The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy an Exige this month and am having a hard time choosing. I am torn between the n/a Exige and the S. Anyone with the 06 wish that they had an S or does the 06 have plenty of power for you? Thanks

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
I've owned both. You can't go wrong with either. The S is better behaved in city driving, if you do a lot of that. On the track they are both awesome. I'd own both if money were no object.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I think both the Exige and Exge S can use more power. So, while I am happy with my 190 hp Exige, once I get comfortable enough on the track, a Katana or BWR power upgrade is in store. If I had an Exige S, I would probably go Gotham sooner than later.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
There were/are more Exige S's sold in the US. Much easier to find than an 06, especially if you're at all picky about options/color.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
im dead set on purchasing an 06 Exige, for an odd reason the S doesnt appeal to me...

·
Registered
263 Posts
If you are planning on tracking the car (which you should be in buying an exige), and haven't driven anything before of a similar caliber, I'd go with the N/A 06 model.

Everyone I talked to had the same thing to say: The S just gives you more opportunities to get in trouble (as a novice at least). Drive the base model and learn the car, the track(s) and how to drive properly. A year or two down the line when you have really gone as far as you can with it, then you can always upgrade with a kit to lower those laptimes even more.

But good cornering and mechanics are going to get you much lower times than the extra 30-50 horsepower will for a long time.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
im dead set on purchasing an 06 Exige, for an odd reason the S doesnt appeal to me...
Same car but S has more power. What's to debate? Who would want a car with *less* power? :shrug:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Have you guys seen my Post under the Lotus Cars For Sale Section? I have copied it below

I would have to say that an 06 Exige may be the "best bang for the buck," and certainly is not slow. Further, with the Supercharging Options out there, you can kind of "grow" (both as an Exige Driver, and in your Pocketbook) into a Superchaged Car, which you cannot do if you buy an S.

ANDY

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

For Sale:

06 Exige, Solar Yellow, about 800 miles (almost all highway), MINT condition and truly like new. EVERY OPTION is included in this Car, including Star Shield, Touring Package, Limited Slip, Traction Control, Track Package (of course), Driving Lights, JVC Navigation Deck (KD-NX500), Yellow Painted Calipers on all 4 wheels (by HRM) and Lotus Logo Mats w/yellow piping (also by HRM).

Its "in service date" is in October 2007, so lots of warranty is left on this "perfect" car. The VIN Number is SCCPC11196HL82895.

This car has never been on the 2nd cam, has not even had its first service yet, and has only "dreamed" of a Track/Auto Cross (not yet having been involved in same), while having been tenderly broken-in by an adult (well, my Wife would likely argue with that) driver.

Having formerly owned an Elise ---- which was traded for this Exige ---- I now have an opportunity for something else, making my "short attention span" into your buying opportunity.

The car has spent its life in an indoor heated Garage in Great Neck, NY (on Long Island), and accumulated most if its miles on runs to the Hamptons in the Fall, and has never even seen rain (though I have told the car about the concept, and it is awaiting a viewing thereof).

Pictures will follow within the next day or 2, but this car is basically brand new (and I trust you all know what it looks like).

I am seeking a quick sale (with title in hand, and no liens thereon) at $45,500, or over $13,500 less than sticker (sticker on the car was $59,135.00, before the Driving Lights (about $400, installed), 4 painted Calipers (about $400), HRM Logo Mats ($395, from HRM) and JVC Deck (about $800, installed)) in just a few months/miles.

ANDY

UPDATED WITH LINK TO PICTURES ----

http://www2.snapfish.com/thumbnailsh...8/t_=124089078[/quote]

For Sale:

This is a link to a picture on the HRM posting for my the car before I purchased same (and before the calipers were all painted)

http://www.huntingridgemotors.com/im...6-07-12_03.jpg
Attached Images

·
Registered
263 Posts
Same car but S has more power. What's to debate? Who would want a car with *less* power? :shrug:

I have a buddy back east that has a 94' Integra he tracks. No power, everything is basically held together with hope and prayer. But he has a wicked suspension setup and is a very capable driver. Knows VIR like the back of his hand and knows his car just as well.

He runs rings around people at HDPE events with double or triple the power and handling capabilities of his car.

Same basic thing can be said for Autocross. The best guys don't have the most power, they have the most skill and suspension (generally speaking).

More power = more trouble, not faster times.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
I have a buddy back east that has a 94' Integra he tracks. No power, everything is basically held together with hope and prayer. But he has a wicked suspension setup and is a very capable driver. Knows VIR like the back of his hand and knows his car just as well.

He runs rings around people at HDPE events with double or triple the power and handling capabilities of his car.

Same basic thing can be said for Autocross. The best guys don't have the most power, they have the most skill and suspension (generally speaking).

Right. How good would your buddy be in a decent car?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Right. How good would your buddy be in a decent car?
Based on his abilities and some of the other cars he's taken around (mutual friends etc), I'd say he's more than capable now of moving up quite a bit. Just happens that the Teg is what he can afford to race. Most people can't afford the amount of money it takes to keep a 40-60k car trackable.

Same reason most kids start on Karts then move into the classics cars (forget the proper term, but the 3/4 scale oval cars) and so on up to whatever they end up in. Learning to maximize a slow car's capabilities translates to much better ability in a faster car, than vice versa.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts

The extra power makes up for the N/A car's lack of power in long straightaways.

Your friend probably doesn't have the means to buy a faster car so his setup is great for what he can afford.

If you can afford an Exige or an Exige S, why not get the "S"? Makes no sense to me.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
The extra power makes up for the N/A car's lack of power in long straightaways.

Your friend probably doesn't have the means to buy a faster car so his setup is great for what he can afford.

If you can afford an Exige or an Exige S, why not get the "S"? Makes no sense to me.

Yup. You hit it. Otherwise same car. Visually the only differences are the black wing/splitter/side scoops on the 06's vs body color on the S's. And more than a few 06 owners had some/all of those items painted body color. And the little extension to the roof scoop on the S that is about the size of the A/C surround. Most people who even know Lotus' won't see the difference.

Can be optioned identically. Why NOT spring for an extra 30hp if it's affordable?

Turn it around....who would turn down an extra 30 hp on a sports/performance car?

Look at this:

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53221

Asking price is about $7K more than another poster is asking for an 06 Exige. But this is already FI, factory warranty on the blower, and overall the same car but cheaper than what it would cost to convert an 06 with no warranty.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Call me weird, but I've spent extensive time in both and I prefer the NA Exige. Partly I like the challenge of getting the most out of the car without the extra HP to make up for mistakes and partly I don't like the whine of the supercharger in my ear. I also prefer the black trim but that's pretty easy to fix.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Exige S owners, how much faster is the Exige S really to the NA Exige? Is it night and day or just a good, healthy boost?

It's the same difference between an Exige S and your Elise. The 06 Exige is an LSS Elise with a body kit. It really is no more complicated than that. The view out of the windshield is identical, the interior is identical, the handling dynamics at anything but the extreme limit on a track is identical. It all boils down to aesthetics for most people. The average non-Lotusphile doesn't even notice the difference between and Exige and an Elise, even when they're parked side-by-side. I've seen this countless times at car shows with my 06 Exige next to Elise's.

Recenty, having gone 'back' to an Elise from an 06 Exige (I don't really consider it going back, they're the same car for all intents and purposes), my neighbor asked me if I got my car painted.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts