The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know the difference between a UK/EURO gas tank, from a FEDERAL/US gas tank on the S2 exige.

I want to get a bigger tank, but the one that i have found, say that it only fits UK/EURO cars, and not FEDERAL/US.

I live in Norway, but my exige is a US import, so it is easyer for me to get parts from the UK.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I know the capacities are different at least on pre-airbag 2006 UK Exige S I had (US 2006 model had higher capacity, mine was 9.6 gallons IIRC from the manual). I was told one of the changes to Federalize it was the fuel tank sorry I can't be of help on how the mounting works though.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I put a larger tank in my Federal S2 Exige- here's a link to which one I chose and how I installed it:

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f157/new-fuel-tank-exige-install-122201/

Hope that is helpful!
Thank you.

I have been in contact with elise part regarding a new tank, and the answer i got from them regarding the differense between UK/FEDERAL was this

"The UK & Federal cars use a fuel tank of the same physical overall size, however the Federal cars are fitted with a lot of additional emissions control hardware. For this reason the Federal tank has some additional connections on the top face and also uses a different fuel filler assembly and hose which results in the filler hose connection on the top of the tank being a different size. If have attached a couple of drawings which show the differences between the UK and Federal spec tanks and filler assemblies.

Our long range or endurance spec tanks can be fitted into the Federal cars, however, the emission control equipment will need to be discarded and the filler assembly will need to be either modified or changed to a Euro spec filler assembly."

What did you do with this emissions control hardware?

I recon that tis is the "hump" on the top of the old tank, with the hose on it

·
Registered
119 Posts
That all sounds correct-

IIRC, that hose from the hump on the stock tank goes to the charcoal canister. (So when you fill your tank, the air that gets pushed out of the tank goes through the cannister, and the gas vapor gets trapped, and eventually pulled back into the tank.)

The Larger tank pictured above has a secondary, smaller pipe near the main fill opening, and so I reconnected the charcoal canister hose to that. I think it should work about the same (and be OK for emissions.)

I did have to make an adapter to use my stock filler neck- but that was nothing more than a 2" long section of hose clamped over the neck end to make it the correct diameter for the new filler hose to go over. (I later did install the Euro fill neck & gas cap- but that required a custom bracket to fit with my Federal fuel door. I've got a thread for building that here: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f157/fuel-filler-neck-upgrade-194706/ )

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That all sounds correct-

IIRC, that hose from the hump on the stock tank goes to the charcoal canister. (So when you fill your tank, the air that gets pushed out of the tank goes through the cannister, and the gas vapor gets trapped, and eventually pulled back into the tank.)

The Larger tank pictured above has a secondary, smaller pipe near the main fill opening, and so I reconnected the charcoal canister hose to that. I think it should work about the same (and be OK for emissions.)

I did have to make an adapter to use my stock filler neck- but that was nothing more than a 2" long section of hose clamped over the neck end to make it the correct diameter for the new filler hose to go over. (I later did install the Euro fill neck & gas cap- but that required a custom bracket to fit with my Federal fuel door. I've got a thread for building that here: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f157/fuel-filler-neck-upgrade-194706/ )
Great, thanks again.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That all sounds correct-

Another question, what did you do with the small hose that comes out from the top of the fuel pump, and goes back into the tank again, it do not look like there is a connection for that on the new tank?

·
Registered
255 Posts
I have the same question as above. Do you just plug it? Thanks Felgacarb - your writeup has been really helpful to get me to this point :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
If I recall correctly, I did just plug it. I'll look back though the photos I took and post again if that isn't true...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts