The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here in a few months, I'm thinking about getting a Lotus. I like the exige better than the elise in terms of styling and downforce ability. However, which is a better to live with?
A T-top elise would make getting in and out of the car easier as well as (at times) more fun to drive with the top off.
An elise would need less maintenance wouldn't it? Due to the s.c. and all? Also, wouldn't the s.c. lower the life expectancy of the engine?
Lastly, an elise would be easier on the gas now that gas is going up.

This is my first post so sorry if I broke any rules. If there is already a thread about this point it in my direction. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
They aren't all that different. If you plan on spending a lot of time at the track, get the Exige. If it is primarily a street car, save money and buy an Elise.

Gas mileage will be the same.

·
Registered
26 Posts
In my own opinion, in your situation, I think I'll get an Exige 192 hp... why?? .. you have the same look of the exige and you can interchange the Hard roof with the short soft one in order to get the same results of the Elise, not worrying about the air that arrives at the engine as happends on the Exige S.

Well, actually I don't know which is the legal situation in USA, but in Italy when a policeman stops you, normally he checks engine, tyres and documents and he doesn't worry about the type of roof.... maybe the US police is more efficient and scrupolous???

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
The cars really aren't all that different. Sure there's differences, but compared to anything else they're not.

Best advice anyone can give you: drive them both, buy the one you like.

IMO, for a regular driver, get the elise, for a track car get the 2-11. =D

·
Registered
222 Posts
The Elise is the best value. I took a different route. I found an already modified Elise and ended up with a car much faster than an Exige S for quite a bit less $$. The car is more prone to mechanical problems though. I just like it when the motorcycle next to me thinks it can pass me but fails.

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
First off welcome.

I usually advise people to consider what they are going to use the car for. If you will be tracking the car a lot, then get an Exige. Only occasionally or never, get an Elise. A NA Elise/ Exige is still a very quick car if driven properly so no need to spend the money on a SC unless you really want it. The new SC Elise are much more refined to drive than a 2005 NA Elise and the power is much smoother in delivery.

What will you be using the car for?

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
:popcorn:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm going to use the car as a daily driver. I don't really care how ride quality is because frankly, I like the ride of a sporty suspension.

However, my next question just occurred to me just now and its about fuel economy. I'm comparing the NA Elise to a SC Exige. The Elise gets an epa estimate of 30mpg (as if EPA means anything) and the Exige gets a little worse, 25mpg i think. I went to a Lotus dealership today and the salesman informed me that the Exige and Elise all share the stock fuel injectors. That leads me to believe that if one is cruising at 70 mph, the the Exige S should get better fuel economy than the NA Elise! All because the blower is forcing air in causing more bang for the gas and thus more fuel economy. Please correct me if my thought process is mistaken.

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
I'm going to use the car as a daily driver. I don't really care how ride quality is because frankly, I like the ride of a sporty suspension.

However, my next question just occurred to me just now and its about fuel economy. I'm comparing the NA Elise to a SC Exige. The Elise gets an epa estimate of 30mpg (as if EPA means anything) and the Exige gets a little worse, 25mpg i think. I went to a Lotus dealership today and the salesman informed me that the Exige and Elise all share the stock fuel injectors. That leads me to believe that if one is cruising at 70 mph, the the Exige S should get better fuel economy than the NA Elise! All because the blower is forcing air in causing more bang for the gas and thus more fuel economy. Please correct me if my thought process is mistaken.
Be careful about comparing mileage ratings. The EPA changed the rating system this year and the mileage for the Elise dropped by 15% +/-. Nothing actually changed mechanically on the car. It was simply how the calculations are now made.

·
Registered
361 Posts
injector sizing has nothing to do with fuel consumption. Any car with a power adder is going to use more fuel than one without no matter where you are in the power band. Keep in mind with a supercharger it takes power to make power. That pulley on the end of the snout requires your motor to work a bit harder to get it spinning. Also any time you are in "boost" your injectors are working further into their duty cycle.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well, I suppose I'm wrong. According to edmunds.com, the 2007 Elise and Exige S both get an estimated 29mpg. Nvm then.

I just read last night that on road and track that the exige actually has a lower skidpad than the elise. How so?

·
Registered
803 Posts
I just did a comparison, check my earlier post

I just provided a comparison between my 2005 Elise and my new 2008 Exige S 240.

http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54687

While I did not express my feelings very well there, I at least alluded to the fact the Elise might be a better car.

As Robert says, it really is dependent on what you plan on doing with the car. The Exige is very proficient on the track. The Elise is more at home on the UK B roads. If you like to dance (literally) with your car, get an Elise. If you want ultimate road holding and do not mind working for it, get an Exige.

I will disagree with some about the cars being very similar. My Elise had the LSS package and my Exige has the Track package. There are significant differences. As my son says, as a passenger the Elise does dance, but the Exige is violent.

Now there remains a question about how much power you want. You can get both with a super charger. I will be the first to admit that absolute power corrupts absolutely. I can never go back. However I will also point out that I was very happy with my Elise for three years and I spent a significant amount of that time autocrossing and on the track.

Michael

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
i had a well set up elise and now have a exige s set up the same. for the track i liked the elise better felt lighter and more nimble. i like the tourque of the s but the car is no better a track car than the elise. driven by a pro, Craig Stanton a NA elise was less than 2 seconds off the SC s at BW 202 vs. 159.5. On the big track at willow springs he did a 130:04 with my old elise with slicks and a slower 132 with my S on 048s. so much for down force and hp, with slicks on the exige the times may have been the same. carl

1 - 20 of 53 Posts