The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
From CAR Magazine (2/04):
Lotus is about to kick out the Rover K-engine for Toyota's banzai 1.8-litre
four, showcasing the new engine in another raw-as-sushi Exige. Why, the old guard will cry? The VVT-i is barely torquier
and only spills real guts within a Rizla of the red line. however, the engine should prove more reliable, and crucially it won't be turned away at Elis Island by US customs, allowing the Elise a crack at the lucrative American market in 2004 and beyond. Back in the UK, only Exiges (not the Elise) will run the 190bhp Toyota unit.
But is the Exige-due on sale around March-getting middle aged, what with anti-lock brakes standard and air-con on the options list? No chance. With the engine revving in your left ear, a promised 0-60mph demolition in less than 5 seconds and a bodykit required to generate 8okg of downforce at 100mph, you won't be accusing the Exige of going soft. It should provide one of the most exhilarating drives of 2004. The Facts:
Price - 33,500 pounds
Engine - 190bhp 1.8-litre 4
Performance - 4.7 sec 0-62mph
140mph (est)
On Sale in UK: March
Note: New Exige spotted on test reveals revised bodykit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,802 Posts
Car's got part of that wrong, if the Toyota 190 hp engine is only going in the exige, what Toyota engine have they got in the 111R that's in the dealerships in UK now?
Chris
PS> What the hell is a rizla???:p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
648 Posts
Rizla is cigarette paper...

The Redline issue can make it a pain to drive on the roads. K-series cars will be in the power zone alot quicker on the road I think. This new engine seem to answer all the track issues though.
 

·
insert clever title here
Joined
·
7,702 Posts
tonyyoshi said:
The Redline issue can make it a pain to drive on the roads. K-series cars will be in the power zone alot quicker on the road I think. This new engine seem to answer all the track issues though.
Actually, I think I heard that the power, or at least the driveability, of the Toyota engine at lower rpms is similar to the Rover, you just get the added boost at high rpms.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,114 Posts
Ridgemanron said:
From CAR Magazine (2/04):
But is the Exige-due on sale around March-getting middle aged, what with anti-lock brakes standard and air-con on the options list? No chance. With the engine revving in your left ear, a promised 0-60mph demolition in less than 5 seconds and a bodykit required to generate 8okg of downforce at 100mph, you won't be accusing the Exige of going soft. It should provide one of the most exhilarating drives of 2004. The Facts:
Price - 33,500 pounds

Well,

I was close on the price when I said around $60,000 US. According to the latest exchange rates 33,500 pounds = $58,960 US dollars. I assume that is the base price, now add options and your well over the 60K mark.

Best Wishes,
Mitch
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
The actual price in the UK of the Exige is £29,995 - This is a base car without aircon.

You can then get two packs, Touring pack with carpets, alcantara and DAB radio. Sports pack with harnesses and carbon fibre "effect" trim tat.

My local dealer seems to think they will have theirs in 3 weeks...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,114 Posts
RichB said:
The actual price in the UK of the Exige is £29,995 - This is a base car without aircon.

You can then get two packs, Touring pack with carpets, alcantara and DAB radio. Sports pack with harnesses and carbon fibre "effect" trim tat.

My local dealer seems to think they will have theirs in 3 weeks...
Rich,

What would you say a price for a fully loaded new Exige would run in the UK??

Mitch
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,114 Posts
RichB said:
I'd say £33,000 with aircon and the touring or sports pack.

£34,000 if you want viper stripes!
Rich,

Thanks so according to my calculations say the price is 33,000 pounds.

33,000 X 1.83 ( fridays exchange rates) = $60,390

I was correct it is a sub $60,000 car. If and when they bring the new Exige to the states I am suspection it to cost at least that much or more.

Best Wishes,
Mitch
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,802 Posts
I think whether the exige makes it over as a street car probably depends on what they have to do to get it legal for the US, and whether DOT views this as a hardtop car (which would be nice).

I've driven an exige on the streets, and it's an incredibly fun car but if could only have an elise or exige, I'd jump all over the elise (open car is a biggy for me)

Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If they ever decide to build the car in Malaysia, where parent company Proton
is based, the car is going to cost us billions and billions so be thankful we're
dealing with the English Pound instead of Malaysian Yen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,114 Posts
ChrisB said:
The UK price includes the 17% VAT. The base Exige price of 29,995 minus the VAT would be $46,916USD. That is only about $7,000 more than the US Elise and a good bit of that is due to the current exchange rate that Lotus is eating.
Wow, if this is so than I was off by about 10K. Figure in full options and state sale tax and your around 55K. If this is what the price might be than the Exige is a bargain. Hey maybe Lotus can sell 1,200 of them in the US. I hope they do!!!!

Best Wishes,
Mitch
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,970 Posts
hermanslotus said:
Wow, if this is so than I was off by about 10K. Figure in full options and state sale tax and your around 55K. If this is what the price might be than the Exige is a bargain. Hey maybe Lotus can sell 1,200 of them in the US. I hope they do!!!!

Best Wishes,
Mitch
Considering what the UK S2 Exige is, just get an Elise with the hardtop option, leave it on all the time and save $5,000. The aerodynamics (splitter & spoiler) won't matter unless you're racing on a fast track).

In the UK, the difference in the price of the Elise versus the Exige is less than $7K, because their Elise is more expensive, relative to our current price.
 

·
Supporting Vendor
Joined
·
4,172 Posts
Ridgemanron said:
If they ever decide to build the car in Malaysia, where parent company Proton
is based, the car is going to cost us billions and billions so be thankful we're
dealing with the English Pound instead of Malaysian Yen.
Uh? :confused: Please explain why it will cost us more.

BTW: Ringgit not Yen. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
shinoo said:
Uh? :confused: Please explain why it will cost us more.

BTW: Ringgit not Yen. ;)
Because writings by 'Confuscious' confirm that it will cost us more. His exact words were, 'Dollar rises in east.....and lowers in west.'
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
648 Posts
If the Elise is ever built in Malaysia, it'll cost heaps less. Why do you think TVR Griffiths are so cheap. BTW, the Ringitt is pegged to the US dollar so I don't think you'll have any currency fluctuation. Unlike the pound which has been beating the crap out fo the dollar and is most definitely going to result in the Elise being more expensive in the US than what was quote originally.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,607 Posts
Seems to me that even if they eventually start building the Elise in Asia they wont suddenly mark it down to reflect manufacturing cost. If it costs 55cents to build the whole car they'll still charge $50,000.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,114 Posts
tonyyoshi said:
If the Elise is ever built in Malaysia, it'll cost heaps less. Why do you think TVR Griffiths are so cheap. BTW, the Ringitt is pegged to the US dollar so I don't think you'll have any currency fluctuation. Unlike the pound which has been beating the crap out fo the dollar and is most definitely going to result in the Elise being more expensive in the US than what was quote originally.
Tony,

Your correct, I have been on the import business for years and I have not seen the dollar this week in years. It is going to get worse if things don't change around here.

Best Wishes,
Mitch
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
People! My Malaysia comment was only a joke. We 'definately' need to get these Elises in the hands of you 'guys' as soon
as possible, for you all have too much idle time on your hands. Fanatical cleaning and caring for your E-mobiles will keep you busy. Remember, idle hands are the devil's workshop.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top