The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately when sitting at idle I've been hearing a rattling sound coming from directly behind the rear window... the frequency matched the visual vibration of the hatch perfectly, so that was a big hint. When I opened the hatch it went away as well, and when I cleaned the inner rim of the hatch, I noticed scuff marks where it's been rubbing against the black weatherstripping on the clam.

Everything is tight, all body lines are aligned, etc. TADTS

So, I put two pieces of weatherstripping tape on the hatch directly over the scuff marks... see the photo below for the location of the left side tape. Notice that after one hour of driving you can see where the clam's black weatherstripping contacts the white weatherstripping I've just added.

Ahhh, quiet (well at least from the hatch).

Attachments

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
Hmmm... another trick would be to pull the edge finisher (it's just slipped on) and take the edge down a bit with a file/Dremel/etc.

Mine wore through the finisher before I adjusted it. Note that if you have to order the finisher material, you need to specify the length - the default length it comes in is too short to make it all the way around the opening and we found out the hard way.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm... another trick would be to pull the edge finisher (it's just slipped on) and take the edge down a bit with a file/Dremel/etc.

Mine wore through the finisher before I adjusted it. Note that if you have to order the finisher material, you need to specify the length - the default length it comes in is too short to make it all the way around the opening and we found out the hard way.
I didn't realize its just slipped on... I've had bad experiences testing things to see how strongly they're bonded together :wallbang:

It seems that my ECU is slightly lowering the idle revs over time... it's hitting a resonant frequency of the hatch, and the amplitude at the edges is over 1/4"... I thought dampening that vibration would be better for the hinges, fixtures, etc. than letting it "ring".

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
It seems that my ECU is slightly lowering the idle revs over time... it's hitting a resonant frequency of the hatch, and the amplitude at the edges is over 1/4"... I thought dampening that vibration would be better for the hinges, fixtures, etc. than letting it "ring".
Wow... mine doesn't move (N/A car). I had to adjust the standoffs on the bottom of mine to get the bottom and lower edges lined up better and keep it from rubbing in a high spot on the lower right side. Rather than just latch, it takes a slight amount of pressure now to engage the latch and the whole hatch seems more solid when shut.

Opening it is another story though - there's a lot of play in the hinges so I could see how the top could vibrate quite a bit, even when shut.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow... mine doesn't move (N/A car). I had to adjust the standoffs on the bottom of mine to get the bottom and lower edges lined up better and keep it from rubbing in a high spot on the lower right side. Rather than just latch, it takes a slight amount of pressure now to engage the latch and the whole hatch seems more solid when shut.

Opening it is another story though - there's a lot of play in the hinges so I could see how the top could vibrate quite a bit, even when shut.
That would explain why my hatch vibrates more... my hatch needs almost no pressure to close and the spring in the striker may be making the whole assembly more resonant. The body line isn't very critical on the hatch (since the gap is so large), so I'm going to try to shorten the standoffs a bit to see it that reduces the vibration :up:

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
I think you might want to try lengthening them a tad, if I'm understanding that bit about the spring right.
:)

Ahhh... the joys of a hand built car made of manually laid fiberglass.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think you might want to try lengthening them a tad, if I'm understanding that bit about the spring right.
:)

Ahhh... the joys of a hand built car made of manually laid fiberglass.
Yes, right... :wallbang: I was thinking that if I shortened the standoffs and the striker pin, it would put the spring under more compression when the hatch is closed. Just lengthening the standoffs is much easier.

I lengthened each side until the hatch wouldn't close with moderate pressure, then shortened them about one turn each. The bottom of the hatch does feel more firmly latched... a test drive tomorrow should tell more.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Yes, right... :wallbang: I was thinking that if I shortened the standoffs and the striker pin, it would put the spring under more compression when the hatch is closed. Just lengthening the standoffs is much easier.

I lengthened each side until the hatch wouldn't close with moderate pressure, then shortened them about one turn each. The bottom of the hatch does feel more firmly latched... a test drive tomorrow should tell more.
How'd it come out? My hatch has a rattle when I hit bumps. The car arrived with the passenger-side striker much higher than the driver-side striker. It's fine otherwise, but on a big bump or pothole (unavoidable around here) it definitely lets off a big clunk.

Of course, today was my first drive in my new baby, so some of these things I hear may be normal for such a lightweight car.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How'd it come out? My hatch has a rattle when I hit bumps. The car arrived with the passenger-side striker much higher than the driver-side striker. It's fine otherwise, but on a big bump or pothole (unavoidable around here) it definitely lets off a big clunk.

Of course, today was my first drive in my new baby, so some of these things I hear may be normal for such a lightweight car.
The weatherstripping stopped the rattle, and I haven't removed it because even without the vibration issue there seems to be a wear/contact issue in that area anyway (at least both I and codymac have noticed it).

That said, the hatch seems tighter, closes with a more satisfying "clunk", and makes no noise now at all. All you need is a 10mm open end wrench to loosen the lock nut and adjust the height of the standoffs.

BTW, congrats on the "new baby"

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
yep, i had this rattle start also this week. As soon as I fired up the car i heard a rattle right behind me, but couldn't find where it was coming from. I'll checks my lids. thanks!

·
Registered
749 Posts
Is there a summary of normal rattles and shakes vs abnormal ones for us noobs? I have searched and the rattle discussions are widely spread and difficult to search.

My car is fairly silent on smooth or even mildly roughened roads. But on bumps, eneven separations, or potholes I do get a good shake or rattle.

I extended the posts on my hatch (one was screwed almost completely into the cover!) and that seems to have remedied most of the engine cover shake.

I assume though that with a car this lightweight there are bound to be a few shakes and rattles over the bumps.

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
Is there a summary of normal rattles and shakes vs abnormal ones for us noobs? I have searched and the rattle discussions are widely spread and difficult to search.

My car is fairly silent on smooth or even mildly roughened roads. But on bumps, eneven separations, or potholes I do get a good shake or rattle.

I extended the posts on my hatch (one was screwed almost completely into the cover!) and that seems to have remedied most of the engine cover shake.

I assume though that with a car this lightweight there are bound to be a few shakes and rattles over the bumps.
i think you'll find that in the uberpost.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts