The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow, not a big thing to me thankfully but thought I would share:

I usually have 4 to 6 cars in my policy, classified as a safe driver, over 40 no accidents and living in a friendly zip code.

Somehow the insurance for my measly 07 Exige is almost 300% higher than either one of my SRT10 Viper, '06 Lambo G, '06 M6 and '07 GT3.

Actually the increase was 4x the rate of my daily driver, an E92 M3.

Just curious as to why so much.

·
Registered
101 Posts

I usually have 4 to 6 cars in my policy, classified as a safe driver, over 40 no accidents and living in a friendly zip code.

Somehow the insurance for my measly 07 Exige is almost 300% higher than either one of my SRT10 Viper, '06 Lambo G, '06 M6 and '07 GT3.

:shrug: 29 - Safe Driver - 05 Elise - Only Car On Policy - Under $840 a year.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Because the two main body parts to an Exige usually aren't repaired, but replaced, and each time it costs 10k.

Search and ye shall find. To be honest though, most don't really pay anything too extravagant.

·
Registered
6,923 Posts
2nd car. First car and house on policy. Unlimited mileage, extended coverage for liability. <$600 per year.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts

What company writes your insurance? It's entirely possible that they don't have a rating symbol and are writing it as stated amount, which is higher since the risk profile could literally be anything.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Your getting screwed. Most are people here are paying next to nothing to insure these cars.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
RQ_GT3, I pay $1,100 per year for State Farm for my '06 Exige, which is just 10% more than the annual premiums for each of my daily drivers...Audi A6 and Audi Allroad. That reflects a 50 year old primary driver, beach area zip code in greater Los Angeles, no accidents, 5 car discount, multi-product discount (house, cars, earthquake, umbrella, etc.).

While that there are a number of other factors that could influence the cost of your insurance, on the surface it seems that you are paying a bit much for your Lotus coverage given your stable of cars.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Look at Hagerty Collector Car Insurance.

I pay $700/year for my Elise. It is the only car on the policy. The coverage is better than what I have on my GMC Sierra 4x4 with another company.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What company writes your insurance? It's entirely possible that they don't have a rating symbol and are writing it as stated amount, which is higher since the risk profile could literally be anything.
Thanks for the replies folks.

Actually the above makes a lot of sense because my agent called me to ask how much the car was worth, which she has never asked before. I'll look into that.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
What state are you in?

I pay about $800 a year with Wawanesa, who had the best price I could find (by quite a bit).

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
$682 a year, but my deductibles are high (I can do bodywork), it's the 2nd car on the policy, and I also have my home-owners insurance there.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
$1211/year for a 2007 Exige S, insured for sticker price, $2000 deductable, $500k liability... 3 other cars insured under the same carrier, plus home, apartment and umbrella policies.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
In case this helps someone else, IceDog was right on the money with the rating symbol.

My agent got back to me today and the policy went down to almost half by switching from my regular carrier to another national one, putting it at about $1k / year which is right in line with expectations.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
In case this helps someone else, IceDog was right on the money with the rating symbol.

My agent got back to me today and the policy went down to almost half by switching from my regular carrier to another national one, putting it at about $1k / year which is right in line with expectations.
Glad I could help! :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am a 24 y.o. male with 3 tickets on my record and my 06' exige is only 720 for 6 months to insure through progressive (and I live in NY). My 95' Rt/10 is about twice that. I was told that it cost so much because there is no airbags. However, my 03' bmw 325i is only 9 dollars less a month than the exige! So, I dont know what the hell they are doing at progressive but the exige is cheap for me.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Prices have gone up over the years as more kids buy these more kids crash them, it was real bad in 2007 there was a crash posted ever week, most were getting totaled , so it is catching up now...

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
3 cars: $1100/year

98 4Runner - Daily Driver Liability only
05 Mercedes ML350 - Pleasure Full Coverage $500 ded
07 Exige - Pleasure Full Coverage $500 ded

Wawa

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
UPDATE

WILL BE CANCELLING WAWANESA BASED ON THE HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE IN MY FIRST CLAIM OF 13 YEARS WITH THEM. PLEASE BE AWARE THAT YOU MAY END UP PAYING DEARLY AS THEY DO NOT CONSIDER OUR VEHICLES ANY DIFFERENT THAN YOUR TYPICAL COROLLA.

3 cars: $1100/year

98 4Runner - Daily Driver Liability only
05 Mercedes ML350 - Pleasure Full Coverage $500 ded
07 Exige - Pleasure Full Coverage $500 ded

Wawa

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Its crazy reading these threads just a few months old and how much insurance agencies have already changed on these cars.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts