The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

I’ve had an interesting week, rekindling my obsession for getting an Exige, but frustrating….
Autotempest general Lotus search —> 2007 Exige S at Rolls Royce of Raleigh.

Car is listed at $83,488, only 4245 Miles, looks pretty stock, I’m interested - but not paying that much!
Search the VIN and things got confusing:
  • Single owner for the first 10 years, 3000 miles (I don’t understand not driving a car), duplicate title…
  • Sold in 2018, then came into possession of CNC motors, saw that it was advertised everywhere and listed for auction but never sold, was still in CNC’s possession until Oct.
  • Researched CNC motors, and even saw the car on some YouTuber’s walkthrough, which made me suspect for this car’s pedigree.
-Contacted RR of Raleigh, got a reply from a sales rep who doesn’t bother to check spelling or use punctuation. (Kids these days…). Asked some basic questions about clams and usage history, and where they got it from auction. “California Auction, Muririeta”…. Only auto auction in Muririeta that I could find was CARMAX!
*How did this car go from CNC motors to CARMAX during a federal investigation? I’ve foisted a car on CARMAX, I know they’ll take anything and if they can’t warranty it they’ll auction it off…
-Rolls Royce sales Rep brought my offer to the GM, and the reply was that the car is “priced to sell” and wouldn’t negotiate. I researched a little more and found out this RR dealership is part of a Westgate conglomerate in Raleigh. And the car is being sold by the Mitsubishi dealership, reviews are not good. Instead of what I’m used to at high end dealerships, I started to get the cheap sales lot feeling. I explained my understanding of the car, and what I had learned through just a little research.

Bottomline is this car is listed $25k above KBB, above anything I’ve seen on LT, and in the hands of people who are going to white knuckle hold on to their delusions. My guess is that they picked it up at Auction for $40-45k. Now I’m in the chase for an Exige, and I have to get my 10 posts in and wait three days. I’m hopeful Enotria is waiting for me to PM with an offer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You think thats high? What about an Elise for $70K at Lotus of Charlotte.
Ive dealt with RR of Raleigh parts/service department and they are also extremely unhelpful. Didnt want to provide me part numbers on a $86,000 parts quote for a car I was repairing. At first they didnt even want to give me an itemized breakdown of what I was paying for. Some of these small luxury dealers have their head so far up their ass because of the kind of cars they sell.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Based off of everything that I read, I completely believe you. It’s amateur hour. I’m SO glad that I moved away from North Carolina. People are nice but their work ethic sucks.

·
Administrator
8,335 Posts
A better indicator of current pricing to is go to BaT and look at the past year in results for the model you're interested in. Same with looking at sold on LT.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Yeah, I saw this, but I'm sure you did too. I think it didn't meet reserve as it was a "low point" value-wise for the cars.... I don't think CNC/Lotus of Upland had ruined its reputation at that point.

I ALSO agree with above that KBB is useless on these right now. If the title is clean, I would think there would be a line to get this at $65K, but yeah.. not the 83 K.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Totally dont understand the point of putting so much effort into a post when in the first sentence you say....

I’m interested - but not paying that much!

My advice for you is to wait until you find a car at KBB value ;)

Your ramblings about the car being at this dealership or sold at "x" auction are idiotic. Sorry. Car has a clear title or it does not. And...if a dealer conveys a car to you that does not, the law still sides with the purchaser since they bought the car in good faith.

Who cares if it went though an auction at, CarMax or Toys-r-us? Buck up and spend to do a good PPI and then the car is what it is. Or just post random whining threads about cars you are never going to buy anyway...

If you really are serious about buying a car, I have found that sending over proof of funds BEFORE I start asking questions is a great way to let the dealers know you are not a tire kicker.

Think of the amount of calls they get (just like yours by the way) from people who already know they are not going to buy the car but are wasting their time. Think about that one.... really.

Good luck in your car shopping goals of 2022....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Totally dont understand the point of putting so much effort into a post when in the first sentence you say....

My advice for you is to wait until you find a car at KBB value ;)

Your ramblings about the car being at this dealership or sold at "x" auction are idiotic. Sorry. Car has a clear title or it does not. And...if a dealer conveys a car to you that does not, the law still sides with the purchaser since they bought the car in good faith.

Who cares if it went though an auction at, CarMax or Toys-r-us? Buck up and spend to do a good PPI and then the car is what it is. Or just post random whining threads about cars you are never going to buy anyway...

If you really are serious about buying a car, I have found that sending over proof of funds BEFORE I start asking questions is a great way to let the dealers know you are not a tire kicker.

Think of the amount of calls they get (just like yours by the way) from people who already know they are not going to buy the car but are wasting their time. Think about that one.... really.

Good luck in your car shopping goals of 2022....
Agreed, I would buy the car and if they negotiated I would be down there tomorrow. My goal was to get to a reasonable purchase price, and I did share my proof of funds. Really, this was just a post to hit my 10 in order to properly engage on the LT marketplace. I’m tracking that KBB is a limited too and definitely not a rule. Sorry for the whining, I was really just trying to tell a story….

·
Registered
52 Posts
Are we talking about CNC motors in the LA area? That one went down the rabbit-hole of fraud. That doesn't mean the cars don't exist, but you legitimately would need to ensure that the entity selling you the car legitimately owns the car and the previous owner has been actually paid. You don't want to buy a car and have a court tell you to give it back to the true owner.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts