The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pondering the thought of TT/Wheel to wheel racing.

Have done a bit a research online but somebody may know better.

Need a roll cage for an 07 Exige, with the top on, that can be installed DIY fairly easy. I can weld anything needed but still like to keep it simple, installed the cage in my 72 Baja Bug so sort of know the ass pain I'm going to endure. Have a medium set of mechanical skills and if I don't have the tool I can buy it.

Auto cross as much as possible and drive the car to work 1 day a week to offset the 72 Bug comments but still need it semi functional.

Any suggestions on fabricators, manufacturers, etc.... will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
4,550 Posts
You may want to contact VSA Motorsports - they fabricate cages for those of us racing in LotusCupUSA

·
Registered
1 Posts
Roll-over support

You can see some information on track preparation from this UK site and the Lotus Sport parts that were offered ...

Prepare your Lotus for motorsport

In fact, I have available for sale a Lotus Sports RollBar A-Frame and Petty Bar setup for an S1 that I bought from PlansMotorsport in the UK. The A-frame bolts to the stock Roll Hoop and provides for shoulder harness mounting. The Petty Bar is a bolt-in diagonal down to the passenger floor. If not a direct fit to the S2 Toyota, it should be easy to make it work.

It might suit your needs as the A-frame can remain installed for DD, and the diagonal brace can be easily installed/removed for an event.

Email me directly if you are insterested ljduncans at gmail.com

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
You can see some information on track preparation from this UK site and the Lotus Sport parts that were offered ...

Prepare your Lotus for motorsport

In fact, I have available for sale a Lotus Sports RollBar A-Frame and Petty Bar setup for an S1 that I bought from PlansMotorsport in the UK. The A-frame bolts to the stock Roll Hoop and provides for shoulder harness mounting. The Petty Bar is a bolt-in diagonal down to the passenger floor. If not a direct fit to the S2 Toyota, it should be easy to make it work.

It might suit your needs as the A-frame can remain installed for DD, and the diagonal brace can be easily installed/removed for an event.

Email me directly if you are insterested ljduncans at gmail.com
The S1 roll bar and A-frame are not a direct fit for an S2, the amount of modification for the base mounts to fit as well as the door striker locations make it easier to make a new bar. Also the wall thickness of the factory bar is not compliant with any of the sanctioning racing organizations in the US.
Your best bet is to contact Hypersport (they built all the US Cup car cages) or VSA as mentioned (also I believe Sector 111 sells a cage). The most important thing to do is to identify the organization you intend to race with or do TT, so that you can install a cage that meets their criteria. SCCA and NASA require door bars, the Lotus Challenge Series does not.

Here's an example of a custom built cage to SCCA specs....
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/s1-exige-build-2012-a-114637/

·
Premium Member
4,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Premium Member
1,539 Posts
When I was considering wheel to wheel racing I did a fair amount of research and looked at every roll cage made for the Lotus in the US. Came to the conclusion that VSA built the best cage out there (I made sure I looked at all installs personally) for the money and would have gone that route if I had made the move to WW (took up karting with my son's instead).

Like previously said, make sure your cage type is approved by sanctioning body for the type of racing your going to be doing. Prepping for Lotus Cup in the East isn't going to get you anywhere as there are no events planned as of yet (unfortunately).

·
Registered
935 Posts
re: Roll cage

I would use a few principles in selecting a roll cage. Some of them have been mentioned here already.

1. It has to confirm to the rules. It appears that there are some significant differences in the USA.

2. It has to provide the desired level of protection. I try to follow the NASCAR design. The part that is missing in some regulations on this thread are door intrusion bars. Here, at Mosport, there have been a number of racing accidents where the car was hit on the side at high speed. (Trans-Am accident was fatal.)

3. The cage should stiffen the chassis. Everything in a race car should serve 2 or more purposes. Hence, I like gussets on corners and x-bars(on the roof and rear hoop). The rear connection of the frame should go further back to where the rear sub-frame attaches or ideally to the pick-up points. The front should extend to the front shocks, etc.

4. The cage should be as light as possible. Hence, a balancing act between 2 and 3, the car weight and material used. I would use 4130 tubing...

5. If you will use it as a daily driver, you need to get in and out. With door intrusion bars, it is hard... :)

Anton

·
Registered
61 Posts
engine cover

The S1 roll bar and A-frame are not a direct fit for an S2, the amount of modification for the base mounts to fit as well as the door striker locations make it easier to make a new bar. Also the wall thickness of the factory bar is not compliant with any of the sanctioning racing organizations in the US.
Your best bet is to contact Hypersport (they built all the US Cup car cages) or VSA as mentioned (also I believe Sector 111 sells a cage). The most important thing to do is to identify the organization you intend to race with or do TT, so that you can install a cage that meets their criteria. SCCA and NASA require door bars, the Lotus Challenge Series does not.

Here's an example of a custom built cage to SCCA specs....
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/s1-exige-build-2012-a-114637/
great photos of cage, I'm interested in your engine cover, was it fabricated by you or purchased, if purchased, where?

·
Registered
583 Posts
great photos of cage, I'm interested in your engine cover, was it fabricated by you or purchased, if purchased, where?
that would not pass most countries regs though...

lack of straight corner to corner diagonal in the main hoop is a no no as is lack of a diagonal in in the 'roof' section.

Door bars wise, there have been more than a few discussions on these in several countries, the principal is fine, BUT the Elise is not a tin-top or a vette, etc and does not have the same issues.

the side chassis rails are there to do this job, and your hip-relative heights are the important bit.

Adding door bars restricts the already tight access...

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
The cover itself I purchased from a seller in the UK, I fabricated the tunneling on the bottom that directs air to the airbox.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
that would not pass most countries regs though...

lack of straight corner to corner diagonal in the main hoop is a no no as is lack of a diagonal in in the 'roof' section.

Door bars wise, there have been more than a few discussions on these in several countries, the principal is fine, BUT the Elise is not a tin-top or a vette, etc and does not have the same issues.

the side chassis rails are there to do this job, and your hip-relative heights are the important bit.

Adding door bars restricts the already tight access...
Totally agree with all your observations Simon...
This cage I built following exactly the specs laid out by SCCA (Sports Car Club of America), most other sanctioning bodies in the US basically follow SCCA standards with their specs.
Worst part was adding those damn door bars knowing that FIA doesn't require them in our chasssis! They do make a small opening even smaller to get in/out and they add weight!!:facepalm

·
Registered
583 Posts
This cage I built following exactly the specs laid out by SCCA (Sports Car Club of America), most other sanctioning bodies in the US basically follow SCCA standards with their specs.
Worst part was adding those damn door bars knowing that FIA doesn't require them in our chasssis! They do make a small opening even smaller to get in/out and they add weight!!:facepalm
it's the same problem with most sanctioning bodies, they rely on a one-size-fits-all approach, which is clearly going to cause problems for cars that are of unconventional construction.

take a current LMP1 car, no door bars there...

·
Banned
3,229 Posts
The SCCA no longer requires them in Lotus Type-111 chassis... The door bars are to be waist height (per regulation)... the chassis is already waist height... The SCCA gives "credit" for the OEM structure as complying to that regulation.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
The SCCA no longer requires them in Lotus Type-111 chassis... The door bars are to be waist height (per regulation)... the chassis is already waist height... The SCCA gives "credit" for the OEM structure as complying to that regulation.
:facepalm

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Am going thru similar stuff for a roll cage for my 2005 Elise and I agree with what you are getting from all. VSA and Safety Devices seem to be the way to go. What I ran into at the American dealer for Safety Devices was they do not carry my item in reg. inventory, so they will special order. That happens twice a year to save freight for customers. Individual orders send freight to approx twice the cost of item. If you find yourself in a special order situation would like to coordinate with you. The VSA rep is supposed to call me back this evening. Will send any info along that may be helpful to you..Lou

1 - 20 of 20 Posts