fantastic. But here is the rub, the car is so capable, so fast, and so close to a cup car, and... no cage, no fire system, no harnesses, no race seat, just a helmet. I know you don't have to go 10/10ths but you will find yourself going 150+ in a GT3 and what happens if the unexpected happens? Tire fails, brakes fail, someone in front makes a dumb move? You can really go fast, I mean unlike most any street legal car in a GT3, you should really have a full race set up for a car like this.
Hey maybe that is true with any car you drive on the track but I found myself going so fast in the GT3, I decided if I was going to drive like this I would buy a full on race car, or drive something a little less ballistic.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I decided if I was going to drive like this I would buy a full on race car, or drive something a little less ballistic.
Been there, done that. Bought a well used SCCA IT car and had a blast in it. When I put it into a tire wall, due to a brake line failure, my only concern was getting a replacement line. The bumper that went flying....who cares? The dent.....what dent? Do that with a GT-3?

I would love a GT-3 myself. The cost of entry and cost to maintain stop me. I put about 5k miles a year on my Elise. Drove it to work today.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Remember it is a different beast - you will have to change your driving style :)

Rear vs Mid
I have a 97.2 RS and race an Elise.

The handling of the cars is remarkably similar, the main difference in track driving is more to do with the power, in the Elise you have carry the speed through the corner where as in the Porsche it's often about setting it up for the exit. The Porsche feels like a big car in comparison but you soon get used to that.

As other have said the cost of consumables is scary, if you leave traction control on it will each through rear pads, I normally get three track days to a set of tyres which are three times the cost of Elise S1 tyres.

The interior of the Porsche is quite refined but I have a track setup on mine which does detract from the road manners, the only time I drive my car is to and from a track and even that is not very often these days. I think every petrol head should own a GT3 at some point, you really can't beat the howl of the engine at 8,400 rpm.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Keep the Exige, it would be a waste of money to buy a new car given the low mileage you put on them, they still depreciate and the Exige will hold its value better. Moreover, trackdays in the Porsche are expensive, as others said. Pads, tires, brake fluid etc. And the Porshe, although highly capable, drives different. Slower mid-corner but earlier on the throttle on corner exit.

·
Registered
81 Posts
If depriciation is any issue - keep the exige! The loss in value will be significant when the 991 GT 3 will pe presented (like all water cooled Porsches. 996,997, 991 in the future) They are producing that much of them that the second and third hand market ist not large enough to keep up with the amount. Since the 911 gets water-cooled the former type looks aged when the "new" one go on stage (996 to 997 esp.) That effect - in my opinion - will be more significant in the future with the integration of Porsche in VAG. The Exige will never look "aged" because it has a special personality compared to the Porsche!

·
Registered
140 Posts
I went from a 911 to an Exige S260. Ya the GT3 is a bit quicker around a track but in my opinion the Exige is way more fun. That being said if I ever decided to get rid of my Exige a GT3 would be the only other car for me. And let's face it. You can't go wrong with either car. The question is which car do you really want???

·
Registered
9 Posts
2010 GT3 replaced with 2011 Exige S240. Hard to describe but the Exige is just way more fun to drive both on and off the track. Still own GT3 Cup for real racing.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone for their input!
After test driving it, I have to say it was a very hard decision. However, I chose to stick with the Exige. Very similar in terms of rawness, but at the end, the Exige just looks so much better and is just more fun(and also costs much less to maintain for both street and track).
With the new 991 GT3 coming out soon, I may revisit the idea in a few years but for now, the Exige is staying.

·
I Have Commitment Issues
2,911 Posts
I went the other way. I had 2 Elises and an Exige then I test drove a 996 GT3. I couldnt get over the raw power and the responsiveness in handling. I now own one, I think you should test drive a 996 GT3 and see what you think. Its a more barebones than the 997. The 997 GT3 is more of a track car with amenities unless you go with the RS then its the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
I have not owned an Exige but did have an Elise, and a 997 GT3, hands down the GT3 was the more exciting track car and as you point out, on the street a far superior car. the one issue I have with the GT3 as a track car is this; it is so capable and so fast that it is scary. The acceleration is addictive, I always felt the GT3 was more stable in turns than the Elise, and to have torque and a top end is fantastic. But here is the rub, the car is so capable, so fast, and so close to a cup car, and... no cage, no fire system, no harnesses, no race seat, just a helmet. I know you don't have to go 10/10ths but you will find yourself going 150+ in a GT3 and what happens if the unexpected happens? Tire fails, brakes fail, someone in front makes a dumb move? You can really go fast, I mean unlike most any street legal car in a GT3, you should really have a full race set up for a car like this.
Hey maybe that is true with any car you drive on the track but I found myself going so fast in the GT3, I decided if I was going to drive like this I would buy a full on race car, or drive something a little less ballistic.
Get an Exige & GT3RS 3.8, then you can have both, plus the cage, 6 point & fire system. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts