The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
According to the web, the 111R costs about 28000 pounds and is basically the same car we will get here. Based on exhange rates, this comes to about $52300. However, we only pay $40000. A savings of about 23.5%.

The exige will supposedly sell for 30000 pounds or $56000. If we get the same 23.5% break, the Exige should sell for $42800. I doubt it will be that cheap if it does make it here, but it should be less than $50K.

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
Jon,

I think the chances of getting the Exige here are increasingly good. But don't expect to see the car until sometime in mid to late 2005. At that, it will likely be of very limited production. Packaging could be like europe with the base car really being a autocrosser with a touring package option for road use. I'd expect about a 5-6k premium over the Elise.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree with you. I see no real reason why it needs new certification to come here. It is essently a hardtop US elise with some aero aids. I'll bet it comes here. Lotus could probably just market it as an Elise with the 'exige' package instead of marketing as en entirely different model as it sells elsewhere. Much like Chevrolet has done with the corvette Z06.

I'll take mine in Chrome Orange.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,117 Posts
I doubt it will be that easy. I think Lotus may need to apply for waivers for this model as well. Lotus markets this vehicle as a separate model - so DOT will view it as such. I hope I am wrong because I would like to own one.

Since LCU offers us a Sport pack for the Elise, the Exige will perform very similar. At this point it appears to be mostly a cosmetic difference (for us). Maybe those crafty marketers at Lotus have a differentiating ace up their sleeve? :)

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
Shinoo,

I agree wityh your statements. I think, however, that based on the way Lotus has handled their marketing in europe over the past few years, it would be in their nature to offer a limited number of premium priced Exige for the US. Note, this may only amount to a few hundred at most, but as Jon pointed out, this could be financially feasible based on the simularity to the Elise. If DOT makes Lotus go through the hoops for the car, the prospect will quickly die. It does seem though, that this is a real possibility since the new Exige has a thrid brake light which conforms to DOT reg. Lotus may also opt to wait until the 2007 model debuts in 2006 to bring the Exige here. With Lotus being quiet when it comes to model intros and future product plans in combination with their ability to make very quick turn-around of new products from concept to production, anything is possible.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
shinoo said:
I doubt it will be that easy. I think Lotus may need to apply for waivers for this model as well. Lotus markets this vehicle as a separate model - so DOT will view it as such. I hope I am wrong because I would like to own one.

Since LCU offers us a Sport pack for the Elise, the Exige will perform very similar. At this point it appears to be mostly a cosmetic difference (for us). Maybe those crafty marketers at Lotus have a differentiating ace up their sleeve? :)

So much I hear it is definitely coming here next year around summer 2005 with a more powerful motor than the Elise. I have no idea what the price would be but it should be more than an Elise for sure.

Best Wishes,
Mitch

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll bet if it comes here it will be about $50K. Any more than that, you move into Z06 territory.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
At first, based on the 23% math, I was surprised at the small price diff. However, we're talking about radically different cars which will be their main differentiating factor. I think that a few thousand at most price diff is reasonable. I plan on driving mine more than tracking mine, so no LSS and by the same token, no Exige. For the record, it looks gorgeous.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Unless they really increase the HP, it will be a hard sell at anything over $50K. I certainly wouldn't buy one for over $50K and I highly doubt Lotus would bring it here at that price in its current state. There is nothing on the car to justify a $20K price increase over the standard US elise. It is essentially body work, thats all.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts