The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think of the 2008 Exige S interior compared to the '07? I'm kind of torn between the additional leather work and stitching here and there on the '08 over the rawer, bare metal look of the '07. And I'm not completely sold on the black gauges of the '08 either. Also, can anyone who has driven both cars extensively comment on the relative build quality of the two MYs? Has Lotus improved the quality significantly on the '08?

·
Registered
566 Posts
What I like about the 08 Interior:
New instrument cluster
Leather center console
Exige stitched floormats

What I like about the 07 Interior:
Exige stitched Probax seats

With that being said, I know many people with 08s that swapped their leather center consoles in favor of the CF ones, so it's a matter of personal preference. As for the seats, I'd rather have the 07 stitched Probax seats over the 08 ones.

You could easily get the leather center console and stiched floormats for relative cheap, while you could have the 08 seats stitched with "Exige" for cheap as well.

I guess it really comes down to the 08 instrument cluster, which is really cool :)

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Also, can anyone who has driven both cars extensively comment on the relative build quality of the two MYs?
Not likely many folks around who have driven an 07 AND an 08 extensively. I've had my 07 since May...and I wouldn't call that extensively at all. :D

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
I changed out the gray plastic center console for one in stitched black leather and alcantara. I also updated the instrument binnacle and A/C surround with alcantara as well. IMHO, it makes the interior look far more "finished"... (and more like the '08)

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I had an 06 and now an 08. I like the old instrument cluster just as much as the new one. Not sure why.

Never heard anything about the Probax seats. My seats seem the same in the 08 as in the 06 except the 08 doesn't say Exige on the seats. The fabric is slightly different and perhaps more durable.

I didn't get the touring/leather package in either year so they look the same.

I do like the flat finish of the plastic better, but if I had an 06 or 07 I would get the carbon fiber door seals that look even better.

·
Registered
269 Posts
alcantara ...good choice!

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I think Lotus made some interesting cost cutting measures on the 08's - partly for change, partly due to regulations and to allow for interchangable usage.

The seats are now shared - so it didn't make sense to have Exige stitched into them when they will also be used in the Elise (SC). So save money and homogenize the product. It is alot cheaper to embroider the floor mats.

The dash was prompted by changes madated for the ECU and tire pressure regs.

The mat black finish looks cheaper in my opinion - you cant obscure the inevitable scratches and scuffs on the sill, for example, by using dressing or polish like you could with the 07 and earlier finish.

At least the 08 console matches something in the interior now. The 07 and earlier console was this gray plastic that tried to match the aluminum color. It would have been nicer if it were aluminum like the rest of the interior.

To each their own...I'm sure everyone will have their preference - I really think it is a wash in the end and just not a compelling enough reason to determine a selection by itself.

·
Registered
688 Posts
The interior is a personal choice. I like the 08 color, but the sills will not hold up over time. No big deal, just cover them in leather later. As for build quality, I prefer the 08. It feels more solid and has less squeeks and rattles. The shifter cables are new for 08 and make a huge difference in the feel. It just feels more solid and better built. Plus, the power of the 240 is nice, but not a huge difference over the 07. The big brakes are fantastic, and the larger hood scoop just looks good. By the way, I still own my 07 and drive it, just not as much as the 08. :sad:

·
Registered
191 Posts
hrmm

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
The dash was prompted by changes madated for the ECU and tire pressure regs.

The mat black finish looks cheaper in my opinion - you cant obscure the inevitable scratches and scuffs on the sill, for example, by using dressing or polish like you could with the 07 and earlier finish.

At least the 08 console matches something in the interior now. The 07 and earlier console was this gray plastic that tried to match the aluminum color. It would have been nicer if it were aluminum like the rest of the interior.

To each their own...I'm sure everyone will have their preference - I really think it is a wash in the end and just not a compelling enough reason to determine a selection by itself.
Not sure what changes you are referring to regarding the dash? You mean the instrument cluster?

So far the mat black seems scratch resistant. I will keep my fingers crossed.

I have the old plastic grey console. It's cheap, but doesn't bother me for some reason.

Total wash.

I probably would have liked "Exige" on the seats.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Not sure what changes you are referring to regarding the dash? You mean the instrument cluster?

So far the mat black seems scratch resistant. I will keep my fingers crossed.

I have the old plastic grey console. It's cheap, but doesn't bother me for some reason.

Total wash.

I probably would have liked "Exige" on the seats.

After visiting the lotus factory in hethel and going for a rather vip tour seeing how these cars go together, not just being a privledge, but also gave appreciation to how special these cars really are.

Didnt like the 08 dash, seats look a little more modern. Do like the larger roof (but mines got a cf one thanks prototype composites!) as it should of left factory with that roof. Everything else must be management. THeres not much wrong with the standard brakes with a good set of pads and braided lines/fluids, but the ap racing ones look the business.

Also after that tour i want a 2-11!!! sooo badly.. in orange. Beats the launch colour configuration ANYDAY. :coolnana::coolnana::coolnana:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts