The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of good options for Exige luggage. I see BWR has a duffle for the Elise but, I am not sure if it will fit the trunk opening on the Exige. I am looking for something suitable for weekend road trips.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I have taken several overnight solo trips in my Exige as well as an 800 mile, two night driving tour with my wife.

We packed our clothing in soft bags (gym bags) that were narrow enough to fit through the trunk opening. The trunk can hold a suprising amount of stuff if the nooks and crannies and vertical space are fully exploited. For example, small items like shoes (wrapped in plastic bags), shaving kit, etc. went into the far corners of the trunk. Stuff that we might want to get to quickly was placed in the center below the opening.

The key is to be very Lotus-like in your packing tecnique... plan your wardrobe so you only pack what will be used, and pack items in containers (gym bags, plastic bags) that are flexible, lightweight, and not bulky.

We have a S111 bootie, which is great for organizing the trunk when driving around town. If you have one, I recommend that you remove it for a road trip. It is bulky, and its shape and dividers really limit packing flexibility for a road trip. Your trunk will end up so tightly packed that nothing will shift around, anyway.

Lastly, we found the Exige to be surprisingly civil and comfortable for our weekend tour.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I have taken several overnight solo trips in my Exige as well as an 800 mile, two night driving tour with my wife.

We packed our clothing in soft bags (gym bags) that were narrow enough to fit through the trunk opening. The trunk can hold a suprising amount of stuff if the nooks and crannies and vertical space are fully exploited. For example, small items like shoes (wrapped in plastic bags), shaving kit, etc. went into the far corners of the trunk. Stuff that we might want to get to quickly was placed in the center below the opening.

The key is to be very Lotus-like in your packing tecnique... plan your wardrobe so you only pack what will be used, and pack items in containers (gym bags, plastic bags) that are flexible, lightweight, and not bulky.

We have a S111 bootie, which is great for organizing the trunk when driving around town. If you have one, I recommend that you remove it for a road trip. It is bulky, and its shape and dividers really limit packing flexibility for a road trip. Your trunk will end up so tightly packed that nothing will shift around, anyway.

Lastly, we found the Exige to be surprisingly civil and comfortable for our weekend tour.
Trunk has enough room for 2 people to spend a week at the lake - and my wife has long hair (that = more hair stuff to pack).

You can get probably 3 good size duffel bags back there plus her shoes and a couple bottles of sauce. If she can't pack for a week with 2 duffel bags, then she is either (1)Too high maintenance; or (2) wearing too much clothing. If you can't live a week on 1 duffel bag, then turn in your balls.

What will kill trunk space is hard items that dont' conform to the curves/nooks of the trunk. Also helps tremendously to store the soft top on the back shelf (behind the driver). Yes it fits. Yes the seat will still go all the say back.

Side note:
I've always thought a battery relocation would turn the trunk into a great cooler (need lots of ice as it would melt fast, but how cool would it be?

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I mainly want luggage to pack for the Monterey road trip in August. I made this trip in the Elise and definitely could not pack any excess. It does work! At that time I had the Sector 111 luggage set which I sold before purchasing the Exige and they no longer sell.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
I use this and love it. The bag has two collapsible padded dividers. Nothing medal on the outside to scratch the deck while putting it in. The outside is padded to protect everything. Really a perfect size

Eagle Creek ORV Gear Bag
Yes, but keep in mind the difference between the boot opening in the Elise vs. that in the Exige. I love my BWR duffel, but I'm not sure that fully packed it would fit through the Exige boot opening. I barely fit it into the Elise for this trip.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Yes, but keep in mind the difference between the boot opening in the Elise vs. that in the Exige. I love my BWR duffel, but I'm not sure that fully packed it would fit through the Exige boot opening. I barely fit it into the Elise for this trip.
You're right Alan. I forgot the size difference between the cars. You should be able to try it out and return it if it doesn't fit. BWRs bag is a pretty sweet bag too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts