The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
That's odd. When I toured Hethel last month there were Exige S's on the assembly line. Perhaps what I saw were still pre-prod models.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
They started production of Friday the 13th :)

·
Premium Member
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, it did say "production" in several places. I guess that's to distinguish them from US modelsrotfl

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
they are making a 2012 exige S headed for the US?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Exige S Prices?

Any rumors of price ranges?
Even if for Euro models, at least that will mark the vicinity.....

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
We are waiting for paperwork to come thru however we will be CA exclusive Lotus Motorsport dealer and will have at our disposable (3) Exige S V6 available for show that will be displayed at the Lotus Cup USA series.

·
Registered
174 Posts
This is the Exige we should have received from the beginning. Too bad we got stuck with the four bangers only and no option on this car...

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
will it be coming over as a race car?
They will be coming here ONLY as race/track cars. They will not be US street legal.

·
Registered
07 Exige S
1,572 Posts
Here is a thought... Someone post a poll on who would buy a

2012 V6 Exige if brought to the US ?

I would have my 07 Exige S up for sale so fast it would not be funny and pre-order one of those....

Believe it. So here is +1 Hethel, bring em here !

·
Registered
7,185 Posts
Those cars are amazing. Quite a step up from any thing Lotus has put out, ever. Would be a super street car, but a real force on a track. Able to run out of the box with some pretty big boys.

·
Registered
663 Posts
agreed.... not that would have the money to buy a new exige s but in a few years I would snag one.... used. The added weight to me is more then negated by the larger engine and stability control stuff.......

The new exige to me is their version of a Noble M400.......

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I don't think some are getting it. It wont be street legal in North America as designed.

Some background: The plans for the Exige V6 go back to 07. The GT3 show car that was in Geneva in 2007 was the concept for what was a developing CUP/Sport version - transitioning from 260 to V6. The plug was temporarily pulled in 08 as funds weren't sufficient to move it into production. That would have been the 2010 restyle. As Exige sales were in decline, funds were reallocated on the Evora which was launching and its marketing. There was a debate that the two cars would conflict against each other. Anyway when the Bahr regime came in, all bets were off and the V6 Exige was not only shelved but killed. A group of engineers continued to press for this as 2ZZ supply was ending and emission changes were coming into play. It was an off and on projected in the mean time but little to no funding was really being allowed. Finally when there was some desperation for product sales, a business case seemed to be accepted. Coco had to restyle it since it didn't fit in the New Era plan (style wise) and he did not like the GT3 concept's design. He disliked most of the former designs and was fairly outspoken about it - calling the Elise/Exige 2 deminsional and his new era designs 3 deminsional. So of course money was allocated to enable Coco to redesign but no money was available to develop the V6 Exige so it would be compatible with all market regulations. See instead of designing and developing the car the way the engineers wanted, any money afforded to the project was limited to design (cause Coco is Dany's pal). The car fully could have been built with a revised interior that would have had Evora airbags and had other qualities that would have made it street legal in all markets if they didn't have to put all funds into design (which again was already ready back in 2007 and validated through the Cadena and GT4 racers whose bodies used the same molds).

As Lotus struggles to get its house in order post Dany, it has no funds to easily allow for the path many here are asking. It's not impossible, just not likely. It's a miracle the car is even being built at all.

Next month the Cup version and a racer will premiere at Brands Hatch. Just wait till you see that one.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts