The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Blew my 2007 Exige S motor this week, at the track of course, not sure exactly what happened because I wasn't pushing it......oil is blowing out of the exhaust and number 4cylinder has oil in it as well as the intercooler tubes. No power. Limped back to pit. Will know more once apart. Had an accusump installed.

Now that I have to rebuild am looking at a number of options.....
1) Just replace what is broken and keep driving (cheapest alternative)
2)Get a new short block from Toyota and get back into action, with factory spec.
3) Upgrade pistons, connecting rods, valves, springs and build a stronger bottom and top end
4) Ugrade everything listed in 3 and duplicate the 260 engine with bigger injectors, larger fuel pump, chipped ECU (although I think there is more to this).

Who on the forum has actually rebuilt their S engine and what did you do. I am looking for more power and reliability (and I don't want crazy horsepower because everything else downstream will start breaking, ie.....trans, clutch, etc.).

Anyone have a rebuild that has been reliable and very happy with?

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
4)

·
Premium Member
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
723 Posts
yes, but I want to hear from someone that has done the rebuild and has experience with the results.
Just returned from Thunderbolt from 2 days of suspension testing. We run race pace in the high 1:20s. Sub 1:teens on Lightning.
Since you know who we are why not give us a call? Building reliable race engines and transmissions is one thing we try to do.
(Up to now, where have you been all year? Didn't the young, blond girl with the Katana catch fire last year at Lightning? What happened to her?)

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Blew my 2007 Exige S motor this week, at the track of course, not sure exactly what happened because I wasn't pushing it......oil is blowing out of the exhaust and number 4cylinder has oil in it as well as the intercooler tubes. No power. Limped back to pit. Will know more once apart. Had an accusump installed.

Now that I have to rebuild am looking at a number of options.....
1) Just replace what is broken and keep driving (cheapest alternative)
2)Get a new short block from Toyota and get back into action, with factory spec.
3) Upgrade pistons, connecting rods, valves, springs and build a stronger bottom and top end
4) Ugrade everything listed in 3 and duplicate the 260 engine with bigger injectors, larger fuel pump, chipped ECU (although I think there is more to this).

Who on the forum has actually rebuilt their S engine and what did you do. I am looking for more power and reliability (and I don't want crazy horsepower because everything else downstream will start breaking, ie.....trans, clutch, etc.).

Anyone have a rebuild that has been reliable and very happy with?
You must be my non-evil twin since the exact same thing happened to my Exige S the last time I tracked it. I have a thread on here somewhere asking for the same engine build advice.

I also blew my motor when I was not pushing the car (second turn of lap #2 during the first session of the day). I also have an accusump. Upon pulling my motor apart, connecting rod #4 was bent and the rod bearing was spun.

From my research, it seems that fuel starvation may have been the culprit on my engine destruction. Were you taking a long left turn when it blew? If so, fuel starvation may be the cause for you. The gas tank is poorly designed and left turns cause starvation. On the NA cars, starvation is an annoyance. On the supercharged cars, fuel starvation results in high AFRs and detonation. Bye, bye motor.

I am in the process of rebuilding my motor. Most of what I am doing falls under your option #3. I purchased a stock Toyota block and upgraded the connecting rods (crower forged) and pistons (mahle with the stock compression). I am also having the head rebuilt with stronger springs and retainers and having a moroso pan installed. While the motor is out, a few other items are going in: new clutch and flywheel (even if you don't need to replace them, think about doing it when the motor/tranny are out), stiffer motor mounts and TurboPhil's fuel surge tank.

I thought long and hard about dropping the compression, increasing boost, etc., but decided against it. I have the Gotham 265 tune and the car runs perfectly. I don't want the expense and possible frustration of custom tuning, especially if the results don't meet my expectations. My goal was to get the car back on the track as soon as possible, and hopefully avoid this same problem from occuring again.

Sorry to hear about your motor, good luck with your rebuild.

·
Registered
181 Posts
This is disconcerting to hear. I know even worse for you. You have my sympathy. Did/will Lotus cover any of this? Best wishes.

·
Premium Member
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Engine Rebuild

You must be my non-evil twin since the exact same thing happened to my Exige S the last time I tracked it. I have a thread on here somewhere asking for the same engine build advice.

I also blew my motor when I was not pushing the car (second turn of lap #2 during the first session of the day). I also have an accusump. Upon pulling my motor apart, connecting rod #4 was bent and the rod bearing was spun.

From my research, it seems that fuel starvation may have been the culprit on my engine destruction. Were you taking a long left turn when it blew? If so, fuel starvation may be the cause for you. The gas tank is poorly designed and left turns cause starvation. On the NA cars, starvation is an annoyance. On the supercharged cars, fuel starvation results in high AFRs and detonation. Bye, bye motor.

I am in the process of rebuilding my motor. Most of what I am doing falls under your option #3. I purchased a stock Toyota block and upgraded the connecting rods (crower forged) and pistons (mahle with the stock compression). I am also having the head rebuilt with stronger springs and retainers and having a moroso pan installed. While the motor is out, a few other items are going in: new clutch and flywheel (even if you don't need to replace them, think about doing it when the motor/tranny are out), stiffer motor mounts and TurboPhil's fuel surge tank.

I thought long and hard about dropping the compression, increasing boost, etc., but decided against it. I have the Gotham 265 tune and the car runs perfectly. I don't want the expense and possible frustration of custom tuning, especially if the results don't meet my expectations. My goal was to get the car back on the track as soon as possible, and hopefully avoid this same problem from occuring again.

Sorry to hear about your motor, good luck with your rebuild.
Dave, I see we have the same taste in cars.... I also have a 2007 C4S.

Was at Summit Point taking turn one (hard right turn) when this happened. No notice of anything going wrong except sudden loss of power. Engine temp was fine (189 degree's) and at least 1/2 tank of gas. I have an on-board video of the run and you can clearly see I wasn't pushing the car. Not sure of the extent of the engine damage yet as it's being torn apart on Tuesday.

Am gathering as much data on an engine rebuild as possible so I can build something that's "bullet proof". Where did you buy all your parts? I looked at MWR and the various blocks and engine builds they offer. Want to go the same way you are, and if you don't mid sharing would appreciate part numbers and purchase info.
I have the Larini sport cat and sport exhaust on my car and for the last couple of weeks the engine light has been on. Using an OBD scanner it was showing a lean fuel mixture at the CAT. My mechanic suggested it wasn't a problem, due to the sport CAT. A friend of mine has an aftermarket supercharger on her Elise and has the same reading for over a year without any problems (of hard driving at the track).

Your right about the clutch and flywheel. Will do the same.

How come you bought a new short block instead of just rebuilding the old block?

I have been told if there were small metal filings in the oil pan to replace (with new) oil radiators as your never get them clean and could float metal into your new engine.

Did you get any info from Charlie X regarding what type of build works best with his ECU tune? I am wondering if bigger injectors are in order as that is what Lotus did for the 240 and 260.

Spoke with Shinoo at Sector 111 about his suggestions, bottom line was to strengthen top and bottom as we are doing without going crazy with wild HP as the trans is then the weak link. By the way, Shinoo is working with a local shop to create some short block solutions.....but it will be a couple of months.

·
Premium Member
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just returned from Thunderbolt from 2 days of suspension testing. We run race pace in the high 1:20s. Sub 1:teens on Lightning.
Since you know who we are why not give us a call? Building reliable race engines and transmissions is one thing we try to do.
(Up to now, where have you been all year? Didn't the young, blond girl with the Katana catch fire last year at Lightning? What happened to her?)
Hi Don, left you a VM. I've been to NJMP lots this season, saw your car one day but you weren't around. Let's talk.

·
Premium Member
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is disconcerting to hear. I know even worse for you. You have my sympathy. Did/will Lotus cover any of this? Best wishes.
I doubt Lotus will cover.....unless a defect in a part. Will find out next week.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Dave, I see we have the same taste in cars.... I also have a 2007 C4S.

Was at Summit Point taking turn one (hard right turn) when this happened. No notice of anything going wrong except sudden loss of power. Engine temp was fine (189 degree's) and at least 1/2 tank of gas. I have an on-board video of the run and you can clearly see I wasn't pushing the car. Not sure of the extent of the engine damage yet as it's being torn apart on Tuesday.

Am gathering as much data on an engine rebuild as possible so I can build something that's "bullet proof". Where did you buy all your parts? I looked at MWR and the various blocks and engine builds they offer. Want to go the same way you are, and if you don't mid sharing would appreciate part numbers and purchase info.
I have the Larini sport cat and sport exhaust on my car and for the last couple of weeks the engine light has been on. Using an OBD scanner it was showing a lean fuel mixture at the CAT. My mechanic suggested it wasn't a problem, due to the sport CAT. A friend of mine has an aftermarket supercharger on her Elise and has the same reading for over a year without any problems (of hard driving at the track).

Your right about the clutch and flywheel. Will do the same.

How come you bought a new short block instead of just rebuilding the old block?

I have been told if there were small metal filings in the oil pan to replace (with new) oil radiators as your never get them clean and could float metal into your new engine.

Did you get any info from Charlie X regarding what type of build works best with his ECU tune? I am wondering if bigger injectors are in order as that is what Lotus did for the 240 and 260.

Spoke with Shinoo at Sector 111 about his suggestions, bottom line was to strengthen top and bottom as we are doing without going crazy with wild HP as the trans is then the weak link. By the way, Shinoo is working with a local shop to create some short block solutions.....but it will be a couple of months.
I am going with the crower rods and mahle pistons (same compression as stock) from MWR. I am a maintenance guy only, no large repairs for me, so Rob at Dietsch Werks is doing all of the work. My car was at his shop 4 hours after the engine blew (ironically, I just purchased my trailer for the Exige). Rob ordered the parts from MWR and would be happy to discuss any aspects with you. Great guy and super knowledgable about these cars. 480-725-4243 if you want to call him (always answers) or you can PM him from this site.

Regarding the block, I probably only needed a new crankshaft, which is $900. Just to be safe, I decided to spend $800 more and get a new block as well.

Rob and I discussed the oil radiators and he believed he could get them clean to prevent any metal from working back into the engine. I may have another discussion about this.

I did not talk to Charlie about my rebuild as the new motor, although stronger (hopefully), should not perform differently from the original motor. I seem to recall Charlie posting somewhere that the stock 440 injectors work fine for his 265 tune. I can tell you that I had no issues with the tune. The car ran noticably stronger and smoother. No stalling either (unlike the stock tune).

I agree with Shinoo's comments on the transmission. Twelve track days on my car have not been kind on the tranny. That component is on borrowed time, but I am not spending any money on it until I have to.

I should have the car back on the track on 6/6 and 6/7. Hopefully, I am posting good news on 6/8.

·
Premium Member
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am going with the crower rods and mahle pistons (same compression as stock) from MWR. I am a maintenance guy only, no large repairs for me, so Rob at Dietsch Werks is doing all of the work. My car was at his shop 4 hours after the engine blew (ironically, I just purchased my trailer for the Exige). Rob ordered the parts from MWR and would be happy to discuss any aspects with you. Great guy and super knowledgable about these cars. 480-725-4243 if you want to call him (always answers) or you can PM him from this site.

Regarding the block, I probably only needed a new crankshaft, which is $900. Just to be safe, I decided to spend $800 more and get a new block as well.

Rob and I discussed the oil radiators and he believed he could get them clean to prevent any metal from working back into the engine. I may have another discussion about this.

I did not talk to Charlie about my rebuild as the new motor, although stronger (hopefully), should not perform differently from the original motor. I seem to recall Charlie posting somewhere that the stock 440 injectors work fine for his 265 tune. I can tell you that I had no issues with the tune. The car ran noticably stronger and smoother. No stalling either (unlike the stock tune).

I agree with Shinoo's comments on the transmission. Twelve track days on my car have not been kind on the tranny. That component is on borrowed time, but I am not spending any money on it until I have to.

I should have the car back on the track on 6/6 and 6/7. Hopefully, I am posting good news on 6/8.
Dave, appreciate the info., will call Rob to get his perspective. I have 33 track days on my car before the engine blew. So far the trans is holding up.......but I am fairly careful.....and hope it lasts (at least) another season.

Regarding the oil radiator, both MWR and my shop told me to replace them. Will take the advice. MWR said one customer replaced 3 engines in a row because of metal in the oil radiator.

What type of clutch are you installing? Stock or an upgrade?

I have an email into Charlie X to ask about injector size with Gotham tune. Will buy his reflashed ECU and as this engine seems to have fuel starvation issues at high rpm I am wondering if going to the next size injectors are the best way to go. Clearly Lotus thought so as they inreased the size in the 240.
Good luck with the break in period and your next track event!

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
You can save some $$ by keeping the stock connecting rods - the Toyota pieces are strong. I replace mine with Crower rods, but I'm increasing power 2.5 times stock and didn't want to take the chance.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Dave, appreciate the info., will call Rob to get his perspective. I have 33 track days on my car before the engine blew. So far the trans is holding up.......but I am fairly careful.....and hope it lasts (at least) another season.

Regarding the oil radiator, both MWR and my shop told me to replace them. Will take the advice. MWR said one customer replaced 3 engines in a row because of metal in the oil radiator.

What type of clutch are you installing? Stock or an upgrade?

I have an email into Charlie X to ask about injector size with Gotham tune. Will buy his reflashed ECU and as this engine seems to have fuel starvation issues at high rpm I am wondering if going to the next size injectors are the best way to go. Clearly Lotus thought so as they inreased the size in the 240.
Good luck with the break in period and your next track event!
I am switching to the Fidenza 3.2 clutch and Fidenza flywheel that Sector sells.

I think I will take the oil raditor replacement advice. Seems consistent with my goal to build a stronger and longer lasting motor.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts