The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking since the visibility out the back of an exige is pretty much... And allot of people remove their rear view mirrors, why not shed a few pounts a remove the glass panel and replace with a CF one? Should be good for a couple pounds? :shrug:

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
I was thinking since the visibility out the back of an exige is pretty much... And allot of people remove their rear view mirrors, why not shed a few pounts a remove the glass panel and replace with a CF one? Should be good for a couple pounds? :shrug:
this is either the worst idea of march 2008, or i'm really misunderstanding your concept.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I believe he means the back glass behind the driver that serves as a window to the engine bay and nothing else.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Thats what he means. I dont think its a bad idea at all.

Mine stays dirty so far. And i have no clue how im supposed to clean it.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Depends on which Exige. In the 2006 NA version, you can actually see out the rear a little. In the 2007+, the rear window is just there so you can be sure the engine hasn't fallen out.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
In my 07 Exige, it only serves as a window to the engine, which is sometimes fun to show a new passenger. Other than that, it just serves as a sound barrier. Mine is double-paned, and has been dirty between the panes since new - the factory did not take great care in cleaning the two panes before sandwiching them together.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
i misunderstood the concept. i was thinking that he was going to leave the stock rearview mirror housing, remove the glass and insert CF in its place. my worst case, was that he was talking about the sideview mirrors. -eek-
The ultimate performance mod! rotfl

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That would save an entire gram yo!

But really, you guys ought to check in to this and see just how much that window weighs... bet you can shave some weight and its flat you you can get a cf flat panel I see everywhere and cut it to size.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am sure this is not "legal" but the thing is... You can really see in the back of the car anyway, so no one will know unless they come up to the front of the car. I don't think you will be bothered about it even if you get pulled over. You guys need to get one of those damned RV rear view cameras, I bet you could set one up that does not weigh much at all. I have seen those little micro camera's that have awesome resolution, then replace your deck with a unit that has an S-video input and output and hook a small screen up to it. This can be used for a rear view mirror (That works) and as an added bonus you can watch a movie (please don't do this while driving) or even display other information.
I saw someone here was working on some kind of race data display that would work wonderfully for such a system.

Anyhow back to the CF pannel,

Pros:

Less weight.
Looks cool.

Cons:

Loud. Even if you get it sealed in like the glass was.
No visibility. Not that big of a con all things considered.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Assuming There is a significant Weight drop, and there was such a "Kit" that was very well made and looked good (Prepreg CF) Would there be a significant amount of people interested in purchasing? I don't even own an exige, but if people would commit to this I will build the templates and molds and bust some out. The main factor is the double pain window, in order to drop significant weight I need to cast thin aluminum edges that would fit around the CF panel. This probably wont be real cheap and will be a lot of work to do right so I just want to see if there is any actual interest.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Actually I think it is legal. At least in TX and LA. You can wall off your back seats with speakers, buy a cargo van with full metal doors, spray paint your back glass. All is legal, but removing the rear view mirror is not. It has to be there no matter if you can see out the back or not. I belive you must have the rear view mirror and at least one side mirror for the US.

Not sure if that is a 50 state law or not, too lazy to go look. :)

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Depends on which Exige. In the 2006 NA version, you can actually see out the rear a little. In the 2007+, the rear window is just there so you can be sure the engine hasn't fallen out.
rotfl

I like to see the engine, once in a while. ;)

Years ago, while carpooling with a friend of mine who drove a VW squareback, the engine did fall out. Lots of scraping/dragging sounds...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts