The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've upgraded my muffler (Top Speed), and was wondering if it's worth the money to upgrade to a high flow catalytic converter on my 07 Exige S? I enjoy the louder more aggressive sound. Also, I don't want my CEL to come on.

I've found the FTP (Catalytic Converter :: Exhaust :: Lotus Elise & Exige :: Fast Toys Performance. ~$500

Then for ~$300 OBX has the headers and Cat (OBX Race Header Lotus Elise / Exige 2ZZ-GE Exhaust Header 4-1). Years ago I had OBX Headers on my 2003 Acura TLS and had no issues, but as inexpensive as they are, I don't want to put junk on my car if that's the case. Has anyone had any experience with them?

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have a 07 Exige s and fitted the ppe headers and sport cat. I would recommend you look at this unit. I also had them ceramic coated.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I have the FTP cat paired with a Larini exhaust. I like the sound but I do suffer the occasional CEL.

·
Registered
309 Posts
What CEL code are u getting?

·
Registered
974 Posts
I believe it's the classic p0420.

My question is does anyone know if the ecu backs off timing or anything else until this code is cleared?

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
...and was wondering if it's worth the money to upgrade to a high flow catalytic converter on my 07 Exige S?

no, its not worth it... even if the screen element is not as thick as the stock, its still a restriction & wont provide any extra performance (it'll just alter exhaust tone/note)

either keep your stock CAT, or run a test pipe/CAT delete

I believe it's the classic p0420.

My question is does anyone know if the ecu backs off timing or anything else until this code is cleared?

iirc the 2nd o2 is only a dummy code & doesn't alter the fuel trim in the ECU (like it does in other cars)... but will obviously fail an emissions test if it were to light up

get one of these & never worry about it again...

O2 Simulator, angled, cel fix

FYI, im running this without a CAT & it it works great

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
If it's that easy, I might as well go with a decat. If I do this, will I need to reflash my ECU on my S or will it make the correct adjustments?

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
If it's that easy, I might as well go with a decat. If I do this, will I need to reflash my ECU on my S or will it make the correct adjustments?
it certainly wouldn't hurt, but its not going to make your car badly by any means if you don't

personally, if its just a cat you are removing than its probably not necessary, but if you are removing the cat, upgrading exhaust, a header, smaller pulley, ect... then I would look into it more

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I spoke with Sector 111 yesterday. After that conversation, I think I can put that money towards something that would make a difference. After the research that I've been doing, it seems that the only benefit that I would get would be a louder exhaust note, but would get gasey smell and possible CEL.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I had the WeaponR header for a while, which is similar to the OBX one I guess. I ended up putting the stock one back on just because I hated the smell. It got to the point that I didn't want to go through drive through any more in my car because when you stopped the cloud would catch up and it was awful.

Now I have a 2bular high flow and its a little bit smelly, but only when the car is sitting in one place for a while and even then its within reason. Cost more then $300 though, thats for sure :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I ended up getting a 211 decat from a member. I had to use the angled cel bung with the mini cat. That combo works on my exige s. The sound is pretty sweet but much loader which I'm good with.

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
FYI, i've been using the sport cat for past couple weeks and noticed more drone with it versus decat.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts