The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 Exige S that seems to be consuming coolant. If I fill it halfway up the expansion tank and check back in a while when the car is cold, the coolant level is at the bottom. Any suggestions on what to look for?

The car has only 17K miles and is not tracked. I've had it only for 1K miles.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Banned
3,229 Posts
Is you radiator cap holding pressure? I'd change it... Also look for cracks in that clear plastic bottle/reservoir... Are all the connections good? There are probably 6 hoses going to it...

·
He's on fire!
3,411 Posts
gotta be coming out somewhere. you can try finding it while its running, if it proves difficult get the dye. Probably worth checking under the radiator, do you smell coolant up front?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is you radiator cap holding pressure? I'd change it... Also look for cracks in that clear plastic bottle/reservoir... Are all the connections good? There are probably 6 hoses going to it...
The connections look ok as does the tank. I'm not sure how to check the cap. I assumed I crack it open when the coolant is still warm to see if there's a pressure release?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
gotta be coming out somewhere. you can try finding it while its running, if it proves difficult get the dye. Probably worth checking under the radiator, do you smell coolant up front?
I'm here in MPLS and I went to start it and let it run for 15 minutes during the most recent cold snap. Well, an hour and 15 min later I remembered the car was running (garage door open)! The next day I noticed the coolant level was low...and the gas was a notch lower :^(

I cannot be completely sure the level was full before I let it run, but I know I topped it off very recently. I had to top off the coolant a couple times earlier as well. I didn't notice a smell, but I wasn't in the car this time. But this was the first time it sat running in one place for a while. There was no puddle under the car.

Thanks,
Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts